Poll

What are your favorite condiments? (choose 2)

Ketchup
28 (16.4%)
Mustard (any type)
39 (22.8%)
Mayonnaise
29 (17%)
Salsa
22 (12.9%)
Horseradish
16 (9.4%)
Steak sauce
4 (2.3%)
Other
33 (19.3%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: February 13, 2013, 05:01:07 PM

Author Topic: Your favorite condiment(s)  (Read 2640 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Your favorite condiment(s)
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 07:34:43 PM »
BBQ sauce

My brother pretty much lived on BBQ for quite a few years as a kid. If dinner didn't involve BBQ sauce, he didn't eat it.

Truluv86

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »
Mustard and 'other'. I like both regular and spicy mustard and some brands of honey mustard. 'Other' is probably Miracle Whip. I do LOVE the BBQ sauce from Max & Erma's restaurants and have since I was a kid, but rarely get any of it. Before Arby's got rid of their onion petals I would have said the Southwest sauce that went with them. I ate that stuff on all kinds of things. I still miss it.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
Miracle Whip is NOT mayo.

We use a lot bacon and onion fried together, then sometimes mix that with ketchup or mayo or mustard for hot sandwiches and steaks, sometimes just use it plain. We fry eggs in it without a sauce, too.

I also love nearly any mustard, but you said just two, so both 'other'.
???

Did I miss where anyone dared to say that Miracle Whip was mayo?
I also said "any" type of mustard.

Tea Drinker

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »
Depending on the day, either horseradish and mustard (the two I picked) or one of those and the sweet tamarind sauce I get from my favorite Indian restaurant.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
I like mayo on burgers, an another condiment i make, fry sauce, for french fries... i can also make aoili out of mayo, or dips or... well the possibilities are endless...

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 08:55:54 PM »

No its not. And no one said it was. Miracle Whip is to mayo as ketchup is to marinara. They are similar colors, have the same base ingredents and are used similarly, but have wholly different favors, calories and aren't exactly the same color or consistency. And if people try MW knowing its not mayo and should not taste like mayo, they'd probably like it. I actually love both as condiments.

I also second chipotle Tabasco.

And thai red curry paste - sure it makes a great curry mixed with coconut milk, but its great mixed into other condiments (like mayo or MW or sour cream) for a great sandwich spread, salad dressing or dip.

learningtofly

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
Sriracha and sweet chili sauce.

SoCalVal

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
I selected the two I use most often (pretty much on a daily basis but not together) -- Tabasco and Sriracha.

ebrochu

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »
honey mustard and sour creme. I love dipping pretty much anything into sour creme.

YUM

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

No its not. And no one said it was.

Nope. Just wondered why it was left out!

I forgot sour creme. Do love the stuff!

oceanus

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2013, 11:25:32 PM »

Because there was no season to include it.  Miracle Whip is a salad dressing.There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of salad dressings. toppings, and many other condiments which I didn't include. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:35:45 PM by oceanus »

lisat

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2013, 11:29:12 PM »
Does alloi sauce and balsmic vingar count? I use those two on alot of food. yum

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »

Because there was no season to include it.  Miracle Whip is a salad dressing.There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of salad dressings. toppings, and many other condiments which I didn't include.

Aren't salad dressings condiments?  I mean mayonnaise is a salad dressing.  Blue cheese dressing is a dip as often as not, and sometimes used on sandwiches.  What about stuff like honey or maple syrup?  They can be condiments or sweeteners. Honey mustard is a sandwich spread, a dip and a salad dressing...

Wikipedia defines a condiment as: A condiment is an edible substance, (such as a simple sauce) which is used to be added to some foods to impart a particular flavor, enhance its flavor,[1] or in some cultures, to complement the dish. The term originally described pickled or preserved foods, but has shifted meaning over time.[2] Many condiments are available packaged in single-serving sachets (packets), like mustard or ketchup, particularly when supplied with take-out or fast-food meals. Condiments are usually applied by the diner. Condiments are sometimes added prior to serving, for example a sandwich made with ketchup or mustard. Some condiments are used during cooking to add flavor or texture to the food; barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, marmite are examples.

Sounds like salad dressing would qualify.  They even make great marinades (ever marinade chicken in Italian dressing?  Super yummy!)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 11:50:35 PM »
I love both mayo and mustard, but I also love hot sauce and salsa.  And Toasted Sesame oil and hot chili oil.  And horse radish. 
Mayo would always be my first choice of all.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

oceanus

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 12:04:11 AM »

Aren't salad dressings condiments?  I mean mayonnaise is a salad dressing.  Blue cheese dressing is a dip as often as not, and sometimes used on sandwiches.  What about stuff like honey or maple syrup?  They can be condiments or sweeteners. Honey mustard is a sandwich spread, a dip and a salad dressing...

Wikipedia defines a condiment as: A condiment is an edible substance, (such as a simple sauce) which is used to be added to some foods to impart a particular flavor, enhance its flavor,[1] or in some cultures, to complement the dish. The term originally described pickled or preserved foods, but has shifted meaning over time.[2] Many condiments are available packaged in single-serving sachets (packets), like mustard or ketchup, particularly when supplied with take-out or fast-food meals. Condiments are usually applied by the diner. Condiments are sometimes added prior to serving, for example a sandwich made with ketchup or mustard. Some condiments are used during cooking to add flavor or texture to the food; barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, marmite are examples.

Sounds like salad dressing would qualify.  They even make great marinades (ever marinade chicken in Italian dressing?  Super yummy!)

Wikipedia?  Pffft.

Since it’s that important, maybe you need to get an official opinion (just for the edification of those who need it) from:

Association for Dressings and Sauces
AND
National Condiment Association of America

p.s. – this is supposed to just be another fun thread.  :)