Author Topic: Oh no no no no no no!  (Read 6907 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Oh no no no no no no!
« on: February 10, 2013, 10:49:43 PM »
I just saw an ad for this: http://www.dodgedartregistry.com/

Yep - it's a car registry.

A CAR REGISTRY!!!!!!!!!

Let me assure you, I don't care what Forbes says... anyone hitting me up for car funding - especially in such a crass way - isn't so much getting car money as a relationship re-evaluation, and I don't think they'll like the end result. No extra car funding, and one less friend to hit up in the future.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

StoutGirl

Re: Oh no no no no no no!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 10:57:42 PM »
Yikes!  In my opinion, its one thing to use some of the wedding gift money towards a new car if the couple absolutely needs it, but registering is just appalling!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 11:43:20 PM »
As shocked and aghast as I am about this, I don't see the difference between this and other registries.  All require someone spending money for something you want. 

Did you notice it is actually working for some people?
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

pumpkin grower

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 11:58:23 PM »
I would be way to embarrassed to register for a car!! Can't couples buy a car on their own anymore????? Good grief!!!

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 12:00:38 AM »
Most Popular Car Part on the registries - nuts and bolts. I love this.

"Hey, Honey! Happy Birthday! We were going to give you a $100 cheque, but then we saw the registry and we thought you'd appreciate a donation instead. So we bought you a $1 bolt! Hope you have an awesome day!" ;D ;D ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 12:04:50 AM »
Wow this seems like a new gimme low. I understand people wanting a new car and such but if really feels wrong to register for one. But then again I never did want to register and only did one since my MIL wouldn't take 'no thanks' as an answer.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 01:37:28 AM »
Wow.  :o

Well, at least a Dodge Dart is a practical car.

I want to register for a Ferrari!!!! And when I only get 0.001% of the total cost put into my registry, do you suppose the car manufacturer will let me get it back in cash? Probably not. I'll probably have to pony up the other several hundred thousand dollars and buy the car.

Amava

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 02:01:49 AM »
Oh thanks, very timely! My old car is falling apart.  ;)

I'm already married but do you think I could do this for a vow renewal or something?
Orrrrr. My 40th birthday is soon. Well, not soon. It's more like in Autumn. But hey, 40 IS a milestone. So maybe I should start celebrating early...

>:D >:D >:D

Hey, here's an idea. I'm going to look for a second-hand car that I can afford instead. Call me crazy.  :P

CluelessBride

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »
Wow.  :o

Well, at least a Dodge Dart is a practical car.

I want to register for a Ferrari!!!! And when I only get 0.001% of the total cost put into my registry, do you suppose the car manufacturer will let me get it back in cash? Probably not. I'll probably have to pony up the other several hundred thousand dollars and buy the car.

Actually they do give you the cash. Well, at least the Dodge Dart registry does. In fact, even if you raise 100%, what you really get is a check. Less a 5% commission fee and a 4% payment processing fee, of course.

I'd rather just give cash than 91% of the cash I have to give.

Momiitz

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »
I checked out that website. It looks like people are registering and begging strangers for a new car. I did not see any wedding couples.  The most I saw someone get was $30. You can get a good laugh reading the stories of begging.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 07:59:08 AM »
As with anything else, I don't see this registry as particularly egregious.  As long as it's handled properly (that is, as long as it's only offered to people who specifically ask for gift ideas) it's no worse than a registry for china.  Registries can be used to commit faux pas but used properly a car registry isn't intrinsically rude.

Virg

Coley

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 10:22:03 AM »
I saw this ad the other day, and it sure raised my eyebrows. I predict requests for graduation gifts.

ETA: After looking at the site, it's as if they took the idea of Kickstarter and applied it to funding a car.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:25:16 AM by Coley »

SiotehCat

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 10:30:18 AM »
I would be way to embarrassed to register for a car!! Can't couples buy a car on their own anymore????? Good grief!!!

Well, can't couples buy all of their housewares themselves?

I don't see how this is any different then other registries.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
I saw this ad the other day, and it sure raised my eyebrows. I predict requests for graduation gifts.

I'm actually wondering if parents might use it to set up a registry for a graduation gift for their kid.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »
To me this speaks more of a problem that young people today haven't been taught how to save money.  When I was in my teens and early 20's I was saving for a car.  When asked what I wanted at gift times I wasn't shy to say I was saving for a car, and my parents let people know I was saving for a car. And for many birthdays, X-mas's and graduation I received cash or checks as gifts "for" my car fund. And they all got saved, until I could buy a car.

A car registry isn't all that different, except instead of the individual having the discipline to see that rising bank account balance and not withdraw the cash - for dinner out, for a concert, for a ski trip - its held in the registry which charges the recipient a fee for keeping the money non-withdrawable until it reaches a certain goal amount.

I think this speaks about our current economic situation as a whole, our culture of having the latest and greatest devices and products, of changing our wardrobes every year, and discarding perfectly good phones for no reason other then a shinier one came out, of living beyond our means, charging impulses we'll pay for 'later', etc. People just don't save and wait anymore.