Author Topic: Wounded Warrior Project (Update in original post)  (Read 2218 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Wounded Warrior Project (Update in original post)
« on: February 11, 2013, 02:40:19 AM »
a.k.a. I'm getting electrocuted for a good cause.

On March 2nd I will be participating in an adventure race known as Tough Mudder. Tough Mudder is a 10-12 mile adventure race with obstacles that include icy water, high jumps, fire, and live electrical wires. With the race, you get a fundraising page where all of the proceeds go to Wounded Warrior Project. This is a super groovy charity that raises awareness and helps out wounded military personnel. They are pretty awesome.

So anyway, I figured I'd put a link up to my donation page.

https://register.toughmudder.com/fundraising/donate.aspx?event=12140&fundraiser=r3860703 (Now the correct link!)

I will be updating with pictures of the muddy, freezy, firey, electrocutey goodness once the event is over with.  I'll also mail you a groovy 550 cord survival bracelet!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:12:51 PM by afbluebelle »
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: Wounded Warrior Project
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »
YEA!! Good Luck!

Wulfie

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »
I went to place a donation however there is no place to state how much you wish to donate.  Is it a set amount? If so, how much?

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »
I'm an idiot.

I posted the now defunct team page from my squadron. Everyone bailed on me, so there is no team. The correct link is this one:

https://register.toughmudder.com/fundraising/donate.aspx?event=12140&fundraiser=r3860703

Thank you for pointing that out before it made it to Facebook!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Wounded Warrior Project (Update in original post)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:13:58 PM »
How's training going?

I did one last year...it was fun..but hard

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
How's training going?

I did one last year...it was fun..but hard

I'm doing okay... There is a nice picture of me practicing the electrocution part. Somehow I don't think 3 nine volt batteries on the tongue is the  same as live wires  :P

What would you say is the hardest part, just out of curiosity? This will be the longest adventure race type thing that I've done.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »
The Arctic Enema and Glacier was hard for me because my extremities don't do well in the cold

Everest sucked...big time

All of the water is cold, but it actually feels good after all of the sweating and grossness you'll be covered with

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 12:11:58 AM »
I don't mind cold water (except for showers), so that should be okay. It's probably a good thing too, because I suck at monkey bars.... and gymnast rings. I'm going to look like a drowned muskrat before this is all over.

Who am I kidding? I'm going to be a muddy ball of snot and pain :P I'm just glad I took a good chunk of leave so I'll be able to walk normal and act like a tough chick when I get back to work  >:D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:22:13 AM by afbluebelle »

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 12:41:08 AM »
My sister did one in CO last summer. It was supposedly the hardest one (or one of the hardest ones) they'd constructed yet. She, too, said the Arctic Enema was the absolute worst; it was near the beginning of the run, and she said if it hadn't been, she would have skipped it. It's several levels of magnitude worse than just cold water. I don't know if you've read about it, but you plunge into ice water (it's almost all ice, just enough water to let you move through it), then go under a wall, then you have to pull yourself up and out. Brrr.

She also got done and said, "It actually wasn't that bad, but I wish there had been more running!" She's crazy. She said the electric wires were not bad at all. I think they randomly supercharge a couple of them, and if you get zapped, you go down; otherwise, it looked like the people who just made a run for it did the best. Good luck! I'd like to do this next year. I probably won't be as breezy about it as my sister was when I'm done, though.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »
I've read about it... Before I moved south, I was really into polar plunges. The rough part is going to be the ice cubes slowing down progress, but I have a pretty high tolerance to icy water if I know it is coming.

I fully plan on being honest with you guys, but I plan on being the breeziest person in the world at work. Just because all the guys bailed on me, so I want to make them look like pansies.  >:D  What can I say, picking on the guys is my favorite job perk ;D

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »
Oh my goodness, you so totally rock for doing this!  The WWP is a really worthy cause, and I'm so glad you're doing this to support it.  I wish you ALL the best with this!

Wulfie

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 12:50:21 PM »
I really respect that you are doing this. Great cause and looking at the challenges. WOW. I hope you have a great time and know that I will be here in Seattle cheering you on!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »
I've read about it... Before I moved south, I was really into polar plunges. The rough part is going to be the ice cubes slowing down progress, but I have a pretty high tolerance to icy water if I know it is coming.

I fully plan on being honest with you guys, but I plan on being the breeziest person in the world at work. Just because all the guys bailed on me, so I want to make them look like pansies.  >:D  What can I say, picking on the guys is my favorite job perk ;D
Oh and spring for a deep tissue massage afterwards.  Friends of mine who have done it more than once swore by it and I splurged the day after.  It was painful, but I feel like I recovered a lot faster than I would have just popping pills

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 08:30:40 AM »
I really respect that you are doing this. Great cause and looking at the challenges. WOW. I hope you have a great time and know that I will be here in Seattle cheering you on!

Yeah, I looked at all the challenges. Shouldn't have done that. There is a really dark tunnel one, and I'm a bit on the claustrophobic side. Looks like I'll be smuggling my mini mag light in my bra for that one :P

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2013, 04:34:16 AM »
So... 5 days until the race. I'm awaiting a recall for an exercise. I don't think a week of 12 hour shifts in chem gear is the best way to spend the lead up days, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Oy  :-\