Author Topic: How do you bathe a cat?  (Read 3779 times)

shadowfox79

Re: How do you bathe a cat?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 06:21:17 AM »
Only twice did I attempt to bath my dear departed Tigger.

The first time was after I drove him home from the emergency clinic - he threw up in the carrier, creating a little lake, and splashed around in it all the way home. The second time was after a drive back from the cattery post-holiday, when he covered himself in every bodily fluid he could unleash.

Both times DH held him over the bath and I washed him down with the shower head and some soap before wrapping him tightly in a towel to keep claws covered. He then didn't speak to us for two hours.

I've never tried it with Dash and Spot and don't plan to if I can help it.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 06:37:35 AM »
We always gave my Ginger girl an annual bath, even though she was an indoor cat. It a was a two person job. Mom would hold onto Ginger and I would lather her up while she stood in the tub. Literally, she stood up. And her front paws were on the back of the tub... and she would yowl, like we were killing her. She was declawed in front so we didn't have to worry about being clawed up, though i got bit once. I would talk to her calmly as we bathed her, and then wrap her in her towel, dry her off, and let her out. I hardly ever gave her yum yums because she bolted.

Once we got Mika, the arrangement was a little diffrent. We bathed the cats once a year on the same day. Ginger still yowled. This time it had a purpose. She was saying "BATH! NOOOOO! RUN MIKA RUN!" It... failed. Miserably. When wet Ginger went out of the bathroom, Mika still didn't get the hint, and after draining and replacing the water it was time for round two. This time I would hold kitty while mom watered and lathered. The reason I held kitty was because I knew how to properly pin her down without hurting her. We never got scratched this way. Though mom did freak out while I pinned  her down. "Don't! You'll drown her!" "Mom... she can't drown if her head is above water... now hurry up I can't hold her forever!"

Unlike her sister, Mika did get yum yums for her troubles. And she thoroughly enjoyed them, while looking at me with betrayed eyes. "Mama! How could you do this to meeeeeee!?"

scotcat60

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 07:57:30 AM »
Put cat in a pilow case so that oly the head is showing, put it in the bath. Soap and rinse it.

I saw this recommended in a book about cat care. It did not tell you how to get the cat into the pillow case, without sustaining critical injury to ones hands.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 08:51:53 AM »
^ complete win.

POD!!!  That is hilarious!!

We have a cat who will jump into the tub after you've gotten out, but if the water's turned on, she bolts.

I did have to bathe a cat once because in college we had a stray follow us and she was filthy as well as being a Maine Coon (or at least a mix of that breed and another) so she was rather fluffy.  One friend called her "Koosh Kitty" because she did resemble a koosh ball as fluffy as she was.

She took to it surprisingly well but given her state when we brought her in, she probably welcomed it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

DaisyG

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
My mum's indoor cat got fleas a few times so we had to bathe her (no I don't know how she got fleas). She was a fat black short-haired cat who weighed around 6kg. She wasn't a cuddly kitty and at times could be quite vicious.

We would lure her into the bathroom, and lock her in with my brother, my mum and me. Brother would hold her down in the tub, mum would run the shower on her gently and I would massage the shampoo in and try to help it get out again. Then we would wrap her tightly in 2 towels and hold her there for a bit, massaging some of the water out. As soon as we let go of her and opened the door, she would bolt to her favourite place where she would sit and lick herself for the next couple of hours, giving anyone who approached her an evil stare.

squeakers

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
We bathe the cats at least once a year, usually in the spring.  One cat gets dandruff, one cat sheds a ton and it just makes them all smell better.  We don't do anything special.  Warm to almost hot water with shampoo already in it.  Use a scruff hold so they can't bite you (none have ever tried but better safe than sorry.) Use the movable shower head to wet them thoroughly. Shampoo, rinse and bundle up in two or three towels (first gets sopping wet, second gets damp and the third actually dries them). We end up with a scratch or 2 usually caused by the cat trying to get out of the tub when the bath is over but before a towel was ready.

Bathing them also helps keep my DH from complaining near as much about being "allergic" to cats.  If he was allergic he'd be dead by now (4 cats.)
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

lietya

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2013, 03:49:33 PM »
I hit on this somewhat by accident, but I actually use the shower. I get in, wearing heavy jeans and flannel shirt (despite how icky all this feels when sodden), and hold the cat about chest height. The cat, confronted with falling water and no clear path to the floor or good idea of how far away that floor is, clings on to me instead of fleeing. :) I quickly put some shampoo on, rub what I can, and hold the cat up to the water to rinse. I leave the tub stopper in, too, so that there's some clean-ish water down there if she needs further rinsing; usually the change of attack method and venue will buy me at least one more good swishing at that point.

Granted, this works best with our large, mellow, complacent cat, who mostly just holds on and wonders when it'd be over, with occasional breaks for sneezing when water got in her eyes. The giant angry cat got a single rinse, as I recall, and then had to be chased around done "the hard way," by forcible restraint from two people in the tub.

Snooks

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2013, 03:56:43 PM »
The only time I've had to bathe a cat (he came in with oil on him and I was worried his sister would clean him up) I didn't dry him off properly and came home to a gigantic furball which told me exactly how he felt about that bath.

Nora

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
Kitty is longhaired and cursed with a deeply suspicious and retaliatory mind. We fear and respect her. Most of the time she's spotless, but lately she has been traipsing through some truly aweful swamp grass (or whatever you call it) near our new house and now she's not so much fear- as gag-inducing. Some of you have advised to get a groomer to do it, but I'm in Norway and the only cat groomer I've ever seen has been on american sit coms.  :-\

It needs to be dealt with. This mexican standoff we're having in our house shall come to an end somehow. I'd just like the final battle scene to be the exact opposite of what you'd get from Tarantino, and that cat is the type to channel Lucy Liu; "You didn't think it was gonna be that easy, did you?" *scratches my face off*

I like my face. I didn't always, but I'm used to it now!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

blueyzca01

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
Wow, I never realized how lucky we are with Ridley.

DH bathes her every month or so.  He just takes her in with him when he showers.  The first couple times, I heard the most pathetic wailing, but now, maybe one "meoooooow" then nothing.  He was only scratched up a little the very first time.

Eventually, DH yells, "Okay, Mom, you're up!"  I grab the big towel, wrap up the drowned rat wet cat, then towel rub mostly dry, followed by the hair dryer.  And she runs away from the hair dryer until she realizes that the light heat actually feels better than the cold air. 

No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
The firs thing I thought when reading the title was, very carefully!

The easy option:

1) Thoroughly clean the toilet.

2) Add the required amount of shampoo to the toilet water, and have both lids lifted.

3) Obtain the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

4) In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids (you may need to stand on the lid so that he cannot escape). CAUTION: Do not get any part of your body too close to the edge, as his paws will be reaching out for any purchase they can find. The cat will self-agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the noises that come from your toilet, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5) Flush the toilet three or four times. This provides a "powerwash" and "rinse" which I have found to be quite effective.

6) Have someone open the door to the outside and ensure that there are no people between the toilet and the outside door.

7)Stand behind the toilet as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8) The now-clean cat will rocket out of the toilet, and run outside where he will dry himself.

I am just kidding of course!

I think "the cat will self-agitate" is probably the best part of this one - love it!

I've only bathed a cat once - a friend's cat escaped her apartment and got into the (unfinished) basement of the apartment building.  When my friend finally dragged his poor kitty out, it was covered in dirt and dust and spiderwebs and grime.  Luckily that cat was both small and timid - we just had to stick it under the spigot in the tub and it muttered at us until my friend got the cat wiped down as well as possible.

beakiebean

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2013, 06:26:08 PM »
We had to go through a series of baths with our cats a couple years ago because they got the dreaded fleas. I got pretty darn good at it-my general MO-get the cat in the bathroom, run the water (mine learned to hide when they heard the water-hence getting the cat first). Put something on the bottom of the tub so they have some traction. Hold the cats front paws firmly in one hand-firmly enough that they can't get them free. Lower them into the tub using the other hand to steer them in. Maintain the grip on the front paws at all times-never ever let hose front paws go-they'll eat you alive! Use the other hand to wet, soap, rinse, ect. Mine would buck and wiggle but as long as I kept their front paws under control we could get it done in short order without me getting scratched up.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »
I've been lucky - the cats have accepted their baths, admittedly with very bad grace, without doing any dire injuries to any participants.  This is usually followed by a 'poor drowned kitty' performance, complete with tentative wet-ground steps, piteous howling and serious stink-eye.

I've always done them in the laundry tub - partly filled with warm water, a couple of full jugs on hand, shampoo ready to go.  They don't like it, but they generally stand still and only vocally complain while the bathing is underway.  I try to make it as quick and painless as possible (for all of us!) and only do it in warm weather if possible.  Wet cat, lather cat, rinse cat, wrap cat.  Then they can go and moan about me for the rest of the day.  Once they've finished drying themselves off and grooming, they get a serious brushing, which they seem to accept as a grovelling apology for putting Their Highnesses through such an appalling experience.

It generally works best if Kitty has been bathed from kittenhood, although dear lil Milly had an uncertain past, and never brought out the claws for me when bathed.  And your mileage may well vary if the cat is long-haired - mine are all short hairs (or predominantly short-hair mixes).

curly sue

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »
There is absolutely no way I could persuade my DH aka the cat's father, to sit in the bath with only bathers on, and then give him the cat. 

I want to see a photo of this.

Haha! After I posted I thought there is no way anyone will believe me. I guess we will have to give Burt a bath this weekend. poor kitty!

Nikko-chan

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »
I forgot to mention... Ginger was a long haired cat. My grandmother also had a longhaired cat named Gizmo.... he and she looked much the same after a bath....like drowned rats! They were no longer floofy. And Gizmo had this look on his face like "Nuuuuuu! My handsomeness! It is alll gone! What have you done?! I can't face the alleycats like this!"