Author Topic: Personal Trainer Etiquette.  (Read 2734 times)

snowdragon

Personal Trainer Etiquette.
« on: February 11, 2013, 05:48:17 PM »
At my Y they offer private sessions with a personal trainer for $25 per half hour session.  These are supposed to be one on one sessions with a specific person without interruptions like you would get in a group session or a regular trip to the "wellness center".  I pay for these in blocks of 24  and have them set up from now to July for Mondays and Fridays.  Since the trainer is directing and supervising the person they are training  the fact that this is a private session is fairly obvious. BK/

The past few times I have been their my trainer and I have been interrupted several times per session by people wanting a spotter for weight lifting, help learning to use equipment, help setting up equipment,ect  This is getting aggravating, since it knocks off time from my session that I am paying for.   There are other staff members in the wellness center  that can be asked but because the trainer is more visible they come to the trainer. Some get very rude to both the trainer and myself when I object to being left for these things during my sessions. 
   I have spoken to the trainer - they do not feel comfortable telling these folks she can't leave me to help them, but told me I could inform them that this was a private session that I was paying for ( I am not pleased about that!).  I have started telling them when they interrupt us - "excuse me, but this is a private training session and I would appreciate it if you would find someone else to help you".   Some are ok with this, others get very nasty about it.
  Today the man who interrupted us three times in the same half hour session told me I was "Rude and selfish and needed to be put in my place."   I've spoken to the trainer about how she needs to be telling these folks no, and spoken to the director of the Wellness Dept. about the constant interruptions. I know others have spoken to the Director also - as she told me so.  The director is "looking in to how often this happens " and has spoken to her staff about being more visible on the floor.
  My etiquette question is would it be rude of my to start insisting that the trainer deal with the interruptions rather than having me do it?

CakeBeret

Re: Personal Trainer Etiquette.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 05:53:09 PM »
I think your trainer is being quite rude and you should escalate. This should not be your responsibility.

When you are interrupted, I think your words are fine but you might want to take a look at your tone. Is your tone friendly or brusque? A firm tone with a friendly smile might help you get results.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
Wow.  No you would not be rude to insist the trainer does their job.  Their job is to train you, individually for half and hour.  Full stop.  If they are asked to do anything else during that half hour, they need to say "no, I'm sorry, I can't help you right now, I'm in a contracted training session." And if your trainer does not refuse to be called away, you have every right to be refunded the money you spent on the training session.

As for how the gym can handle this - perhaps trainers could wear a certain color t-shirt, while regular staff wears another (perhaps even with a "Ask me for help" message printed on it, or a button that says something like that).  This way members know at a glance who is available for general help and who is engaged in training.  Also the regular gym staff should be walking the floor regularly checking equipment, available for questions, making sure gym rules and basic safety is being observed, etc.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
Wow.  No you would not be rude to insist the trainer does their job.  Their job is to train you, individually for half and hour.  Full stop.  If they are asked to do anything else during that half hour, they need to say "no, I'm sorry, I can't help you right now, I'm in a contracted training session." And if your trainer does not refuse to be called away, you have every right to be refunded the money you spent on the training session.

As for how the gym can handle this - perhaps trainers could wear a certain color t-shirt, while regular staff wears another (perhaps even with a "Ask me for help" message printed on it, or a button that says something like that).  This way members know at a glance who is available for general help and who is engaged in training.  Also the regular gym staff should be walking the floor regularly checking equipment, available for questions, making sure gym rules and basic safety is being observed, etc.

At my gym, trainers who are currently working with a client wear black shirts that say "personal trainer" or "master trainer." Trainers who aren't with a client, but are on duty, wear red shirts that say "here to help you." That means the gym staff can say "ask anyone in the red 'here to help you' shirt if you have a question or need help," when people first join, and probably makes it easier for the trainers who are with a client to usefully redirect people. Not just "I'm busy right now" but who they should talk to.

That aside, a quick "excuse me, where's the men's locker room" is one thing, but someone who would interrupt your trainer, while s/he is working with you, to ask for a spotter or instruction on how to use a machine is being rude. That would be true even if you weren't paying for a private training session: they're basically trying to cut in line, pressuring someone who is already helping another gym member to abandon her and do something for them.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
This is completely unacceptable and your trainer is being totally spineless. It should not be policy to interrupt helping one client in order to help another - the fact that you are paying for the time just makes it even worse.

I POD with others that your trainer needs to deflect these people firmly but politely to another staff member. If they insist on help from your trainer, they can be told "I am free in X minutes, or you can go get help now from Other Employee." This is prime "I'm afraid that won't be possible" territory! >:D

Your trainer should not be helping others when you are paying for her time, and you should not have to deal with people who intrude on that time. Talk to the higher up about 1) having your trainer grow a spine and 2) getting reimbursed for time lost if these interruptions keep happening during your training time.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

YummyMummy66

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »
Your trainer, not you, should be the one telling these people they cannot help them.  They must see a gym employee.

"Sir, or Maam, I am sorry I cannot help you at this time.  I am in a private session. Please see a gym employee".

I think they should have a tshirt made up, "Personal Trainer - Private Session - Do Not Disturb". 

I'm sorry, but your personal trainer is getting paid for the time.  They need to grow a pair of balls and speak up.   It should not be your job to do so.  If you do not get satisfaction from your personal trainer, than you go to the manager of the gym.  If I still did not get satisfaction, I would be getting my money back and going elsewhere.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 09:25:45 PM »
The trainers at my Y wear different colored shirts and you know not to interupt them. My problem was with one that would hold court blocking 3 - 4 machines while talking to her clients. 

I would go back to the person in charge and ask for a trainer with a backbone who will handle the situation.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

rigs32

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 10:06:36 PM »
In addition to what others have said, each and every time your session is interrupted, I would be keeping track of exactly how much of the 30 min you lost and reporting to management with a request for a partial refund or credit toward an additional session in addition to complaining.

Would a massage therapist pop out for 5-10 min of a 60 min massage to quickly rub down another client?  No.  Would a therapist pop out to take calls from another patient for 10-15 min of a 50 min session?  No.  There is zero reason why you should have to put up with this spinlessness from your trainers or the rudeness from other patrons.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 10:14:46 PM »
In addition to what others have said, each and every time your session is interrupted, I would be keeping track of exactly how much of the 30 min you lost and reporting to management with a request for a partial refund or credit toward an additional session in addition to complaining.

Would a massage therapist pop out for 5-10 min of a 60 min massage to quickly rub down another client?  No.  Would a therapist pop out to take calls from another patient for 10-15 min of a 50 min session?  No.  There is zero reason why you should have to put up with this spinlessness from your trainers or the rudeness from other patrons.

This! I'd let the time lost add up for a few days before I went to management. I'd send an e-mail after each time I went to management, also.

I'd stop everything after what happened today.

Today the man who interrupted us three times in the same half hour session told me I was "Rude and selfish and needed to be put in my place."   

Your personal trainer didn't step in? Does your YMCA allow other instances of bullying go un-checked?

snowdragon

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 10:49:44 PM »

Today the man who interrupted us three times in the same half hour session told me I was "Rude and selfish and needed to be put in my place."   

Your personal trainer didn't step in? Does your YMCA allow other instances of bullying go un-checked?

It hasn't in a while, but we have had issues with people trying to harass others, I think it happens in most gyms to some extent...this Y had a gentleman who used to watch out for it and keep it in check ( usually it took the form of people  getting on the "fat" girls and making them feel bad, and such, since this gentleman recently died the bullying is rearing up again. )

I am running out this block of prepaid sessions and changing to a closer Y branch, because the facilities are better.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 11:20:01 PM »

It hasn't in a while, but we have had issues with people trying to harass others, I think it happens in most gyms to some extent...this Y had a gentleman who used to watch out for it and keep it in check ( usually it took the form of people  getting on the "fat" girls and making them feel bad, and such, since this gentleman recently died the bullying is rearing up again. )

I am running out this block of prepaid sessions and changing to a closer Y branch, because the facilities are better.

What do you want to do here? What is your goal?

snowdragon

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 11:23:27 PM »

What do you want to do here? What is your goal?

My  goal is to make sure I get all the time I paid for before I leave.  I figured it out just now and if my records are correct those prepaid sessions will run out sometime in late June.  So I have a good deal of time they could waste.

I also wanted to check if I was "off" in feeling put out by this, as I tend to not be the best judge in certain situations.

katycoo

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 01:49:19 AM »
OK, while I think your trainer should deal with it, I have another proposal:

Tell you trainer: "I pay for 30 minutes of your time, which I expect to get.  I appreciate that you are not comfortable telling people you cannot assist them when they approach you during my session, however it is not appropriate that I need to enforce my session.  Will you instead agree that if you cannot send the interrupter to another trainer for assistance, that you will add the lost minutes to the end of my session?"

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 03:12:27 AM »
I'd ask for another trainer, one with a spine.  I'm as spineless as they come, but if I were a personal trainer I am pretty sure I'd find it easy enough to say, "Sorry, I'm in a private training session with this client right now, but Other Employee Over There can help you with that."

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 05:04:13 AM »
Dear Lord! What is so hard about saying: "I'm sorry, I'm with a client. So-and-so on the desk can help you."?