Author Topic: Aluminum pan?  (Read 718 times)

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
Aluminum pan?
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
A co-worker of DH's has shared her family's recipe for true Puerto Rican beans and rice.  I'm so excited!!  D  She has even loaned me her official "beans and rice" pan.  She says it is imperative to the flavor coming out just right.  It is aluminum and it is this pan:http://www.uniwarestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_18&products_id=288

Questions:

I can only seem to find this pan online at this site - shipping is going to cost me more than the pan.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable alternative? 

As far as I can tell it is the 1.7qt - I was able to fit 8C water in it, but it went clear up to the rim of the pan, so I'm assuming that isn't how they size pans and it is the 1.7qt.

Is it safe to cook in aluminum like this?  Just straight old aluminum? (hope so - 'cause the stuff is cooking in there right now!  lol)

Any other suggestions for the beans/rice?  (although, really, how much better can you get than someone's family recipe?? ;D ;D)

I'll be sure to check in and let you know how it came out!!

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Aluminum pan?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
A US gallon is 128 ounces, so a US quart would be 32 ounces which is 4 cups (8 ounces per cup) so 1.7 quarts would be a titch under 7 cups.  So I think the measurement is accurate.

(An Imperial gallon is 160 ounces so a quart is 40 ounces or 5 cups.)

Aluminum pots are fine unless you are cooking something really acidic for a long time, like making tomato sauce where you are boiling the tomatoes for hours.

I don't know if the aluminum makes much difference but the pot shape would definitely be important.  It's like trying to make baked beans without a true bean crock.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

joraemi

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:45 PM »
A US gallon is 128 ounces, so a US quart would be 32 ounces which is 4 cups (8 ounces per cup) so 1.7 quarts would be a titch under 7 cups.  So I think the measurement is accurate.

(An Imperial gallon is 160 ounces so a quart is 40 ounces or 5 cups.)

Aluminum pots are fine unless you are cooking something really acidic for a long time, like making tomato sauce where you are boiling the tomatoes for hours.

I don't know if the aluminum makes much difference but the pot shape would definitely be important.  It's like trying to make baked beans without a true bean crock.
:::runs to google "bean crock":::

magician5

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 12:40:31 AM »
Aluminum is fine.

I should think that a dutch oven would do well for this. I'm lucky to live in an area with a large Hispanic population, and I see these things all the time in the grocery for very little ... in fact, I got one for trying the "no-knead bread" recipe in ... and a dutch oven would substitute just fine.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 04:39:23 AM »
I don't know about that specific shape, but would one of those "disposable" pans do?  I see them at the grocery store all the time, in various standard sizes, and I'm guessing they're aluminum.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:19:56 AM »
You can get those in Mexican. or Asian market.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »
I saw pans like that at Target last week - in fact there was a set of three is I recall, in different sizes.  I have seen them at our local Kmart also.  I am in Chicago and there is a large Latino population which may be why they are so available here.  Walmart would likely have them as well.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »
I hope you will share the recipe with us.  I have a recipe from a class mate for the most delicious Cuban black beans and rice.  Beans and rice are practically my favorite food.

joraemi

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 11:04:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look in those stores.  I will ask my friend if it's ok to share her recipe (since its a family thing and all). I don't think she will mind and then I will come back and post it for you.

I thought it was good! Different than what I was expecting- not as spicy- she said you just learn what you like in it over time and tweak it to make it your own.  It should be a fun experimentation over time!!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 12:03:15 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look in those stores.  I will ask my friend if it's ok to share her recipe (since its a family thing and all). I don't think she will mind and then I will come back and post it for you.

I thought it was good! Different than what I was expecting- not as spicy- she said you just learn what you like in it over time and tweak it to make it your own.  It should be a fun experimentation over time!!
Good for you...even though the likelihood that any of us would ever cross paths with that person maybe very low, I like your respect for her family recipe!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.