Author Topic: Mystery gift.  (Read 2858 times)

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: Mystery gift.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »
Were you able to verify that it wasn't charged to your card?

Shortylicious

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 06:02:40 PM »
lol. That's so funny!!!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 06:53:43 PM »
That's very strange.

I suppose if you have Facebook, you can put something like "Just received a sweater, but without the sender!  I'd like to thank them if they would step forward".  Then, if someone does contact you and says "Oh that was me!" you could privately thank them and tell them you appreciate the thought, but that you're afraid it didn't fit right. 

Maybe someone else has a better idea  :-\ .

My sister did this after Loren and Brett got a mystery present in the mail. One of our cousin's replied it was from her boys and a card should have been included. There was a small easy to miss note on the invoice.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
I got a different response from the retailer when I mentioned fraud. They looked into it and the package was shipped to me by mistake.   ...

Wait a minute!  If it was a mistake, how did they get your exact name and address?  And how do you know the "mistake" was that someone using your identity had ordered the sweater to be shipped to them and they accidentally shipped it to you, the card holder instead?  Or am I just horribly confused here?  (It wouldn't be the first time.)

Arrynne

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 07:47:11 PM »
That's very strange.

I suppose if you have Facebook, you can put something like "Just received a sweater, but without the sender!  I'd like to thank them if they would step forward".  Then, if someone does contact you and says "Oh that was me!" you could privately thank them and tell them you appreciate the thought, but that you're afraid it didn't fit right. 

Maybe someone else has a better idea  :-\.

I had to do this when my son received a mystery gift for Christmas.  Fortunately, it was something he could use, but I really wanted to identify the giver so I could thank them properly.  Since it was Christmas, I posted something to the effect that Santa is real and ships using a major shipping provider.  Good luck finding your secret gift-giver.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 08:23:10 PM »
I got a different response from the retailer when I mentioned fraud. They looked into it and the package was shipped to me by mistake.   ...

Wait a minute!  If it was a mistake, how did they get your exact name and address?  And how do you know the "mistake" was that someone using your identity had ordered the sweater to be shipped to them and they accidentally shipped it to you, the card holder instead?  Or am I just horribly confused here?  (It wouldn't be the first time.)

I think OP has made purchases from the place before so they have her name and address on file. Something similar happened to us once with hotel rewards points. Someone with a name very similar to ours made the reservation, checked into the hotel and paid for the room but somehow we got the points. When I called to straighten it out (and make sure we wouldn't be charged for it!) I was told there was nothing they could do to remove the points and to enjoy them. Okie dokie then!  :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:22 PM »
...   I got a sweater in the mail today from an online retailer that I've never used. ...

No, she said she'd never ordered from them before.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 08:27:33 PM »
...   I got a sweater in the mail today from an online retailer that I've never used. ...

No, she said she'd never ordered from them before.

Oh you're right, I missed that! Okay yeah, that's uber suspicious. I'd call the bank and get a credit watch going!

checkitnice

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 09:02:45 PM »
They use amazon for their shipping and fulfillment. We use Amazon quite a bit but there is no suspicious activity on any of our cards.  Thank goodness we only have two to check. I will have the bank take a look tomorrow.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
Definitely stay on top of this. This story has had my suspicions up even after your update. Something really isn't sounding right here. As someone whose credit was compromised just last month, things like this get my attention.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 11:51:52 PM »
I agree with calling the company, asking for a supervisor, and then giving that person the last four digits of your credit card to see if it compares with the one that was used for this order. That will at least let you know if you need to take immediate action about your card, or if it is just a gift from someone yet to be known.
A call to the credit card company can tell about the transactions on the card, so that may also be a way to go, and the method I probably would choose so I wouldn't have to wait for a statement to see if there is anything on there that should not be.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I got a different response from the retailer when I mentioned fraud. They looked into it and the package was shipped to me by mistake. The awesome part?  I get to keep it!  I wore it to work today and got a lot of compliments on it, it's warm, and fits perfectly, so I'll deal with it not being quite the ideal sweater for me.

The retailer sells small batches of luxury items. I'm guessing that they're not carrying the exact item anymore and had no use for it?
I wouldn't be so sure this is safely resolved.  If you never have dealt with them before, how did they get your name and address if not from your credit card or other account information?  And who provided it to them.  I still would watch this situation very closely. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 01:59:24 PM »
Receiving an item in the mail and not being able to find out who sent it would have bothered me because my first thought was "stalkerish behaviour".  I don't want that guy who keeps flirting inappropriately with me to send me an anonymous gift.