Author Topic: I never intended to be a PR person, but I hope I did OK  (Read 3017 times)

FenigDurak

I never intended to be a PR person, but I hope I did OK
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:03:17 PM »
I'm going to struggle here with maintaining Internet anonymity in my post, so bear with me. I will attemp to be as clear as possible.

My fiancÚ came up with an idea to build a life size replica of a popular sci-fi franchise's most popular craft. For a few years it was mostly a pipe dream, but in the last 6 months a few people came together to make the whole ordeal seem attainable. Then the media attention began. We have been interviewed for international publications, local publications, and even the BBC did a short feature on us. This has been an incredible boon for the project.

My fiancÚ and I both also belong to other groups that were formed around the same sci-if franchise, and these groups are internationally known with membership reaching to all continents (save Antarctica). So there is no chance that we know everyone, but we do strive to be friendly. These groups are known for supporting multiple children's charities through volunteer hours and donation gathering.

In the months since the media has begun to contact us for interviews I have stepped in as the PR personal and my fiance's secretary. He is the VP of his company, a Creative Director for a local arts company as well as working on the Big Project and many smaller side projects. To say he's "busy" would be an understatement. I'm an actress and costume maker, so I am re readily available. It just seemed to fit.

There have been a few times that various reporters have contact me for an interview and made it appararent that they did not visit the website (a rant for another day), and are asking for footage of things that are not possible considering all of the volunteers on Big Project are spread across the world.

Recently, today, I received a request from a man neither fiancÚ nor I have ever heard of, claiming to be a member of one of the groups to which we belong. He said he was in town and wanted to come by tonight or tomorrow to see progress on the build. Initially I was quite irritated. I responded that fiancÚ was not available tonight due to a business meeting and that there is very little to see at the time being as many of the physical pieces are in other parts of the country. I continued that the build site is not in a state ready for physical consumption. This is the same response I have given to the media and its also posted on Big Projects blog.

Should I have responded diffently? I'm usually a very straight forward lady, but the nature of the legalities surrounding Big Project have me treading very lightly (intellectual property rights, the parent company was recently purchased by an even larger corporation, etc).

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: I never intended to be a PR person, but I hope I did OK
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:15:44 PM »
It sounds fine to me. If he's got some kind of official pull (like if he's an important member of one of the groups financially backing the project) he should have made his request officially. It sounds like it's just a fan who is interested in the Big Awesome Thing and wanted to see it. If your BF were to indulge everyone with that request he likely wouldn't get anything done.

I'd find out what terminology you can use for a blanket statement and use that. Something like "Thank you for your support. Unfortunately Big Awesome Thing is still under construction and not ready to be unveiled yet. If you'd like to be notified when it goes public please sign up for the newsletter at Blog."

Edited to add - My friend just posted this to FB. Is that it? Haha
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/461687407/kickstarter-open-source-death-star
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:26:30 PM by JenJay »

FenigDurak

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »
Haha! No, that's not us. Due to the operating limitations set on us by parent company, we are not allowed to request donations. We can seek out volunteers, and sell t-shirts, but the t-shirt money maintains the website.

He was just a random member of "robot makers" club that makes the most popular robot from said franchise,

Correct franchise though. ;)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:12:28 PM »
You did just fine and I think you were very professional in your reply.  I would give everyone the same stock answer so you don't have to worry about all the little details each time you reply.

Also, I found it  ;) and all I can say is HOLY COW THAT IS AWESOME!
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Iris

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
You did just fine and I think you were very professional in your reply.  I would give everyone the same stock answer so you don't have to worry about all the little details each time you reply.

Also, I found it  ;) and all I can say is HOLY COW THAT IS AWESOME!

POD to all of this - that is, if it's what I think it is  :)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 03:44:33 AM »
I'd find out what terminology you can use for a blanket statement and use that. Something like "Thank you for your support. Unfortunately Big Awesome Thing is still under construction and not ready to be unveiled yet. If you'd like to be notified when it goes public please sign up for the newsletter at Blog."

I think you did fine. I agree with what JenJay wrote. Just say it with a nice, friendly tone of voice like you sincerely appreciate the attention/support so that you don't lose fans and you'll do fine.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:03:11 AM »
I think you did absolutely fine.  You might want to request email addresses to alert fans/volunteers when Big Project is finished.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
Was this a real question?

Cool project though.

onyonryngs

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »
I'm confused.  If you're not supposed to be the PR person, then why list yourself as the PR person?  Or is it that you just didn't go into the project intending to do that & now you are?  As for the anonymity thing, a quick Google brings up the project, your name, 6 other names for people on the project & all sorts of contact info.  And for the actual question - if it's your normal answer to PR questions, I don't think that it's rude.

FenigDurak

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
About the anonymity, I know that there is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of clever and intrepid folks from exercising their Google-fu. It's more that I didn't want to post names and links. FiancÚ has the page set up to list link backs so he can track how the story is passed around. That page is viewable to all viewers, which would lead folks here. I didn't want the guy who asked for a personal tour to see that I had posted about him.

And yes, I'm aware that in a few short months I'll become Leah Lee. Maybe I'll hyphenate...

But I digress. When I came on to the project I came on as a builder. I weld, sew, upholster, and am learning electronics on a basic level. But as an actress and seamstress who works from home, I have more time available to answer requests for interviews, photos and footage, so I took on the role of PR girl. It takes a big stressor off Fiance's shoulders so he can focus better on work, the Maker's Fair, the pumped up power wheels project and overhauling his robot. Yes, he is a busy boy.

For those whose Google-Fu is not strong, and because I'm very proud of the work being done, Big Project is Star Wars related, takes place in the new Millenium, and in the shape of a Falcon.