General Etiquette > Life...in general

Like the artist, don't like his art--what to say?

<< < (2/4) > >>

yokozbornak:
"Listening to your album was so interesting.  I don't know much about that genre, but I could tell that it was good.  Why don't you tell me more about it?"

This opens up conversation, stays positive, and shows your interest. 

DaDancingPsych:
I think it's wise to admit that this is not the sort of music you usually listen to. This will help avoid future awkward situations. Then I agree that I would find SOMETHING that I liked about it. There must be something. "It has a great beat to dance to!" "It was so soothing and relaxing!" "That saxophone player was awesome." "Your song titles made me laugh; how creative!" I also agree that we don't have to love all music, but there is typically something to appreciate, even if it's no more than, "I can tell you put a ton of work into this!"

Oh Joy:
I'm a fan of asking artists about their early influences.  You never know who was initially a Beatles fan or first lit up at van Gogh's watercolors, and you may have a common or pop culture thread.  Chances are, they care more about talking about their passion in general than their current work.

Tabby Uprising:

--- Quote from: Oh Joy on February 13, 2013, 09:31:16 AM ---I'm a fan of asking artists about their early influences.  You never know who was initially a Beatles fan or first lit up at van Gogh's watercolors, and you may have a common or pop culture thread.  Chances are, they care more about talking about their passion in general than their current work.

--- End quote ---

I like this.  The more you can get him talking about his music, the less you have to say. 

Cami:
I have a friend who makes jewelry. I do NOT like her style. Not one bit. But I can always find one thing to compliment -- the color, the shape, the way she twisted a piece of metal, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version