Author Topic: "Hey, You Have My ID for an Uncomfortably Long Time..."  (Read 4862 times)

bloo

Re: "Hey, You Have My ID for an Uncomfortably Long Time..."
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2013, 08:20:20 AM »
If your ID is in a new format, it may have simply taken him a little while to find the info he was looking for, or to assure himself it was genuine and he could accept it, especially if he is developmentally delayed.  The fact your credit card was damaged, necessitating asking for the ID in the first place kind of marked your card for close inspection.

So while I can understand you feeling uncomfortable, he didn't do anything wrong either.  The age comment was a bit odd, but no more than that.

I tend to lean towards this. I can understand your discomfort, OP, but when I was bartending, I'd see a few different types of ID's and sometimes it would take a bit for me to scan them to find the birthdate and make sure it wasn't expired as well as compare the photo to the person standing in front of me.

Slightly OT: I bartended at a corporate-type restaurant which translation=I could be sued along with the GM, server and the whole store and company if I screwed up and served a minor or someone already drunk. My personal liability was drilled into me in training.

During our opening night I had a couple come in. The woman looked young and the gentleman looked old enough to be her father. I asked for her ID and looked at it a looooong time because while she didn't look wildly different from the photo, she didn't look the same. The young woman volunteered, "That photo was before I colored my hair." (The photo showed long, dirty blond hair and the young lady in front of me had a very light shade of blonde). Her volunteering that info was a tipoff that it was not her ID since, IME, people get 'ticked' not 'helpful' when you question their ID.

But since it was close enough, I didn't argue and I served them. The next night the gentleman came in and admonished me for how I treated the young woman. "I got her that fake ID and because of the way you treated her, she won't come back or use it anywhere!"  :o I was 20 years old and super busy, otherwise I'd have got a manager to deal with him, but I didn't see either of them come back while I worked there. There are different types of valid ID's and I don't care where I've been when my ID is requested, it always takes the cashier/clerk/teller a little while to locate the information they need - whether it's the birthdate or driver's license number.

Thinking out loud here: I wonder if it's because everything has gone digital with most people seeming to use debit cards and maybe using up-to-date credit cards that anything outside of that slows the process down. I recently went to a shoe store and that has two locations within a couple of minutes of each other . I bought some shoes and paid by check and the salesgirl was pleased that I already had my driver's license number on the check (maybe this is a bad idea but I write few checks and don't have a debit card) so she just compared the license to the check. I joked about being a dinosaur for still writing checks and in all earnestness, she explained that she still got plenty of checks. But it still took her a bit of time to read the check and my license to compare.

Well they had a pair of shoes my daughter liked but not in her size so they called and located them at their other location (in our local shopping mall). I went directly there to purchase those shoes and wrote another check. It was a big pain-in-the-behind because her checkreader wouldn't process it and she spent 20 minutes on the phone with corporate while they walked her through the check reading process. She was very apologetic and sweet and I, too, joked about being a dinosaur and still writing checks. She said, "Yeah, yours is the first check I've had in forever. Nobody here writes checks."  ::) 

jane7166

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2013, 11:14:02 AM »
During our opening night I had a couple come in. The woman looked young and the gentleman looked old enough to be her father. I asked for her ID and looked at it a looooong time because while she didn't look wildly different from the photo, she didn't look the same. The young woman volunteered, "That photo was before I colored my hair." (The photo showed long, dirty blond hair and the young lady in front of me had a very light shade of blonde). Her volunteering that info was a tipoff that it was not her ID since, IME, people get 'ticked' not 'helpful' when you question their ID.
But since it was close enough, I didn't argue and I served them. The next night the gentleman came in and admonished me for how I treated the young woman. "I got her that fake ID and because of the way you treated her, she won't come back or use it anywhere!" :o I was 20 years old and super busy, otherwise I'd have got a manager to deal with him, but I didn't see either of them come back while I worked there. There are different types of valid ID's and I don't care where I've been when my ID is requested, it always takes the cashier/clerk/teller a little while to locate the information they need - whether it's the birthdate or driver's license number.

Excuse my while I pick up my jaw from the floor and ratchet it shut.  The guy was mad because you gave his girlfriend with a fake ID a hard time?   

bloo

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »
But since it was close enough, I didn't argue and I served them. The next night the gentleman came in and admonished me for how I treated the young woman. "I got her that fake ID and because of the way you treated her, she won't come back or use it anywhere!" :o I was 20 years old and super busy, otherwise I'd have got a manager to deal with him, but I didn't see either of them come back while I worked there. There are different types of valid ID's and I don't care where I've been when my ID is requested, it always takes the cashier/clerk/teller a little while to locate the information they need - whether it's the birthdate or driver's license number.

Excuse my while I pick up my jaw from the floor and ratchet it shut.  The guy was mad because you gave his girlfriend with a fake ID a hard time?

Yeah I know, right? I gave him a clearly sarcastic non-apology ("So sorry I made breaking the law so tuff on you. She still got to drink.")

Unfortunately, that experience made me even tougher and more cynical about people when it comes to ID's.

CookieChica

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice all! I will drop it.

I was mainly thrown by the birthdate because for a purchase without age restrictions, I wouldn't expect someone to look so I immediately went to an identity theft or worse scenario (my husband marathons Criminal Minds on a regular basis and I guess it makes you paranoid!)

johelenc1

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 10:45:01 PM »
Personally, I think you are over-reacting.  It's the job of the cashier to check your ID thoroughly.  It takes as long as it takes.  I think the idea that the cashier will turn into a stalker is incredibly unlikely.

DavidH

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
Since the time was "at least a minute" it doesn't sound that long or worth complaining about. If you add a few seconds beyond the normal amount of time to process the new format and a few more to process that the name isn't exactly the same and figure out the maiden+married vs maiden alone part, then it's pretty reasonable.

His comments were not really appropriate, but taken as a failed attempt to be nice, it doesn't seem like a complaint will serve much purpose.

mageofmyth

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 06:02:27 PM »
You might think about signing your card with an permanent marker, some are very fine tipped.  At least then you would have a signature, it should still work on the plastic.