Author Topic: School Valentines Day norms  (Read 2066 times)

Elisabunny

Re: School Valentines Day norms
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
This year our first-grader insisted on making her Valentines.  She did them all herself, even if by the end some were just a heart with a sticker and the "to" and "from".  She came home with the usual assortment of cartoon valentines, plus one homemade, one magnet, and a few pieces of candy. There was also one that I had never seen before: the kid's parents had made photo cards of him. ???  Nothing wrong with the idea, just odd.

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

elephantschild

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 07:30:27 PM »
OP here. After posting I barely got back to EHell yesterday or today, so it was too late anyway. :)

Between time constraits and personal inclination, we just didn't get anything else and he took the cards. You should SEE the loot that came home! Plastic gadgets and gizmos and candy and stickers and ... oy.

I felt a little bad that we only sent cards, but really, who needs more of that ?

Next year we may make the cards, but I think the boys really like picking out the cartoon ones like everyone else. I may keep my eyes open for a truly useful do-dad to put with them next year, if such a thing exists.

Then again, I may not.  ;)
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
If you have someplace to stash them, you could probably hit Target, JoAnns, atc and find Valentine's pencils or the like on sale and give them next year.

Rohanna

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
My son got mostly just cards or cards with a "built in" sticker and a handful with suckers attached- and one home made cookie. We just did a card cause we were travelling and I didn't have time to do anything else.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Jones

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 07:59:36 PM »
Ha; my Jean brought home a bag of assortments, very little still attached to their respective cards. Nobody went overboard with a baggie of stuff, but one person made juice boxes into robots, thereby earning the title of "that mom" this year.

m2kbug

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 12:19:25 AM »
I have never experienced such elaborate gifts and goodies for my kids' valentines (or Halloween or Christmas).  Most everybody just did those little cards.  They decorated lunch bags or shoe boxes to collect the cards, which sometimes we had to do at home, other times they decorated those in the classroom.  Sometimes the teacher would plan a craft project or class party and ask for donations. 

For the Valentines, some people taped a piece of candy to the card or attached a lollipop or gave a box of candy hearts, and some people gave pencils or little toys, but mostly just those cards.  I've bought the Valentine candy to give away instead of plain cards, it just depends on if the candy is affordable or if there's enough for all the kids; people snatch up those candy Valentines pretty quick.   A few times people have put together some pretty nice little gifts that took some time and probably wasn't cheap, but mostly just those little cards.  If there was a class party, they might come home with some cookies or a cupcake.

beakiebean

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 12:47:35 AM »
Oh my-I think I might have earned "that mom" status this year.  :( One of our party planners didn't respond to any e-mails until the day before the party when she announced she was bringing goody bags for the kids. Which left me with 24 goodie bags sitting on my table that I'd filled 2 days earlier....lovely. Since everything was already assembled in the goodie bags I handed them to the kiddo and said-look-you can take them for Valentine's day. Sigh-at least I didn't have to lick all those tiny envelopes....

m2kbug

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 02:03:54 AM »
Oh my-I think I might have earned "that mom" status this year.  :( One of our party planners didn't respond to any e-mails until the day before the party when she announced she was bringing goody bags for the kids. Which left me with 24 goodie bags sitting on my table that I'd filled 2 days earlier....lovely. Since everything was already assembled in the goodie bags I handed them to the kiddo and said-look-you can take them for Valentine's day. Sigh-at least I didn't have to lick all those tiny envelopes....

Hahaha!  ;D I don't think I'd worry too much about being labeled "that mom" and you really weren't "that mom."  I have actually been rather impressed and envious at the creativity and the amount of money and time they got to spend on the treats.  In my experience, most people aren't trying to show off or out-do other parents or put themselves on a pedestal over their super special and better gift that outshined everyone else's.  There have been some Queen B's over the years, and they're the ones get the "that mom" label.  The "that mom" also bemoans the fact that other people just provided little cartoon cards. 

Giving extra goody bags is totally cool.  You were compensating for someone that was MIA and making sure the kids got their treats, then she actually came through, so the kids benefited with extra goodies.  I'd be a little peeved at MIA, but everything worked out.

Betelnut

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 04:04:49 AM »
Update--lots and lots of lollipops and hard candy.  Very few assembled goody bags.  One homemade cookie with my daughter's name in icing!  99% of the cards were cheap store bought.  Only a few useless items (I don't consider candy useless!)

We still did just cards so I'm glad there weren't too many over the top items.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:04:34 AM by Betelnut »
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

workerbee

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
I have been both a stay-at-home mom with kids in half day preschool, and (now) a full-time working mom with kids in daycare. In my experience, the half-day preschool treats were far more elaborate. I'm assuming because the moms had time to be creative! This year, with my kids in daycare (so presumably all the other parents work too), the cards tended toward the store bought, with a few lollipops or other treats thrown in. My son's cards were actually probably the most elaborate, but that's really because he loves art and wanted to make them himself!

As far as I'm concerned, it's not a competition. :) People can do what they have time for, and what they enjoy. Some people really enjoy being crafty and creative - more power to them! Others have kids who enjoy picking out store bought cards - fine by me! Just keep it fun and easy.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 09:24:07 AM »
This year our first-grader insisted on making her Valentines.  She did them all herself, even if by the end some were just a heart with a sticker and the "to" and "from".  She came home with the usual assortment of cartoon valentines, plus one homemade, one magnet, and a few pieces of candy. There was also one that I had never seen before: the kid's parents had made photo cards of him. ???  Nothing wrong with the idea, just odd.

My Second grader got a photocard!  She really liked it as it was from one of her good friends. I don't think I'll start making them, but it must be a trend somewhere.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 10:20:42 AM »
I'm a kid at heart; I love every holiday. So when my boys were in school I really got into it.

I usually made sugar cookies or cupcakes for the whole class, then bought holiday-themed pencils for each chid (Oriental Trading has good stuff).

bonyk

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »
The kids in my class really went overboard this year.  Each brought in candy.  3 different kids brought in goody bags.  One girl wrote an individualized poem for each of her classmates.  I got 3 bunches of flowers and 8 boxes of chocolate. 

It was really nice, but a bit much.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »
This is my first year with any experience. We bought some Valentines at the store, I assembled them (she's only 4), and then as an extra touch I taped a Hershey's kiss on the outside of each. It was really inexpensive and didn't take much time. Well, the assembly did, but that's because I'm a moron at anything craftylike.

I have to admit, I added the Hershey's kiss as an extra touch because I was the poor kid who always had the lame, cheap Valentines, and I got teased for it. I know preschoolers don't care, but I can't help it. Most of the Valentines she brought home had a small candy stuck to them, too. Almost none of them are homemade.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

elephantschild

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »
Thing is, I'm fine with the homemade items! Even, to some small extent, the candy. (Although ... hard candy for pre-K kids? Seriously? And the sheer amount some people send in is mind-boggling.) 

Last year, both boys took homemade cookies meant to look like conversation hearts to school. (With classmates' names written in royal icing.) This year, DS1 took heart-shaped pink rice crispie treats drizzled with white chocolate to school. :D  I'm certainly guilty of going over the top a bit myself. (These were meant for the school party, not necessarily to take home, but I'm sure some kids did.)

It's the little plastic stuff ... sometimes baggies of it! ... by which I'm baffled. It's generally the sort of thing that immediately gets broken, often under foot, it seems.  :-\ The last thing we need is more clutter.

Maybe that's a double-standard.  :-\ Is it?
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling