Author Topic: Is this a scam? A bad deal?  (Read 1486 times)

Friday

Is this a scam? A bad deal?
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:47:22 PM »
http://artist.cm/

My daughter is trying to put her artwork out there.  She found this site.  It requires a membership, and read their terms of use.  Not sure that I think totally.  Interested in other opinions.

onyonryngs

Re: Is this a scam? A bad deal?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »
I'd try etsy or ebay.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »
I remember years ago that any site with a .cm domain was considered a scam.

I know that our corporate firewall blocks any site with a .cm domain.

Steve

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »
It looks like a bad deal to me. The domain is in Cameroon, not really trustenspiring. Also the terms of service oblige you to sent artwork to them, at your own expence, and ten gives them the right to use it  for promotion. It doen not state promotion of what, so possibly their own site....
I agree with the others, try etsy, ebay or visit the local galleries.

Amara

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 03:36:08 PM »
I didn't check out your link, OP, but I too suggest etsy. She might also look into 20x200, though the site appears to be undergoing some renovation at the moment. (I've bought from 20x200 and like it.)

Dalek

• Am not amused!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 04:50:51 PM »
I recommendsty Etsy.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Carotte

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 05:08:24 PM »
Even if not a scam, if she is not selling the original but reproductions (illustrations, photos..) tell her to look at redbubble or society6, they're both platforms where you upload your artwork and they take care of the printing/shipping and you get a fee. (even if you make less per sale it's a lower risk - no cost upfront - no work way to test the market)

magician5

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
deviantart.com might be good.

Also, locally, she should go everywhere there's art with a price tag on the walls: local libraries, galleries, craft exhibitions (no, artists, "craft" is not a dirty word)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:15:33 PM by magician5 »
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 05:26:53 PM »
There is also Fine Art America - http://fineartamerica.com/sell-art-online.html. No idea how they are to the artists, but I bought my Dad a print from them that he quite likes.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »
deviantart.com might be good.

Also, locally, she should go everywhere there's art with a price tag on the walls: local libraries, galleries, craft exhibitions (no, artists, "craft" is not a dirty word)

I've been to quite a few restaurants, cafes and even once a resort that hung art on the walls with a discreet tag below identifying the art, the name of the piece and the price it is available for purchase for.  Its a win-win for a small business and local artists - the business essentially gets free art to decorate with and the artist gets to showcase their art to a wide audience.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »
Etsy and DeviantArt are good sites for selling artwork.

I also agree that small local places might be a good idea for her too. Around here I've seen local artists selling their work in places like wineries, small galleries, coffee shops, and locally owned bookstores.

Also, if she wants business cards, have her check out moo.com. You can get their mini moo cards, which are adorable little business cards, printed with your own images on the front and your contact info/website URL on the back. They run deals all the time where you can get a box of their mini cards just for the $5 in shipping. They're totally worth it. I have 3 boxes of their mini cards. They're a big hit with people cause of the small size. She should have some cards printed up with her artwork, and keep them with her to give to people who ask about her art.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:54:05 PM by LadyClaire »

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 03:21:39 AM »
Another place to go if she's creating art suitable for T-shirts or posters is zazzle.com.