Author Topic: Should something be said to correct them? (Facebook and 'infotainment')  (Read 3670 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Thanks to you guys who suggested the filtering options - now I can see baby stuff, but no more crazy stuff. Hooray!

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
You can filter what you see on your news feed from people.  I have a few friends that sound similar, I've changed their new feed status to "Only Important," and that I only want to see photo's and life updates but not status updates.  That way I can for example see pictures of my cousins vacation or her new motorcycle, but not her rantings against the govt.

This would have been my suggestion. And clearly, you're a genius (or I am) because it's already working.  ;D
The days are long but the years are short.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
I have a cousin and a BIL on exact opposite sides of just about every major issue of the day, to the point where some of their postings are of the raving, name-calling, tinfoil-hat-wearing variety, so I'm getting hammered from both sides ("Tastes great!" "Less filling!")  It's taken me about 2 years to learn to just scroll past the nutty posts to the ones I'm interested in.

I have to keepreminding myself of the cartoon caption: "I must take action!  Someone on the Internet is wrong!!!", because really, it doesn't matter.  I'm not going to change their minds by pointing out any half-truths/untruths/myths they post; I'm not going to inform or enlighten them or the people who agree with them, so why bother?  Take a deep breath and move on.

I just wanted to laugh at your reference there in the bold. That's all.

(Oh, and the "Someone on the Internet is wrong!")

I wish you could set Facebook to filter out all statuses with trigger words like "Obama" and "Limbaugh" and "conservatives" and "liberals" and "Pelosi" and "Rand" and "guns."

I suspect that if you use "Only Important," then you get posts that have a lot of likes/comments. If I'm right, then that may not help in every situation, because those rantings may get a lot of likes, etc.

Sophie Jenkins

If you want to filter out those posts, there is a browser addon called Social Fixer. You can filter out posts with certain keywords, so they never appear in your newsfeed. It's been amazing for me.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
If you want to filter out those posts, there is a browser addon called Social Fixer. You can filter out posts with certain keywords, so they never appear in your newsfeed. It's been amazing for me.

I've been using SF for over a year and I didn't realize that  :P. Thanks!!

DoubleTrouble

I've been using SF for over a year and I didn't realize that  :P. Thanks!!

I was just trying to remember what it was because a friend used it during the last election, thanks!

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!

I can't thank you enough for pointing me in this direction.