General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Stepped in a big pile of Facebook UPDATE

(1/5) > >>

weeblewobble:
I recently reconnected with Jim, a high school acquaintance who joined my church.  (His dad is a long-time member.)  I friended him on Facebook months ago. Every once in a while, we'll like each other's statuses, but we don't chat or PM or anything like that.  A week ago, I noticed that I got a PM from Jim which sounded suspiciously like spam.  (It was one of those "Would you spend two minutes watching a youtube video if it would change your life?" spiels.)  Plus, it broke with our usual Facebook interactions.

Thinking that Jim's account had been compromised, I mentioned it when I saw him at church on Sunday, asking, "Hey, did your account get hacked?  I got what looked like spam in a PM from you."  He said, "Huh, I don't think so, but I'll look into it."  And of course, yesterday, I get another PM from him saying, "No, I haven't been hacked, but I'd really like you to look at this video.  Blahblahblah, bad MLM sales pitch."

Dang it.

Now, I'm a little embarrassed that I inadvertently called his "business plan" spam.  But, it was an honest reaction, and I have no interest in this "life-changing" product.  I won't apologize for my reaction, but I am wondering if I should follow up with a no-thanks, or should I let my original, "Hey, this is spam." reaction stand as my no?

FTR: If Jim persists with sending me these messages, I'm willing to unfriend him, because no acquaintanceship is worth being hassled in my inbox.

Shoo:
You called his "business plan" spam because that's exactly what it is.  He's trying to hook you into something not quite on the level, probably an MLM.

I think you should probably just say, "No thanks.  I am definitely not interested."  And keep repeating as needed until he finally leaves you alone about it.

Lynn2000:
I would not apologize or even mention it to him again (on person or on FB). If he brings it up either place, you can just politely tell him you're not interested. And escalate from there if necessary. I don't think you did anything wrong or rude.

Softly Spoken:
*chuckling*
Sorry, but based on the title of this thread I was expecting far more drama. ;D

Your calling his message spam says more about his message/marketing technique than it does about you!

You didn't step in anything, unless you count the steaming pile of pushiness he left in your inbox.

You are not obligated to give his sales pitch any attention. If you think your polite refusal will be accepted and cause him to stop sending you annoying messages like that, then by all means let him know that he needs to peddle his MLM wares elsewhere. If you refuse his pitch and he persists, then he is an idiot and you should feel no guilt in cutting him loose or at the very least tweaking your filters/settings.

Intellectually, I understand the importance of persistence when it comes to sales, but OTOH I never saw why people couldn't just appreciate the hint to not waste their efforts and see the value in moving their time and attention to a more viable target- er I mean customer.  ;)

oceanus:

--- Quote from: Lynn2000 on February 13, 2013, 05:57:41 PM ---I would not apologize or even mention it to him again (on person or on FB). If he brings it up either place, you can just politely tell him you're not interested. And escalate from there if necessary. I don't think you did anything wrong or rude.

--- End quote ---

This.  I wouldn't bring it up again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version