General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Stepped in a big pile of Facebook UPDATE

<< < (5/5)

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: Mikayla on May 08, 2013, 02:59:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Twik on May 06, 2013, 12:40:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mikayla on April 28, 2013, 01:43:04 PM ---And if someone doesn't need to lose weight, or never has, why would they be a target market?   

--- End quote ---

They're breathing.

They have money.

Ergo, a target market.  >:D

--- End quote ---

Oh trust me, I fully get that part.  "Target" may not have been the best adjective, but I can't think of a different one.  For MLM, "target" = enough brain waves to sustain cardiac rhythm.

But I still see a difference between Tupperware and weight loss in terms of the blanket coverage and potential minefields.  Nobody is going to be offended at being given the opportunity to purchase kitchen storage components.  With weight loss, if someone is overweight, or isn't but has struggled with it, the annoyance factor isn't about whether they push it repeatedly.  It's that they mentioned it in the first place.

--- End quote ---

True. It's a more sensitive issue and so there's more potential to offend. Just know that if it happens to you (general you), it's probably not as personal as it sounds--it's just the way they're trained to push the product.

Hazmat:

--- Quote from: Softly Spoken on February 14, 2013, 12:01:20 PM ---You didn't step in anything, unless you count the steaming pile of pushiness he left in your inbox.

--- End quote ---
I love this phrase!  It describes Spam perfectly! 

JenJay:
Ugh! About 2-3 years ago I was waiting around just before school let out when another mom approached me and struck up a conversation. She asked a lot of questions (What do you do? What's your husband's name? What does he do? Etc.) but friendly. I figured she was just really outgoing so I chatted with her. She started telling me how she had recently started her own business and she was so happy, etc. Then she dropped the bomb that she sold a weight loss program (food and supplements) and she'd love to discuss it with me.

Okay, I could have lost 25lbs (And have lost 15-20, in a safe and healthy way, over the past 18 months, thankyouverymuch!), but who does that?! I was hurt but politely declined, rounded up my kids and left. A few days later I started receiving invitations to add her on Linked (which I don't even use), Facebook, etc. She had used our names & occupations to track me down online and try to recruit me. I just deleted/ignored it all and avoided her at school functions. She tried 2 or 3 times then gave up.

Sorry you had to deal with that, WW. He's a jerk!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version