General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Stepped in a big pile of Facebook UPDATE

<< < (2/5) > >>

weeblewobble:
Well, Jim just sent me another pitch PM, so he has been defriended. 

What really stinks about this is that Jim is trying to sell me weight loss products.  Since Christmas, I have done a sort of total body overhaul and have lost a significant amount of weight.  I have posted a little bit about it on facebook.  (Funny gym stories, "Hey, look I fit into this dress I haven't worn since before my kids were born!" and that sort of thing.) And I feel like he's targeting me for the weight loss products because of my posts. I do not like that.

So Jim has been defriended. I anticipate him commenting on it the next time I see him.  And I may let him know what I think of his sales tactics.  I will be icily polite.

blarg314:

Just tell him that you only use Facebook for social contacts.

Or, if you're a good actor, Evilblarg suggests bursting out in tears and sobbing "You think I'm fat!" if he brings it up.

EllenS:

--- Quote from: weeblewobble on April 12, 2013, 11:33:58 PM ---And I feel like he's targeting me for the weight loss products because of my posts. I do not like that.

--- End quote ---

No, he's targeting you because he's targeting everyone he has access to.  That is what that type of marketing does.

If he brings it up again (he likely will), I would see nothing wrong with saying that exact sentence above, followed by, "do not contact me about this again."

Mikayla:

--- Quote from: EllenS on April 16, 2013, 11:11:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: weeblewobble on April 12, 2013, 11:33:58 PM ---And I feel like he's targeting me for the weight loss products because of my posts. I do not like that.

--- End quote ---

No, he's targeting you because he's targeting everyone he has access to.  That is what that type of marketing does.

If he brings it up again (he likely will), I would see nothing wrong with saying that exact sentence above, followed by, "do not contact me about this again."

--- End quote ---

I sort of disagree.  On the first, weight loss products are not the same as kitchenware or candles or timeshares.  There'd be no reason to send this to someone who is skinny and always has been.  Now that I think about it, I'd guess anyone receiving this would be offended.  It's basically saying "here, this might help".

And on the second, I don't see why OP needs to bring her own weight struggles/success into it.  If she wants to, great, but I wouldn't.  I think the defriending makes it clear where she stands on the subject.

TurtleDove:
I don't know what the products were, and absolutely support the OP in defriending someone who is marketing to her after she expressed she isn't interested, but I don't think the OP should be upset that Jim is targeting her becuase of her weight.  I suspect he is targeting everyone he knows. 

As an example, I have an aquiantance who has continuously sent me personal messages, called me on the phone, and outright posted to my facebook wall about her products that are for weightloss, I suppose, but also touted as "this will help you reach your optimal fitness and feel your best!"  It's not an indication to me that she thinks I need to lose weight, but rather that I am someone she knows who is interested in reaching optimal fitness.  Now, I ended up having to be pretty blunt with her that I am not interested in the products she is selling, but never did I think that she was targeting me because she thinks I am fat.

Congratulations on your fitness success, OP!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version