Author Topic: Peanut Allergy  (Read 1405 times)

asb8

Peanut Allergy
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »
I am not starting this thread to touch off a debate.

I need some help.  I volunteered to let some family member stay in my apartment this weekend for a wedding.  The wedding party dropped off two gift bags, one for the parents and one for the 2 kids to share.  One of the children has a peanut allergy (fairly severe) and the gift bags contains peanut butter cracker, reeses cups and mini-snicker bars.  I am positive the HC simple forgot about the allergy in all the wedding fuss and I don't think AT ALL this was done on purpose.  Absolutely a mistake.

Could someone suggest some snacks I could put in the bag to replace the inappropriate stuff?  I'm planning to just quietly fix it and not say anything to anyone.

I can of course find a good home for the peanut snacks  >:D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Peanut Allergy
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:42:47 PM »
You could go the non-food route and put in some age appropriate activity books or little crafts.  If they are little, colouring books and crayons, for example.  For older kids, you could put in a Suduko book.

If you want chocolate, just look for ones with the peanut free label.  Here in Ontario, I think Nestle is peanut free.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

darling

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:42:46 PM »
I second what the previous person wrote. I'd get new bags, too, because the bags could have become contaminated.

zainabzks

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:54:43 PM »
Everything the first two posters posted especially the bit about getting two uncontaminated bags. The peanut dust in the bags could set off an allergy. My niece has that type of a peanut allergy.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »
New bags, and completely new snacks. Read all the ingredients, because some snacks can have trace amounts of peanut product in them. My sister has a peanut allergy, and even breathing the "dust" is enough to set off a reaction.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 07:11:49 PM »
Fruit-based candy like Starbursts or jelly beans is usually okay (although check the labels!).  Most chocolate is processed with or around nuts, so I'd stay away from it.  Maybe something like Goldfish or pretzels if you want something else snacky?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
New bags
Hard candies are generally safe. Stay away from Nestles and Mars Chocolate in the US if it doesn't have peanuts it has may contain traces. Hersey's is generally safe - but beware of Valentine combo packs of different kind of chocolate.

Beware of things that have peanut equivalents. For example if a company makes both cheese crackers and peanut butter crackers they often use the same equipment to make both and right now there is NO WAY to make sure the equipment is completely cleaned.

Lays chips are safe. Beware of things with Kettle in the name though. Authentic Kettle chips/popcorn use peanut oil to raise the flashpoint - but mass produced don't always do this.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »
Junior Mints are made in a peanut-free factory.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 07:54:43 PM »
Good for you for fixing the mistake any not saying anything.

I googled "Peanut Free Snacks" and found a LOT of things.
http://www.crgov.com/DocumentCenter/Home/View/114

CANDY
Air Heads Rolos
Dum Dum Pops Runts
Gum Drops Shock Tarts
Hershey Kisses - Milk Chocolate, Extra Creamy Sixlets
Jolly Ranchers Skittles
Junior Mints Smarties
Life Savers Spree
Lollipops Starburst
Mike & Ikes Sugar Babies
Milk Duds Sweet Tarts
Nerds Tootsie Pops
Oompas Tootsie Rolls
Ring Pops Twizzlers
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:56:37 PM by oceanus »

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
I am not starting this thread to touch off a debate.

I need some help.  I volunteered to let some family member stay in my apartment this weekend for a wedding.  The wedding party dropped off two gift bags, one for the parents and one for the 2 kids to share.  One of the children has a peanut allergy (fairly severe) and the gift bags contains peanut butter cracker, reeses cups and mini-snicker bars.  I am positive the HC simple forgot about the allergy in all the wedding fuss and I don't think AT ALL this was done on purpose.  Absolutely a mistake.

Could someone suggest some snacks I could put in the bag to replace the inappropriate stuff?  I'm planning to just quietly fix it and not say anything to anyone.

I can of course find a good home for the peanut snacks  >:D
I, too, would be very concerned about any cross contamination and would let the parent of the child know and let them decide whether or not anything from the bag can be used, at all.  (I picture someone packing up the bag and nibbling on peanut snacks while they do so, resulting in handling things going into the bag with "peanut hands".)  I wouldn't want to be responsible for passing on something that could be potentially dangerous to that child and would let the parents deal with it. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 10:07:57 AM »
I would agree that the bag for the children should be new.  Cross-contamination can be a real problem.

Non-food items are probably the best way to go because children attending a Wedding away from home may be a bit hyper to begin with.  Sugar won't help.

Depending on the ages and genders of the children, one of the Dover paper doll books or sticker books might be in order.  Crayons and coloring books are also worthy of consideration.  Check out the party favor section of your local dollar store for little gifts. You might find some interesting suggestions. 

Aquamarine

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 04:26:03 PM »
Throw the bags and their entire contents out, everything has potentially been contaminated.  IMHO it's not worth the risk the try and save a bit of money by using what seems "safe" from the bags, because it may not actually be safe at all.  Pick and choose from the many suggestions you have gotten and put the items in new bags.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »
I don't know... I sense a farce...how *exactly* is it that you know the scrumptious contents of this bag? And you are replacing them because of a stated peanut allergy, you say?  Do I smell chocolate on your breath??? >:D

Seriously though - make sure you read the label of anything you decide to put in there - *and* I'd mention it to the parents, as others have suggested.

I think it's really thoughtful of you to do this, btw.  ;)

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »
Several people have mentioned hard candies as an appropriate substitute.  They can be, but it depends on the ages of the children.  Hard candies for small kids can be a serious choking hazard. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »
Several people have mentioned hard candies as an appropriate substitute.  They can be, but it depends on the ages of the children.  Hard candies for small kids can be a serious choking hazard.

I remember having a difficult time with hard candy when I was not so small  ::) :P

Hard candy in lollypop form might be good.  I still think candy taste better on a stick.  ;D