Author Topic: No, I can't eat that, thank you for reminding me...again  (Read 7540 times)

LEMon

Re: No, I can't eat that, thank you for reminding me...again
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 05:11:21 PM »
Are these people ones who like drama?  How do they interact with others normally? 

My thought when reading through was that these people are all about them and trying to build drama. 
"Oh, how awful.  Let us mourn together." 
"Let me say things to try to make you upset, then I will act innocent.  It will be so much fun."

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 06:19:25 PM »
Are these people ones who like drama?  How do they interact with others normally? 

My thought when reading through was that these people are all about them and trying to build drama. 
"Oh, how awful.  Let us mourn together." 
"Let me say things to try to make you upset, then I will act innocent.  It will be so much fun."

I was wondering the same thing.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 07:30:02 PM »
2) The gloater:  The ones who have to stand over me and say over and over "Wow, Auntie Mame, it's too bad you can't have any of this, it's sooooo gooood.  But you can't eat it.  Too bad, it's good.  I mean really good." etc etc etc...

"But it does come with a side of insight into your character. Thanks for sharing!"  :D

To the other sort of commenters, I'd say something along the lines of,  "with so many wonderful GF foods around/available, I certainly don't feel deprived."

Danika

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »
"But it does come with a side of insight into your character.

Ooooh, I like that!!! It's a great response for so many things!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 07:58:25 PM »
I have food allergies.  I have encountered all of the above.  From the you "if you don't know it is in there it won't hurt you" people to the you don't know what you are missing folks.  I am extremely careful of what I eat that I don't prepare myself, and if I can't read the ingredients, I just don't eat it no matter how much someone tells me it is safe. It only took 1 trip to the hospital to figure out that people are clueless that a peanut allergy encompasses peanut butter.  For the you don't know what you are missing repeat offenders for how wonderful shellfish is, I say eeewwww, nasty crustaceans.  For the are you sure it won't hurt you, I give the "an emergency trip to the hospital tends to ruin everyone's evening".

All that said, I had a salad at the cafeteria at work yesterday and I suspect there was cross contamination since I got violently ill within 20 minutes of eating it.  This is the first time this has happened in years, who would think lettuce wouldn't be safe.

I have a good friend with an aluminum allergy, she gets the same symptoms as I get from peanuts  if food touches aluminum foil to the point where fancy foil doilies under cakes makes the whole cake toxic to her.  I know she gets a lot of funny looks because it is such an unbelievable thing to cause a problem.

My father has it.  He used to be able to eat food cooked in aluminum pans, as long as it was not stored in the same pan.  We got a lovely Pyrex lasagna pan from someone - Mom changed over to using it because she could cook & store in the same pan.

Cakes are still baked in metal pans - just placed in plastic storage containers.  Cupcakes have paper wrappers (no metal ones).  He's in his late seventies now, so it isn't a life threatening allergy - just "painful".....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Danika

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
I have a good friend with an aluminum allergy, she gets the same symptoms as I get from peanuts  if food touches aluminum foil to the point where fancy foil doilies under cakes makes the whole cake toxic to her.  I know she gets a lot of funny looks because it is such an unbelievable thing to cause a problem.

I hate the rare allergies! They're annoying to explain.

I'm allergic to some inks. Like newspapers and about 50% of magazines. I can't stand when a salesperson tries to hand me a free newspaper and gets annoyed and huffs at me when I say "no thank you." They think I'm crazy for not taking free stuff. If I even pick up some magazines (usually coupons or flyers that come in the junk mail) or a newspaper and just carry them/it a few feet to toss in the trash, I have to go wash my hands and apply lotion or else my palms itch for a few hours.

ammyd

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 08:27:16 PM »

I get the gloating from my friends sometimes. My allergy is a fairly new development and it's shellfish which is something a majority of us love. So now when it's one of the seafood fests at Red Lobster I get gloaty text messages about how awesome it's going to be when they go there for dinner.
Wow. What again??

Trimmed down the quote but yeah, it happens. I have had to miss plenty of plans because they want to go somewhere I can't safely eat. Heck I had a reaction from cross contamination at a bbq place so you just can't be too careful.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
For me that nonsense basically stopped after HS. For both groups of trying to get a rise out of me jerks I would just look at them like they were nuts and say it taste like novocain then I stop breathing why would I want to touch (thing with peanuts in it) with a ten foot pole. I get that glutton reactions are much more "personal and private" but maybe you could simply say "Why in the world would I want to eat something that is going to make me violently ill?" in a deadpan voice.

The funny thing was that Dad never picked up on the novocain thing until I was in University. He told me that he had worried when I was a kid that I would eat something with peanuts to find out what it tasted like or because it smelled good.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
I hate the rare allergies! They're annoying to explain.

I hear you.  I'm allergic to bandaids.  It is fun when I go in for blood tests when I tell them to just give me the cotton ball and skip the adhesive.

OP, I wish I was your coworker.  I'm the baker in my office.  We've had a couple of people who were celiac.  I'd make something a couple times of year that were celiac safe.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ammyd

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »

I hear you.  I'm allergic to bandaids.  It is fun when I go in for blood tests when I tell them to just give me the cotton ball and skip the adhesive.

OP, I wish I was your coworker.  I'm the baker in my office.  We've had a couple of people who were celiac.  I'd make something a couple times of year that were celiac safe.

I'm allergic to bandaids too. It came about the same time as the shellfish.If I use one I end up with the outline of the bandaid for days afterward as a rash on my skin.

gmatoy

« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 11:03:02 PM »

I'm allergic to bandaids too. It came about the same time as the shellfish.If I use one I end up with the outline of the bandaid for days afterward as a rash on my skin.
Okay, for me that is because of latex. The woman who does the blood draws at my doctor's office has a latex allergy also. So I never have to say a word! No more rashes! And everyone else is so careful about using the non-latex gloves. Also, if you have a latex allergy you might want to be careful of pineapple; the two allergies often go hand in hand. And, yes, I know that barbecue can be made without pineapple.  But unless I'm positive, I'm NOT having any thank you.

And I also have a shellfish allergy and now I'm wondering if it goes with the latex allergy...hmmm...

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 11:44:49 PM »
And I also have a shellfish allergy and now I'm wondering if it goes with the latex allergy...hmmm...

Mrs.k2002 has latex, shellfish and soy.  If you have problems with latex, watch out for avocados. Sometimes this gets mixed in with some melons and mango as well. Also, if you have a shellfish allergy and ever go for a CT scan, let them know in no uncertain terms to use non-iodine contrast.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

ammyd

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 12:08:50 AM »

Mrs.k2002 has latex, shellfish and soy.  If you have problems with latex, watch out for avocados. Sometimes this gets mixed in with some melons and mango as well. Also, if you have a shellfish allergy and ever go for a CT scan, let them know in no uncertain terms to use non-iodine contrast.

Now I'm really worried. Shellfish has already been taken from me I can't give up my avocados.

mmswm

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 12:48:35 AM »
I've all but given up eating out after I had to be rushed to an ER after 3 doses of epi couldn't get my breathing under control.  I ate two dairy based foods that should not have had one drop of tomato in them, but there had to be cross contamination of some sort.  My O2 sats were in the 70's, but an ex-friend (who wasn't even there) decided I was faking it and putting on a show in an attempt to garner pity (from who, I don't know).  I totally get the frustration with food allergies.  I also really love a number of the responses that have been suggested in this thread.  I'm going to use quite a few of them!
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

wyliefool

« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 08:09:39 AM »

Me too. It's weird tho, because I can use a band-aid for  a couple days on my leg or ankle before the rash shows up, but I recently put one on my neck and it started itching instantly. And I can use them on my fingers w/ no reaction.

I'm also allergic to the non-latex tape. So I don't think it's the latex in my case.

Bandaids are avoidable on the leg as I can wrap a piece of gauze under an ace bandage. But when I had a mole removed from my waist that was fun. The ace bandage thing didn't work. Ugh!