Author Topic: Assignment due 8am, sent to friend to be color copied at 10:15pm. Plagiarism?  (Read 4639 times)

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
OP, your son violated the policy and mismanaged his time.  I don’t see how this is an etiquette issue, nor do I see where there’s anything for you to discuss with his teacher.

TamJamB

If I had shut him down with, "look it up, Oh, you screwed up, sucks to be you, even worse for the girl," then where is the parenting?

That's exactly the parenting lesson he needs. Sometimes you screw up, as he did in not properly reading the syllabus, and you just have to take your lumps.  If it were my kids that's exactly what I would have said.

Personally, I hope the girl really did plagiarize your son's paper and the teacher has evidence of that. Because otherwise it's a terrible thing that she was so much more harshly punished than your boy was. I'd consider that to be something of a scandal if it were me. It makes it look like some major favoritism is taking place.  I was the farthest thing from a helicopter parent, but if I were that girl's mother (and she really did no more than print your son's paper), I'd be raising a terrible fuss right now. In the absence of any plagiarism, they should have received the exact same punishment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:40:02 PM by TamJamB »