General Etiquette > Life...in general

Is it rude to sing at the dinner table?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Tabby Uprising:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on February 13, 2013, 09:33:09 PM ---I think that a group sing would be fine, and singing a brief line or two would be fine as well. (I'll randomly sing a line or two of something when it's relevant, just like I'll sometimes quote a movie or whatever.) One or a small group of people basically hijacking dinner for their singalong is rude.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  I think in some circumstances (like in a restaurant) it could be rude, but in others it could be jolly good fun!

WillyNilly:
So everyone was essentially trapped at the table for two hours after the main course (so they'd already been at the table at least 30-40 minutes)? I think at that point singing a bit, so long as they were open to people joining in and starting the next song, etc, is ok. I think the real rudeness was making people wait 2 hours for dessert. For goodness sake I could whip up a dozen desserts from scratch in 45 minutes!

Jape:
I vote rude.  Plus, I didn't think they were all that good, so not even entertaining.  I think a whole message board could be filled with the rudeness that's been displayed on that show though!

Winterlight:
I think if you're holding dessert hostage for two hours you should be grateful that the worst thing that happens is a little singing.

As a general rule, though, I would vote against singing unless it's the group tradition.

Sharnita:
In about 99% of cases, rude.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version