General Etiquette > general

Is it rude to sing at the dinner table?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Tabby Uprising:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on February 13, 2013, 08:33:09 PM ---I think that a group sing would be fine, and singing a brief line or two would be fine as well. (I'll randomly sing a line or two of something when it's relevant, just like I'll sometimes quote a movie or whatever.) One or a small group of people basically hijacking dinner for their singalong is rude.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  I think in some circumstances (like in a restaurant) it could be rude, but in others it could be jolly good fun!

So everyone was essentially trapped at the table for two hours after the main course (so they'd already been at the table at least 30-40 minutes)? I think at that point singing a bit, so long as they were open to people joining in and starting the next song, etc, is ok. I think the real rudeness was making people wait 2 hours for dessert. For goodness sake I could whip up a dozen desserts from scratch in 45 minutes!

I vote rude.  Plus, I didn't think they were all that good, so not even entertaining.  I think a whole message board could be filled with the rudeness that's been displayed on that show though!

I think if you're holding dessert hostage for two hours you should be grateful that the worst thing that happens is a little singing.

As a general rule, though, I would vote against singing unless it's the group tradition.

In about 99% of cases, rude.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version