Author Topic: Is it rude to sing at the dinner table?  (Read 4538 times)

Miss Tickle

Re: Is it rude to sing at the dinner table?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 01:30:09 AM »
To us the worst part of that episode (yup I know exactly what you're referring to!) is that she wasn't a good singer. At all.  It was one of those cringeworthy situations where somebody thinks they're sharing a talent and entertaining the room, but are actually just making a fool of themselves. I was impressed that the other teams were so polite and didn't tell them to shut up! (although they made their true feelings known in the interviews afterwards).   

Definitely boorish behavior from the ladies singing.
Well, in that case, torture!

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 01:31:34 AM »
Im a big fan of that show.  I dont think the singing was rude honestly.  but...   it was totally awful and off key and she should have been quieted down

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 03:05:42 AM »
I think that a group sing would be fine, and singing a brief line or two would be fine as well. (I'll randomly sing a line or two of something when it's relevant, just like I'll sometimes quote a movie or whatever.) One or a small group of people basically hijacking dinner for their singalong is rude.

Agree.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Milash

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 03:51:32 AM »
Im a big fan of that show.  I dont think the singing was rude honestly.  but...   it was totally awful and off key and she should have been quieted down

I didn't like their singing either nor some of their comments

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 05:42:45 AM »

I didn't like their singing either nor some of their commentscyr

Lol, my mother - who doesn't own a tv - is staying with us and so has been watching with me. Every time that team speak she gets this shocked look and says "why are they so nasty?"     (She also often asks me what's going to happen, as though I have prewatched every show on tv and am an expert! But I think that's because she only ever sees the occasional movie and is used to her companions already having seen them. This was her first exposure to reality television!)
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:53 AM »
It gets better... In tonight's episode they were doing numerology at the dinner table!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 09:11:40 AM »
So everyone was essentially trapped at the table for two hours after the main course (so they'd already been at the table at least 30-40 minutes)? I think at that point singing a bit, so long as they were open to people joining in and starting the next song, etc, is ok. I think the real rudeness was making people wait 2 hours for dessert. For goodness sake I could whip up a dozen desserts from scratch in 45 minutes!

I strongly agree with this.  Singing while the meal is served would be verboten, but filling a two hour gap between the main meal and dessert is more understandable.   

BTW, what's the title of the show? 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23:49 AM »
In a public setting like that and being on tv, I don't think it's rude.  They are trying to be entertaining for the tv.

In real life, I think it is rude and embarrassing.  Unless it's a group of friends that love musicals/singers/performers etc.  Or a close knit group that think nothing of this.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 10:28:11 AM »
So everyone was essentially trapped at the table for two hours after the main course (so they'd already been at the table at least 30-40 minutes)? I think at that point singing a bit, so long as they were open to people joining in and starting the next song, etc, is ok. I think the real rudeness was making people wait 2 hours for dessert. For goodness sake I could whip up a dozen desserts from scratch in 45 minutes!

I strongly agree with this.  Singing while the meal is served would be verboten, but filling a two hour gap between the main meal and dessert is more understandable.   

BTW, what's the title of the show?

My Kitchen Rules.  It airs on 7 network in Australia.   I think episodes are available online too after they've aired.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

BeagleMommy

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
Well, since I'm prone to sudden outburts of song I don't know if it's entirely rude (although I've never sung a song in its entirety at the table; just a line or two).

I know the show you mean and I think the ladies were rude.  I wonder if it would have been more appropriate to fill in flagging conversation with "So, read any good books lately?".

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »
Well, since I'm prone to sudden outburts of song I don't know if it's entirely rude (although I've never sung a song in its entirety at the table; just a line or two).

I know the show you mean and I think the ladies were rude.  I wonder if it would have been more appropriate to fill in flagging conversation with "So, read any good books lately?".

In real life I would agree.  But I bet TV producers aren't super keen on having their show's characters actively promoting reading as entertainment over the visual arts.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »

Isn't that just sad?!  ;D

In real life I would agree.  But I bet TV producers aren't super keen on having their show's characters actively promoting reading as entertainment over the visual arts.

baritone108

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
So - my question is, is it ever ok to burst into song at the dinner table (or find other ways to amuse yourself besides normal conversation) if things are growing dull?

This is not in reference to the show.  When I was a kid, if my siblings or I sang at the dinner table, our parents would tell us that if we sang at the table we'd marry a crazy person.  When we got older they said that's because you have to be crazy to marry someone who sings at the table  ;D

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
I think if you're holding dessert hostage for two hours you should be grateful that the worst thing that happens is a little singing.

No kidding. Things happen and I'd be happy if my dinner table was still upbeat enough to sing and not just stare sullenly at each other for another hour. Was the singing what the producers wanted because an empty table isn't good tv?

Where does this air? Were the singers any good?

I think that singing may be among the least obnoxious things to happen after people have been staring at each other for two hours across a foodless table.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

daen

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »
(off-topic) That's odd, baritone108 - my mother told me I'd end up with a lazy spouse if I sang at the table.

(on-topic) I'm of the general opinion that bursting into song in public is acceptable only in musicals, and the occasional well-planned flash mob.