Author Topic: Is it rude to sing at the dinner table?  (Read 4434 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Is it rude to sing at the dinner table?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 03:36:11 PM »
Growing up, my father didn't like any of his children (three daughters) to sing outside of church and school. We did anyway and we still do. I believe it can be rude, but I don't believe it is rude in all scenarios.

I still sing at the table.

kitkatswing

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 07:17:37 PM »
I knew exactly what this thread was about before I even opened it!!! :)

It was incredibly rude, she cant sing and everyone looked horified!!!

strawbabies

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »
DH, his dad, and a friend of their family all have this habit of starting to sing along with music in restaurants.  It annoys the bejeesus out of me. 

Cami

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »
DH, his dad, and a friend of their family all have this habit of starting to sing along with music in restaurants.  It annoys the bejeesus out of me.
If I were sitting within earshot, I'd be annoyed as bejeesus too. Obnoxious.

ETA: I'd blocked it out of my mind, but I just remembered I once had a coworker who would sing in her office. First of all, it's distracting when I'm trying to write HTML code. Second of all, she could NOT sing. (Of course, she thought she was the next Maria Callas.) Nightmare.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:47:06 PM by Cami »

girlmusic

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »
I sing a lot. But then again, I have a toddler who loves music, so everything he does has a song attached to it. In public we are a normal non-singing family (except for the occasional singing along to whatever music is blasting).

At home, I sing at the table to get the toddler to eat, I sing when he takes a bath, when he goes to sleep, when he wakes up, etc.

So, the verdict is, no singing at the dinner table unless there is a toddler who won't eat without it!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
It's okay at a children's party when there is a birthday cake sitting in front of them.  Otherwise, no.

Frankly, not having seen the show but going by the descriptions of her singing by those who did see it, I think I'd have started laughing under the assumption that she was trying to be funny and entertain us with ridiculously out-of-tune humor.  I suppose then I would have been the rude one.    ???

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 05:38:56 AM »
Are they Scandinavian?  It's very common to sing a song at the table in Sweden before you take a drink.  It's called a snapsvisa.

Milash

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 05:50:22 AM »
No, they are from Australia.

Lady Godiva

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 04:49:10 PM »
It's only OK at summer camp, where everyone has to sing camp songs before meals and you have to go up and kiss the stuffed moose head on the nose in order to get your mail.

Iris

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
Just posting to say that I am sitting here laughing to myself because MKR, which I've never watched, has dominated the conversation at work for a week, then when I went out to dinner last night it happened again, and now it's even on Ehell!  :)

I think I need to start watching if I want to participate in ANY conversations this month...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.