Author Topic: Spouse Expressions  (Read 3069 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Spouse Expressions
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:20:05 AM »
My DH has these expressions that he uses over and over again for about a month, and then doesn't use them any more.  He usually stops using them when they have passed on to me and I start using them all the time.

Examples:

"...and stuff." Everything, at one time, had the words "and stuff" tagged on the end. Such as "It's cold and stuff." Half the time it made little or no sense.

"It really is though, isn't it?" In agreement to something the other person is saying.  This one drives me a little potty but I can live with it.

"Not...really..." Said very slowly and thoughtfully, as if he's considering the previous sentence very carefully.

"If you would do ___ and ___, that would be massively helpful." I always want to say "But I am not feeling massively helpful today". I think I'll leave that to DS in a couple of years...

"That's not what's supposed to happen..." said in response to anything that doesn't go his way.  Usually in a slightly confused tone of voice, as though it has snowed with the sole intention of spoiling his day.

Does anyone else have a spouse with some odd verbal expressions, or is it just mine?!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:25:00 AM by Hollanda »
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Rohanna

Re: Spouse Expressions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »
Mine adds "blahblablahblahblah" to the end of every sentence where you could possibly substitute etc., and so forth, and so on or any other synonym. He slurs it together so it comes  out almost more like "blablubblah"... I don't know why he picked it up as a Verbal tic about a year ago- and to his credit he's gotten better at catching himself about it.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Dalek

• Am not amused!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:24:57 AM »
My SO picked up on the " Go home _____. You're drunk." meme. For everything.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 09:30:28 AM »
Oh I am so glad it is not just me.

DH also does The Shrug complete with the Noise when he doesn't know something.  I asked him to please stop doing that since he is not a pubescent teenage boy any more and has sufficient grasp on the English language to convey that he is not sure of something.  :-\
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Girly

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 09:35:41 AM »
Your mom

So, I'll say 'I'm tired', and he says 'Your mom's tired'
'I'm cooking dinner' and he says 'Your mom's cooking dinner'

I swear I married an 8 year old.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »
Not really DH's expression but FIL's and we both picked up on it.  He'll call and instead of identifying himself by name, he says "Hello, this is Tommy's* dad."

The first time he did that, I answered brightly, "Hi, Tommy's dad!!"** and he cracked up so we've kept doing it the last 13 years.  MIL thought it was funny to and now any cards that are sent to me or both of us are signed "Love, MIL and Tommy's Dad." 

*Not DH's actual nickname.

** Inspired by a high school friend who wasn't comfortable calling my parents by first name but was asked to not address them as Mr. And Mrs. so she'd say "Hi, Pirate's Mom/Dad!"

DH has a "Stuff" expression he likes to use.  If anyone says "And stuff" he says "Not the STUFF!!" in a mock horrified voice.  He'll also playfully refer to any one of our children that is the subject of conversation as "The child, who's failing to mention any checks."  (from the Grinch movie, when he claims "the child mentioned a check?" as an award for joining the Whobilation).

Girly, your DH reminds me of a character on "The Regular Show" who likes to say "You know who else likes ____? MY MOM!!!!!!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Amava

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »
Hehe nope. I'm the one in this household who spouts memes.
Like a boss!  :D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 10:43:52 AM »
'May I ask a favor of you?'

Mr. Thipu usually says this when he wants me to do something as simple as putting some lotion on his back when he gets out of the shower.  He also says it when he wants me to stand on the kitchen stool and hold his ankles while he's working on the back of the clothes drier (our washer-drier is stacked with the drier on top).   

To me, it sounds like something that you'd find in a Victorian novel instead of what a partner would request in 21st century Brooklyn.  Also, you never know what he's going to ask. 

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 05:06:48 PM »
Not my DH, but my 16yo DS adds "and such" to the ends of his sentences fairly regularly.  He showed me a draft of a paper he's writing on Louis Armstrong and "and such" makes an appearance therein.

ETA his other face is "and whatnot."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:29:52 PM by jayhawk »

lilfox

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 06:58:56 PM »
DH has one that grates on my nerves.  Whenever I suggest something, his knee jerk response is always "That's not a bad idea."  Not once is it, "yes let's do that" or "I agree."  so it sounds like he's always suggesting that my other ideas ARE bad and this is a rare useful one. 

But, in our household I'm usually the one with distinctive phrases.  Among others, I add "and such" to sentences too.  When DD says something goofy, I have replied "What?? Noooooo" so many times that she's picked it up and now anything she says she tacks that on at the end, with my inflections.

"You have cookie ears!  What??  Noooooo".  ;D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »
I'm the "phraser"  :-[

I have three go to responses (among my other phrases) which are, "your mom", "because you touch yourself at night", and "gremlins".  These are all in responses to questions beginning with "why".
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 01:49:50 AM »
when my BF is discussing, usually familial, relationships, he often uses the phrase 'it's not like we have tea together'... I mean, he says it often enough that I asked him where he got it from and he shrugs and says 'myself'.  I just think it's cute.
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

mmswm

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 02:03:17 AM »
"Bob did it."  This is the standard reply in my parents' house when anything goes missing.  Bob is the resident ghost who's been following my mother around for at least 50 years.

"Insert Tab A into Slot B" is the standard phrase to describe a procedure that's relatively simple like changing brakes, installing a new shower head or re-priming the pool pump.

I'm sure there's more, but it's late and my brain isn't functioning fully.

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 05:37:11 PM »
In my house it is not Bob that did it. It's the kitty's fault. This is from a friends child, who happened to constantly get herself into trouble. One time she actually did try to blame something on one of the family cats. So now anytime something goes wrong, "the kitty did it."

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 10:36:55 PM »
DH doesn't talk much, so I can't think of any particular expressions (he tends to stay quiet until he has some mind-bogglingly insightful comment to add).  He does have a great way of driving Babybartfast nuts, though  :P  Whenever she starts in with "I want X!" and we tell her no, she sometimes starts whining "But I waaaaaant it!"  To which DH sings "You Can't Always Get What you Want."

It's to the point now where Babybartfast had a complete meltdown in the car when "You Can't Always Get What You Want" came on the radio  ;D  It's effective, though - it stops her from whining about how much she wants things!