Author Topic: Spouse Expressions  (Read 2886 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Spouse Expressions
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2013, 11:26:07 AM »
Heeheehee!!

That reminds me, Saturday I attended a Quiet Day retreat at my church and when I got there, someone handed me a packet of name tags, the adhesive ones with "Hello, my name is".
It took great restraint on my part to not write "Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die."  >:D  I did just put my name but my fingers itched anytime I saw that packet of name tags and the pen sitting within arm's reach...

As for expressions, anytime I ask DH, often without thinking "Do you think it'll work?" he says "It'll take a miracle."  After an eye roll at having walked right into that one, we both say "Bye bye!!!"

I've seen tshirts with that on it...

I have one!  ;D

Every time I wear it someone apologizes to me that my father was killed.  :o

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »
"I'll let you......"  Generally said when he is making dinner and wants to push off something on me.  "I'll let you do the corn", etc.

What makes me irritated is that there is a reason I'm not doing dinner that night and if I had known I was going to be responsible for something I would have done it differently.  What makes me actually mad is that in the way he phrases it, it is like he is doing me a favor.  Grrrrrrr!

Ahh, my husband has another brother. It's one little nitpicky thing, and I know I shouldn't be bothered by it, but it drives me bonkers when DH says, as he's stopping at the mailbox when we're both in the car, "Want to get the mail?" Well, no, actually, I don't want to get out of my nice warm seat and rummage around in the dark at the unlit box for my mail key just so I can collect some Pizza Hut flyers and a mailer from the city. The mail does not spoil like bananas! It will keep until tomorrow morning. I started responding with: "Not really. But I will, because I love you." He quit saying it for about a month.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »
"I'll let you......"  Generally said when he is making dinner and wants to push off something on me.  "I'll let you do the corn", etc.

What makes me irritated is that there is a reason I'm not doing dinner that night and if I had known I was going to be responsible for something I would have done it differently.  What makes me actually mad is that in the way he phrases it, it is like he is doing me a favor.  Grrrrrrr!

My mother says this, so I started to say, "Aw, what a privilege!  I'm so glad you're letting me do this for you!" or some such variation.  Now she laughs.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »
Some of DH's former expressions crack me up laughing.

Years ago, when we both worked in a horrid office tower, the heat in summer was atrocious. For some insane reason, opening windows wasn't an option. Health and safety, but the windows opened about 1cm so unless someone had a shrinking cap, leaping out of them was just not happening. The heat was easily high 90s in mid summer. We Brits just are not used to that kind of heat and DH especially does not deal well with being hot, especially indoors.  People were fainting daily through overheating. In fact, there was an ambulance stationed outside that building for six weeks!!!

At that time, DH's expression was "That's not what's meant to happen' about literally anything out the ordinary. And his rants at work are well known and pretty much well liked. He just has a way with words...bless him, he walked to the thermometer and said (paraphrased) "It's 89 degrees and the windows are shut?! What's the matter with you people?? People are collapsing!! That's not what's meant to happen!' The management did nothing about the situation then, but by the following spring had air con installed. Of course, that summer was dismal and the air con stayed redundant.

Typical. That's not what's meant to happen!!
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
My beloved DH is a wonderful man. I could have stabbed him with a pencil today.  >:D

Long story made short, he had planned his day carefully, things went out of control and he was not able to get somewhere at the time he needed to. I was frustrated with him for being over the top with the whole situation, and he was frustrated. He calls me, I listen, then I respond to what he said and he snapped at me. So then I stayed quiet while he talked, and he decided I was ignoring him and said he was sorry "I was so busy". That was it. I told him that I was not busy, that I had been listening to him and I was sorry he had a bad day, but there was very little I could do other than listen and be supportive.  ::)