Author Topic: You're a great friend, but how good at your job are you?  (Read 3366 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: You're a great friend, but how good at your job are you?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »
Thank you all for the excellent advice. I particularly like the TurboTax suggestion; it's clear, objective, and if it brings up mistakes, I have something definite to show. If it's presented as our way of making absolutely sure we're held not going to be in trouble with the IRS, I can't see friend objecting. And it's perfectly true.
Then DH and I get have a talk about how these kinds of decisions need to be discussed first. >:D

And if you use it through the website it's completely free unless you file through them (which is still pretty cheap, I just did ours and it was $65 for fed and state) so you can at least see what it should be and why, in case his estimate is different. Best wishes!

lurkerwisp

Re: You're a great friend, but how good at your job are you?
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 04:21:43 PM »
We had that happen the first year we were married. With our accountant -- my MIL.

My MIL isn't my accountant, but still has a shared investment account in DH's name so we're always stuck waiting on her for tax documents every year.  She's a tax procrastinator.  I'm a let's-do-taxes-in-January-er.  It is horrible.

I would recommend never ever letting any personal relationship get involved in your relationship with the IRS.  Hurt feelings are one thing, incorrect tax filings are another.  It's a terrible plan to let one interfere with the other.