Author Topic: Social Q's -- When a friend signs up under your name to benefit you  (Read 3201 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Social Q's -- When a friend signs up under your name to benefit you
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 01:31:55 AM »
I guess I see this more like asking a friend who sells widgets on commission to get you a discount - they do that by taking a smaller commission, but in turn you choose to buy your widget through them (and reward them for the sale without them having to do the work of selling you on it) instead of going with the website and nobody getting a commission at all.  The company does lose out - by paying a commission (or refunding a month of gym fees) it wouldn't have to pay because that particular incentive wasn't what got you to buy in the first place - but it's a potential loss the company chooses to take on.  They can't restrict the promotion to "only in cases where it makes a difference in whether someone buys or not," so they give it across the board and just assume that sometimes they'll end up paying more than they had to.

(Timely topic, though - I'm looking at possibly joining our YMCA soon, and I'd have to choose which friend gets to have "referred" me and gets the free month of membership fees!)  I wouldn't ask them to split the referral bonus, but I don't think I would be offended if someone asked it of me, either.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 01:36:11 AM by Slartibartfast »

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 02:01:43 AM »
I think the friend was totally obnoxious to ask for his "cut." That is not the point of the referral bonus. And presumably, he will be offered the same referral incentive when HE is a member.

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 07:50:35 AM »
The friend is petty, for sure.

I also thought the response to the last letter was wrong too.

Do you mean the one about using the restroom marked for the opposite sex? I do that all the time (only in single occupancy cases.)

A toilet is a toilet is a toilet. *shrug*

Me too, particularly when they are single toilets as in this case.

Eden

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »
I agree that the columnist's response was tongue in cheek.

However, depending on how it was done, I see nothing wrong with asking the friend to put their name in for the referral. My guess (which may not be accurate) is that the friend said they were thinking of joining the gym. The letter writer likely encouraged it so was in fact providing a referral to the gym. I doubt the letter writer demanded the friend put their name in but just figured if he was going to apply to the gym, why not? The friend expecting a cut seems ridiculous and petty.

CakeBeret

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »
However, depending on how it was done, I see nothing wrong with asking the friend to put their name in for the referral. My guess (which may not be accurate) is that the friend said they were thinking of joining the gym. The letter writer likely encouraged it so was in fact providing a referral to the gym. I doubt the letter writer demanded the friend put their name in but just figured if he was going to apply to the gym, why not? The friend expecting a cut seems ridiculous and petty.

This. I would be pretty aghast if someone asked me for a cut of a gym referral bonus. If the referral was meant to be split, the gym would offer two weeks free to both parties. (My bank does this: refer a friend for a new account, and you each get a $50 bonus.)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."