Author Topic: The Gift Came Back: Am I Stuck With This Forever? Long and Silly....  (Read 5204 times)

Lady Godiva

Re: The Gift Came Back: Am I Stuck With This Forever? Long and Silly....
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »
This reminds me of the song called "The Cat Came Back," where the unwanted cat keeps returning, even to the end of the world.

But the Cat came back
The very next day,
We thought he was a goner,
But the Cat came back (wearing a green tee shirt with puffy paint and sparkles on it)
He just wouldn't stay away!

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »
While the story is hilarious, I am wondering why you didn't throw the shirt out in the first place?  I know that many people think everything should be recycled, but this is ridiculous.

I used to shop the charity stores for chore clothes about 20 years ago.  People who shop charity stores want nice, neat, wearable clothing just like those who can afford to shop in regular stores.  Not ratty, falling apart, ugly t-shirts that are ten years old.  I believe it's not a donation if you [general] give something that you wouldn't wear yourself or is in poor condition. All you are doing then is having the charity take out your trash.

If you can't bring yourself to throw it out in it's entirety, cut the front off and use the rest for cleaning rags.  Please don't "donate" it again.

Actually, charity shops (at least in the UK) can make quite a bit of money out of clothing that they can't sell I their shops by sending it for rags. I can't remember what it is per  kilo of rags, but it's not an inconsiderable sum (comparatively speaking), so it's not entirely without merit to donate stuff that is only fit for...well...rags. That said, check first with your shop of choice to make sure they can actually do that.

They can also make money out of non saleable books, too. Though, again, it's worth double checking that before you land someone with a complete set of 1960s encyclopaedias!

And on that note, I know a charity shop manager who'd be delighted to help you out, Yarnspinner - and I KNOW Hester couldn't get it back to you if you sent it here!

*wanders off humming the cat came back*

Yarnspinner

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »
You guys are so much fun.  I was actually thinking of The Cat Came Back myself when I first posted.

Rereading, I see  I made the shirt sound a lot rattier than it is...when I said the paint is peeling, it is, but it's the edges lifting up.  I made it sound like it is falling apart in chunks. Iit still looks quite presentable when I am holding it up and I was actually surprised when I first saw it until I recognized the spots where the paint was lifting away.  Sorry about my runaway descriptions.  It's the sort of thing a young teen (my niece comes to mind) would snatch up in a heart beat to wear with leggings.  The material is thick and good...it's the "I cannot clean this without destroying the thing" that is a problem.  I DID wash it in cold water and that's when the paint cracked and, oh, did I mention the ribbon rosettes that ran a bit and got limp?    But it still looks too good to gointo the trash.

A friend two towns over offered to take it to her thrift shop and I told her that was impossible as I know the stores in that town are all on Hester's must visit list.  I just reread what I wrote above.  Hmmmmmm.  I happen to know a preteen with a sparkle fetish who loves oversized T-Shirts.........

Amava

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 06:15:51 PM »
It's the sort of thing a young teen (my niece comes to mind) would snatch up in a heart beat to wear with leggings. 
The solution seems obvious, then... Give it to niece.

ETA and I shouldn't have skipped over your last paragraph before posting. XD
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:17:22 PM by Amava »

auntmeegs

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 08:21:04 PM »
You guys are so much fun.  I was actually thinking of The Cat Came Back myself when I first posted.

Rereading, I see  I made the shirt sound a lot rattier than it is...when I said the paint is peeling, it is, but it's the edges lifting up.  I made it sound like it is falling apart in chunks. Iit still looks quite presentable when I am holding it up and I was actually surprised when I first saw it until I recognized the spots where the paint was lifting away.  Sorry about my runaway descriptions.  It's the sort of thing a young teen (my niece comes to mind) would snatch up in a heart beat to wear with leggings.  The material is thick and good...it's the "I cannot clean this without destroying the thing" that is a problem.  I DID wash it in cold water and that's when the paint cracked and, oh, did I mention the ribbon rosettes that ran a bit and got limp?    But it still looks too good to gointo the trash.

A friend two towns over offered to take it to her thrift shop and I told her that was impossible as I know the stores in that town are all on Hester's must visit list.  I just reread what I wrote above.  Hmmmmmm.  I happen to know a preteen with a sparkle fetish who loves oversized T-Shirts.........

Nope, sorry, still totally not getting why you don't just throw it out.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 09:18:56 PM »
We were at a party a few weeks ago that had a white elephant.  One woman got back the same gift she  brought last year!  LOL  I told her to bring it back next year to see who gets it next.  It was a Yankee Candle lamp with poinsettas on it.   

caz

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 10:07:08 PM »
Photo??

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 10:49:49 PM »
Throw it away. If she ever asks, say it suffered a laundry accident, and maybe add that shirts decorated with that puffy paint stuff don't seem to survive laundering very well.

MerryCat

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »
Photo??

I was just going to post this. I'm not sure we can correctly advise you without witnessing the shirt's kittenosity.

Nuala

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2013, 10:51:39 AM »
Oh, Lily!

I like the suggestion of giving it to niece if it would fit her, but if you do decide to destroy it, I advise cutting it into pieces, burning the pieces, and then mixing the ashes with water.

If it comes back after that, name it Rasputin and hang it back in the closet.

EveLGenius

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
My cousin has a theory that every person on Earth actually does have a superpower, it's just that some are more useful than others.  Between the cat shirt and the ugly dish, I believe you've identified your friend's superpower- she's Bad Penny Finder!  She can make unwanted items turn up again and again and again, no matter the effort to get rid of them.

Whatever you do to the shirt, be prepared to get it back again!

And just think- that superpower can be extremely useful.  Get her to introduce a bill in Congress just to see what happens. :)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2013, 03:01:48 PM »
I have a game that I've been trying to get rid of for 10 years.  Maybe it can join your shirt :P

(My most recent effort was putting it in the family's box for donations to the Thrift Shop.  After the box went out, I looked down and, to my horror, the game was on the floor! ... I think BF might have taken it out to be nice, but no one has actually owned that they've done it yet.  I've asked, for curiosity.)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »
Okay, I need to come clean about the shirt.  It's not green and it doesn't have a kitten on it.  I'd post a picture if I had a digital camera but I don't, so, you are going to have to take my word for this.

I didn't want to describe it as it really is because who knows who reads this, but as Hester doesn't even have email and can't navigate a computer if she tried (this woman is a totally awesome nurse and what she doesn't know about science and health isn't worth knowing, but hand her a computer or a cell phone and watch her go crazy)...so I am going to go ahead and describe the REAL shirt.

It's pink.  And, surprisingly, it is even big for sixty pounds overweight me.  Did I mention it is the color of pepto bismol?  The scene on the front is actually attractive:  it's a white carousel horse adorned in blue and green jewels (and yes, it is painted in puffy, sparkly paint).  There are half a dozen ribbon rosettes, not to mention lots of sparkly gold puffy paint swished around the horse to make a background.  There are dots of purple sparkly puff paint as accents and some of them have pretty little jewels set in them.

The sparkly gold bits are lifting away from the material (which is some of the nicest t-shirt material I have ever seen--it's thick and would be actually cozy if it wasn't for all the fol-de-ral on the front.  I can see why some folks think it's attractive (When I first had it, I thought so too until we got to that pesky "washing" thing.)

Hester thought it would be good for me to wear when I get the odd story telling job outside of work.  Thing is, one of the first rules of story telling is that, while your clothing may be striking, it should not be distracting.  This freakin' horse is all but hypnotic.

My Dad suggested I send it to niece since she is horse crazy and loves pink, so I think that is what I will do.  She can probably run it into the ground faster than I can cut it up.  THEN we will see if it gets back to me.

Hester is famous for her used gift giving and for finding things that COULD be right for someone if they just weren't so....off. 

As an example, when I was in college (about a thousand years ago, before I knew Hester) I wrote a storybook for a children's lit class.  The story involved a frog.  For years after that, my family would always try to find some small frog shaped item for me as a gag.  (My parents also always bought me a doll every year until I finally rebelled in my thirties.) 

Some years after I met Hester, I told the story of the frog as people were wondering about several frog ornaments in my home.  After that...let's just say I have lots of OTHER frog shaped ornaments in my home.

I have stuffed bears wearing Dickens' clothing because Hester knew that I really liked the novel Grat Expectations.  And then there is the herbal book, signed by the author....to someone else.  That would have been fine with me, I love having old books that were autographed and dedicated to the original person who bought the book.  However, Hester whited out the original owner's name and wrote mine in instead. 

Her friends love her,  she had a heart the size of Texas and the kindness of ten good samaratins,  but, oh, how we wish her family had been able to break her of the shopping at thrift stores habit...she is about one more box away from being a hoarder and some of this gift giving is her trying to clean her home out. 

Another funny story (since this is turning into true confessions) is that my favorite Harry Potter character is Hermione.  Armed with this knowledge, both Hester and another friend bought me the same statuette of Hermione one Christmas.  I gave one away and kept one and both of them think it's the one they gave me....

Thanks for your advice and the other funny stories....maybe we should have a white elephants' thread for other tales.....

Sophie Jenkins

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2013, 09:57:01 PM »
How old is the niece? Even with the accurate description, it seems like something a teenager would be unwilling to wear in public these days.

I'm still on team Just Toss It. It's one old t-shirt.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 12:15:15 AM »
How old is the niece? Even with the accurate description, it seems like something a teenager would be unwilling to wear in public these days.

I'm still on team Just Toss It. It's one old t-shirt.

I agree.  It sounds like something no teen would be caught dead in, and if it's large on you by your standards, if your niece is any smaller she'd be swimming in it.  Just toss it.  It really is that easy.