Author Topic: Your first job  (Read 1205 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Re: Your first job
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »
I never babysat. I worked on a golf course starting at age 14 (first W-2 job).  Before that was ranch work and add jobs for old ladies in town.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »
My cousins were caddies on a golf course (when I was a grocery store cashier).  They made really good money.  Older brother was a bagger/carry-out boy (aaahh, remember those?)

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »
I started babysitting when I was 10. The husband of the couple across the street from us would assist the tow truck driver on occasional night time accident calls, and I would go watch their kids for a couple hours once in a while.

My weekend paying jobs started when I was 12, and continued until I was in my early 20's. During my teenaged years, I made more money babysitting than the kids who picked up a part time job at the grocery store.

Lynnv

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 01:18:09 AM »
Oops.  My sister reminded me that I took care OS neighbors' animals while they were on vacation, too.  That meant shoveling stalls, hauling hay, etc. for the horse folks, in addition to the dog/cat/fish duties. 

But...did you get a W-2 and business paychecks for that?  I also see almost everyone is mentioning babysitting. I think most if not all of us babysat (shrug).  :-\

Nope.  My first W-2 job was in my earlier post.   I was just telling my sister, and she asked why I didn't mention shoveling stalls in my list.    ;)
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

MissRose

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »
I forgot to include a babysitting job I had one summer for a few weeks as a teenager.  It is one I sooner forget.  It was full time but I was paid $80 a week or so in cash.  The kids would not listen to me and were very special snowflakes.  The mother fired me even though she most likely had an idea her kids were not well behaved.

On the other hand, my kid sister did some gymnastic coaching of elementary school aged youngsters during high school before her team practiced.  One of the kids my sister coached was a neighbor girl who also did well in competitive gymnastics for the school when she got older like my sister.

mmswm

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »
My cousins were caddies on a golf course (when I was a grocery store cashier).  They made really good money.  Older brother was a bagger/carry-out boy (aaahh, remember those?)

Publix, the best grocery store chain ever, still has them. :) 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

bloo

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »

I have to concur with you mmswm! Publix is the best grocery chain to shop at ever! They don't have Publix up north but I miss being able to shop there!

(Not the best to work at, though. DH was fired as a teen from there [he was pulling a fly swatter out of laundry detergents that someone had just stuck in there and an Asst. Mgr. that already didn't like him happened to be walking by and accused him of playing around and fired him on the spot] and when he reapplied at a new location in his early 20's was told in the interview that he would have to choose between his job and his religion when he specified not being able to work one night a week or Sunday mornings. However, maybe the toughness on the employees (at the time) was why it was so nice for the customers. According to DH in the late 80's and early 90's it was almost impossible for women to go far in management there. Hope that's changed.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
It has, the management is very diverse at the three locations I frequent. However, it is difficult for people under 17 to get any real job now. My friend's son is a bagger and could not get a job there until he turned 17.

Girlie

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2013, 11:45:14 AM »
My first "real" job was as summer help in a warehouse that manufactures and ships lighting fixtures. I started out on the UPS line, packing and filling orders for shipment on the UPS truck.
Then, they realized I might be able to help them in the office, so they moved me upstairs and gave me the job of tracking shipments as they came in and making sure that they were placed in the correct areas once unloaded.

$10/hr is what I made, and man! Did I think I was RICH!

Wish I'd saved more of that money, but hindsight's 20/20.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2013, 11:53:23 AM »
My first real job was as an attendant at a swimming pool in a state park.  I was 17 and my job was to provide locker keys to visitors.   The job itself wasn't  bad but my supervisor was.  He was both racist and determined to have me fired so his daughter could get the job. 

The park was on the Hudson River and we would often get boats chartered by church groups or social clubs.  Many of the people on these charters were Hispanic or African-American. 

The supervisor I'll call 'Larry' told me, in no uncertain terms, that I should assign people from these groups rusty, musty lockers in the back of the facility because, 'We don't want their kind here'. I didn't because I couldn't do something that was illegal. I also didn't think it was right. 

People would swim then change to go for lunch and enjoy other parts of the park.  When they left, it
was my job to collect their locker keys, issue a receipt with the locker number, if they'd left things in their locker, and stamp their hands so they could get back into enjoy another swim or just collect their possessions.

I was good at this but Larry tried to undermine me.  One day, I came back from lunch and he threw
 a hand-full of locker keys in my face.

'I found these half-way up the mountain!  You're not doing your job and you ain't putting the N------- where you should be putting them!  I'm getting you fired!'

All the keys were from one section.  It was obvious to anyone who looked that he just grabbed a
bunch of keys and threw them at me. At the time, I was a very meek person but this was too much even for me.       

My father had worked with Larry and I told him about this.  Everyone who worked with Larry knew
that he was on a hair-trigger.  His wife and daughter were lovely people but Larry was a border-line nut   

Larry lived only a few streets away from us.  My father made a little stroll after dinner and had a
chat with Larry. 

The harassment stopped and Larry 'retired' soon after

That first job taught me a lot about bosses.       

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:00:55 PM by Thipu1 »

mmswm

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »

I have to concur with you mmswm! Publix is the best grocery chain to shop at ever! They don't have Publix up north but I miss being able to shop there!

(Not the best to work at, though. DH was fired as a teen from there [he was pulling a fly swatter out of laundry detergents that someone had just stuck in there and an Asst. Mgr. that already didn't like him happened to be walking by and accused him of playing around and fired him on the spot] and when he reapplied at a new location in his early 20's was told in the interview that he would have to choose between his job and his religion when he specified not being able to work one night a week or Sunday mornings. However, maybe the toughness on the employees (at the time) was why it was so nice for the customers. According to DH in the late 80's and early 90's it was almost impossible for women to go far in management there. Hope that's changed.)

Wow.  I had a totally different experience when I worked there in the mid-90's.  My manager was awesome.  I was only part time, but he knew I was struggling to put myself through college and pay for my physical therapy from my hiking accident.  He always worked around my schedule, including my church schedule, and gave me a Christmas bonus even though I wasn't supposed to have one since I wasn't full time. I wasn't there for very long (about a year), but I still consider it one of the best place I worked.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

bloo

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2013, 11:59:32 AM »
It has, the management is very diverse at the three locations I frequent. However, it is difficult for people under 17 to get any real job now. My friend's son is a bagger and could not get a job there until he turned 17.

That's good to know about Publix!

It's funny. I was 14 when I applied for a job at Domino's Pizza in the late 80's and didn't lie on my app. They hired me anyway. My son wants to get a part-time job at a local burger joint and needs a work permit since he's still in school. He's also 17. Since he's homeschooled, I have a few hoops to jump through before he can even apply for the work permit! No corporate or franchise will hire him w/o it but he's been picking up temp jobs in lawncare and farming to make money for the last couple of years from our friends that have Landscaping and farming businesses.

It's frustrating but as DH and I say, 'there's never a problem until there's a problem.' So it's more important than ever for businesses to mind their 'p's & q's, legally.

bloo

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »

Wow.  I had a totally different experience when I worked there in the mid-90's.  My manager was awesome.  I was only part time, but he knew I was struggling to put myself through college and pay for my physical therapy from my hiking accident.  He always worked around my schedule, including my church schedule, and gave me a Christmas bonus even though I wasn't supposed to have one since I wasn't full time. I wasn't there for very long (about a year), but I still consider it one of the best place I worked.

I'm glad to know that! We've been kicking around the idea of moving back to SW Florida. We wouldn't live too far from a Publix so it's good to know that DS might be able to get a job there and have a nice work environment.

Cami

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2013, 12:09:51 PM »
I was 16. I was hired as a demonstrator in a fabric store for the Christmas season. It was this punch embroidery gadget. I was supposed to sit there in the store at a special table and demonstrate and sell the gadget.   It was a straight hourly wage, NOT commission-based. They fired all the demonstrators about 4 weeks in and then refused to pay us for the time we'd worked. My father (who never gave me any help in life) actually stepped up and helped me complain to the state department of labor and then we got paid.

mmswm

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
I was 16. I was hired as a demonstrator in a fabric store for the Christmas season. It was this punch embroidery gadget. I was supposed to sit there in the store at a special table and demonstrate and sell the gadget.   It was a straight hourly wage, NOT commission-based. They fired all the demonstrators about 4 weeks in and then refused to pay us for the time we'd worked. My father (who never gave me any help in life) actually stepped up and helped me complain to the state department of labor and then we got paid.

Slight threadjack:

The US DOL doesn't play when it comes to people's paychecks.  My father likes to tell the story of when DOL investigators came into his place of employment after a wage and hour complaint. He wasn't management at the time, but apparently some of the drivers and line men weren't being paid for all the hours they were working.   Dad said a whole platoon of law enforcement officers from various agencies swarmed in, locked all the filing cabinets and computers and hauled everything out on a semi.  There had been no warning. It was all done "shock and awe" style.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.