Author Topic: Lunch Time Tea  (Read 2658 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Lunch Time Tea
« on: February 16, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »
So tomorrow afternoon is my book club meeting and the hostess had a sudden change in plans, so I volunteered to host. Normally the hostess serves a light lunch, like quiche or soup and salad followed by a sweet bread or coffee cake and fruit. I thought since we're reading a book set in England that features several scenes at afternoon teas, I would do a "tea" themed lunch. I'm a pescatarian so I'll serve vegetarian or fish dishes but nothing with meat. Does this seem like it will be enough for lunch for 6?

Salmon and cream cheese on baguette
Cucumber and herb butter on white bread
Egg salad on sourdough
Mixed baby greens with a honey orange vinaigrette
Scones with strawberry vanilla jam and grapefruit ginger marmalade
Persimmon spiced cake
Fruit salad

For drinks I'll plan on serving what everybody else does: white wine & water with lunch, coffee and tea with dessert.

Should I add some roasted nuts? Olives?

Amara

Re: Lunch Time Tea
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:02:38 PM »
I think your menu sounds delightful and perfectly in tune with the book. You could add to it, but I don't think I would.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:11:07 PM »
I think that's plenty.  Persimmon spiced cake sounds yummy.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:17:20 PM »
Your menu sounds perfect!  Can I join in?  ;)  I love doing afternoon tea.  Can't imagine a better way to spend an afternoon. 

Have fun!

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:18:43 PM »
Your menu sounds lovely.  You might consider having some Pimms to drink, if you want to go totally english.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
do people know about your eating restrictions?  I would let them know the menu ahead of time in case they feel the need to grab an alternate source of protein ahead of time.  It sounds good but I know a lot of people who would expect meat at lunch and eggs or fish might not be what they have in mind.  It is a great idea but if people forgo lunch to eat it there it might be wise to tell them what is on the menu.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 08:06:04 PM »
The whole meal sounds delicious.  If people can't have a meal without meat, that's their problem not yours. 

Also, during Lent, many Christians may welcome a meat-free lunch.

If I may make one small suggestion, a bit of curry powder in the herb butter for the cucumber sandwiches would be a lovely touch.  I always made it that way when we celebrated Frederick's Birthday at the Gilbert and Sullivan Society.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 08:36:20 PM »
As someone who don't like salmon and cream cheese, I can still see myself satisfied after eating the rest of the menu.  Also, may I suggest adding a non-sweet dressing option for the baby greens?

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 08:55:53 PM »
I agree, rose red.  I'd pass on the salmon and cream cheese but for a lunchtime meal I'd be fime with a few of the other things, topped off with the spice cake.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »
do people know about your eating restrictions?  I would let them know the menu ahead of time in case they feel the need to grab an alternate source of protein ahead of time.  It sounds good but I know a lot of people who would expect meat at lunch and eggs or fish might not be what they have in mind.  It is a great idea but if people forgo lunch to eat it there it might be wise to tell them what is on the menu.

Great point, Sharnita. Fortunately, most of us fall on the vegetarian/pescatarian spectrum so if meat is served to our group it's as a side dish.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 10:59:07 PM »
Looks delicious. I'd love that.

Are you pulling out any fun silverware/fancy dishes/tea cups that are stashed away? That is always fun with a delicate fancy meal!

Amara

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »
I was curious about high tea so did a quick Google search, which turned up, among others, this: http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=23#.USBa3t1kk4Q

Library Dragon

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 12:30:07 AM »
May I come too  :D
It sounds delicious and during Lent very welcome. There are many people who eat almost meat free, but don't tell people because they don't want anyone looking over shoulders when they have a piece of chicken.  They will be appreciative as well.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

sweetonsno

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 03:26:36 AM »
Sounds yummy. If you can find clotted cream, serve it with the scones. It's a bit tough to come by in my neck of the woods, but it's a delightful treat if it's available.

I don't think you need to do anything else.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 04:18:20 AM »
I was curious about high tea so did a quick Google search, which turned up, among others, this: http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid=23#.USBa3t1kk4Q

Hahaha, Google, that would have been a good idea. I was actually mimicking the menu from the only time I had a so-called high tea and had no idea it was so traditional!