Author Topic: Le Creuset  (Read 2796 times)

Amara

Re: Le Creuset
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »
I made that bread and it came out of the oven, looking oh-so-gorgeous and smelling divine, about ten minutes ago. Why did I wait so long to buy Le Creuset? (Oh, yeah, because it's so expensive.) But wow, it is glorious. I am going to the market tomorrow to buy the makings for Cook's Illustrated beef burgundy.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 03:43:19 PM »

Why oh why do our oven doors open top to bottom and force you to reach across a red-hot, 3-foot long slab of metal? ? ?  Wouldn't it be safer if they opened side to side like a regular door?

Because then you'd have a red hot slab of metal that might accidentally swing around and burn your whole side. Best option? Roll up doors. Just slide them into the top, like a roll top desk. Or into the bottom. Either way, it's out of your way. Now someone find me one.

Oh, brilliant!  I knew there had to be a better way!

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »
Here's the cookbook I use for my Le Creuset: Glorious One Pot Meals. I like the "Beef with Sherried Mushroom Sauce" on page 88.

Craftyone

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 06:51:51 PM »
I was lucky enough one Christmas to have my husband walking though the upmarket dept store in the city wondering what he could get me for Christmas when he espied this....
28cm Le Creuset fry pan.  I've got it in a dark blue.

It's heavy so it lives on the stovetop.  I use it constantly.  I've got the pan with the frypan lid too.  It also lives on the stovetop.  It's good for making scrambled eggs as it washes up so easily. 

I've got a ribbed grill pan from Le Chasseur but I don't have use for it often.  It's cheaper than Le Creusuet and the only difference (and this is from googling) seems to be an extra layer of enamel on the Le Creuset.  On one forum someone did say they were told Le Ch will last you 30 years and Le Cr will last a lifetime but I think that can come down to "use and abuse" too.

Edited because I just remembered I've got this too (but I don't use it that much)
Le Creuset casserole  but mine is a baby blue.  I got it on special in a dept store I think because the colour was being phased out.  I should be painting the guest bedroom but I'm drooling over cookware LOL.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 07:04:45 PM by Craftyone »

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »
Do those of you with several pieces generally stick to one color?

I try to stick with one color, but only because I get obsessive about things like that.   ;D

A former salesman at our local LeCreuset outlet store once told me that you could spot true fans of LeCreuset, because they couldn't find all the pieces they wanted in one color, so they'd just give up and buy multiple colors.

Amara

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2013, 09:34:34 PM »
I want to build my collection in different colors. Right now I am in love with the Fennel. On their website it appears to be more of an emerald green, and if so I will plan to save for several items, including dinnerware, in that color.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2013, 10:00:25 PM »
I loved the Caribbean. I hadn't heard of the Fennel color. I just looked that up and looove it!!! Yikes. I hope they keep the color until I can afford a larger Dutch oven in that color!

ilrag

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 10:16:18 PM »
I mix and match colors.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 01:43:36 PM »
Amara,

Now that you've shared your hatred of washing dishes in the clean house thread, I just wnat to emphasize that your beautiful new le creuset needs to be washed AND dried immediately after use.  ;) I hope you continue to love it!  I know I love mine.  Especially for any sort of stew that needs to be cooked long and slow in the oven.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Amara

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »
joraemi, you made me laugh out loud. Yes, I do wash and thoroughly dry the Le Creuset immediately after use. The same with my cast iron pan. Then there's the blender and food processor and ...

Well, let's just say that I am slowly, but surely, becoming philosophical about dishwashing. The nicer the dishes and cookware I have the less, shall I say, that washing them becomes less a chore and more of the process of creation. That is, cooking fine meals is a multi-part process, and washing the instruments is as much a part of that creation as cutting the meat and vegetables into the precise sizes needed or adding just the right amount of spice. I think that is part of the "mindful" thinking I mentioned earlier that I am working on. I want to get myself to that place where each part is essential to the beauty of the creation--and dishwashing is certainly one.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 08:25:26 PM »
My daughter reminded me yesterday that I got the above mentioned Dutch oven when she was a baby and she is now almost 36!  At the same time I bought Copco saucepans and frying pans.  I wish I have bought Le Creuset as they have not stood up to use.