Author Topic: S/O needing a hug - needing a POWER SONG :)  (Read 1381 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
S/O needing a hug - needing a POWER SONG :)
« on: February 17, 2013, 01:00:11 AM »
So I was responding to this thread, and in my post I suggested to the OP to listen to some songs that may make them feel better and it got me wondering...
*apologies if this kind of thread already exists, but if so I figured I'd reincarnate it. ;)*

When life leaves you needing hugs and rude people are driving you crazy, what song would you listen to that would make you feel better? IMHO, there are plenty of songs about love (angst/unrequited/break up/make up etc. etc. etc.), and lots dealing with partying or generally having fun, but I think it takes a little more searching to find songs that deal with having confidence and/or fighting for yourself.

Of course you could put on Katrina and the Waves ubiquitous "I'm Walking On Sunshine," but what if you needed something with a little more...attitude? >:D

So I'll start...

For general upbeat confidence, I enjoy "Strut" by Adam Lambert, while his "Sure Fire Winners" is a good booster song.

For people who like to talk smack to you, meddle in your life, and judge where it isn't their place, I recommend "None of Your Business" by Salt n' Pepa, and of course the ever awesome "Free Your Mind" by En Vogue.  ;D

For those who struggle with issues of self acceptance, Salt N' Pepa come to the rescue again with the sexy "I Am The Body Beautiful," from the awesome movie "To Wong Foo..." (I am not mentioning the famous Christina Aguilera song because it is a little too on the nose/obvious and a little too downbeat for my taste :P)

For times when SS, Gimme Pigs, Family members from ehell, clueless coworkers and all the other people in your life are driving you crazy, perhaps the classic "Caught Out There" by Kelis, aka the "I hate you so much right now" song! ::) Or if there are any metalheads who are looking to bang their heads so they don't punch someone, maybe they will appreciate the lyrics to "Never Enough" by Five Finger Death Punch?

Lastly, for the time when you need to brush it all off and revel in your own awesomeness, I personally recommend "Fancy Free" by Sun - since this one is hard to find I will provide a link to it.

Of course there are many more great songs to listen to to help yourself feel better - I'm just waiting for you guys to tell me about them! ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

squeakers

Re: S/O needing a hug - needing a POWER SONG :)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:39:13 AM »
I prefer compilations.. which not only uplift me.. but remind me to buy either a new disc or individual songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZtTntY7FlI
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:50:26 AM »
Hero
I think the words are important to say, to hear and to believe. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeEaG4gf1O0
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 05:47:42 AM »
Okay - can someone tell me how to post pics here on an iPhone?  I just took a screen shot of my inspiration playlist I'd like to post here.

Chelsealady

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »
My favorite song when I am feeling like the world is out to get me is Rodney Atkins, "If your going thru hell."

"If you're going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared, don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there"

DollyPond

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »

For people who like to talk smack to you, meddle in your life, and judge where it isn't their place, I recommend "None of Your Business" by Salt n' Pepa, and of course the ever awesome "Free Your Mind" by En Vogue.  ;D

Another one for this situation is: My Prerogative by Bobby Brown

And one I've used when people have given me a hard time at work is: 2 Legit 2 Quit by MC Hammer.  The words 2 Legit 2 Quit were on my screensaver at work for a long time.

Amava

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »
"You can't stop the beat" from the musical Hairspray.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:58:02 AM »
For fat days, I find that Jonathon Colton's cover of "Baby Got Back" is comforting.

For general attitude, Akon's "Banaza (Bellydancer)" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdWT8XUUnm0 and Rita Hayworth's "Zip" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP3UlGIILJ0 make me feel sassy.

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »
I vote for 'I Will Survive'. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:18 AM »
I vote for 'I Will Survive'. 

Seconded!

MerryCat

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
I feel like I'm dating myself here, but my top five pick-me-up songs are:

Holding Out for a Hero by Bonnie Tyler
Don't Stop Believing by Journey
Dream On by Nazareth
The Last Saskatchewan Pirate by The Arrogant Worms
You've Got The Touch by Stan Bush

We used the last one in our wedding :)

Dorrie78

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 12:51:03 PM »
My favorite song when I am feeling like the world is out to get me is Rodney Atkins, "If your going thru hell."

"If you're going through hell
Keep on going, don't slow down
If you're scared, don't show it
You might get out
Before the devil even knows you're there"
Seconded. I also love "Bring on the Rain" ny Jo Dee Messina.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »
Raise your glass by P!nk. Get this Party Started is good too- but I prefer the Shirley Bassey version.

RESPECT by Aretha Franklin

Belfast Belle by Lick the Tins

Tainted Love by Gloria Jones- go for the extended version if you can.

Spike Jones if you want a bit of a laugh. Or Tom Lehrer if your tastes run in that direction.
NE England

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »
"Texas in 1880" Can make me push a little harder during a workout.

"Sleeping Sun" By Nightwish for when I'm too anxious to sunction and just need to catch my breath and calm down to kick butt.

"Home" By Phillip Phillips makes me feel like whatever is bad in my life is going to get better. Soon.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:15 PM »
"We Are Family", Sister Sledge
"Back In Black", AC/DC (or anything by them)
"New Sensation", INXS
"Strut", Bob Seger