General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Volunteered by someone else to be there...

(1/4) > >>

WhirlyBird:
I'm so angry right now.

I'm hoping this is in the right place. I'll try and give all the relevant information, but I'm trying to keep this kind of anonymous too...

I volunteer for an organization, and the person holding each position changes on a regular basis. The position I hold requires me to train others in the area, and each person is required to go to one of these trainings every calendar year. It's up to the person doing this job to decide how often, when, and where to hold these trainings.

This organization has something like a sister organization, they come to our events, we go to theirs. Every year the sister organization has a big event, at which there has been a training the last several years.  I have not been asked to have a training at this year's event. I feel like I should be able to make a decision about that, not have it be assumed I will be showing up (which is what happened last year). There are good reasons to not hold a training at this event, and don't feel like I need to explain that to anyone. That time and space could be used much more effectively.

The problem I have is that the person who held this position before me has written an email to the planner of the event and myself, asking the assuming questions of when the training will be during the event. And he has been telling others in the organization that this training is in fact happening. 

As I said, I'm angry. I need some suggestions as to how I can (politely) tell this person to keep his nose out of others' business and to not volunteer me for things. I don't think what I have to say to him right now would be very nice.

LizC:
Go for simple:

"I'm afraid there may have been some miscommunication. I will not be leading Training at this Event Session. Training will be held at Other Event in the fall. So glad we got this sorted before Event Session! Have a great day, etc."

It clarifies what you will be doing, doesn't apologize, justify, etc... just says what's happened, and gives the accurate facts.

cicero:

--- Quote from: LizC on February 17, 2013, 03:17:23 AM ---Go for simple:

"I'm afraid there may have been some miscommunication. I will not be leading Training at this Event Session. Training will be held at Other Event in the fall. So glad we got this sorted before Event Session! Have a great day, etc."

It clarifies what you will be doing, doesn't apologize, justify, etc... just says what's happened, and gives the accurate facts.

--- End quote ---
this sounds good to me.

i don't know the other person and if there is some back story, but - while of course he should have verified before informing others that you would be holding a training session - it doesn't sound too out of the ordinary to assume that there would be a session, seeing as this has been done in the past.

AmethystAnne:

--- Quote from: LizC on February 17, 2013, 03:17:23 AM ---Go for simple:

--- End quote ---

OP, has the assumption been e-mailed? You could reply to the person who made the assumption and to the leader of the group : "I will not be leading a Training at this event. I will let everyone know when the next one is scheduled."

CaffeineKatie:
I love LizC's suggestion!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version