General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Volunteered by someone else to be there...

<< < (2/4) > >>

BeagleMommy:
OP, it sounds like this could be a roundabout way to get you to hold a training.  You know, one of those "well, everyone thinks it is happening so I guess it will have to happen" kind of things.

I would suggest sending an email stating "There seems to be a misunderstanding.  There will not be a training held at The Event.  Please send out another email letting those you've told know.  I will let everyone know when the next training will be held."

Don't apologize for anything.  It was not your mistake.

WhirlyBird:

--- Quote from: AmethystAnne on February 17, 2013, 09:24:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: LizC on February 17, 2013, 03:17:23 AM ---Go for simple:

"I'm afraid there may have been some miscommunication. I will not be leading Training at this Event Session. Training will be held at Other Event in the fall. So glad we got this sorted before Event Session! Have a great day, etc."

It clarifies what you will be doing, doesn't apologize, justify, etc... just says what's happened, and gives the accurate facts.

--- End quote ---

OP, has the assumption been e-mailed? You could reply to the person who made the assumption and to the leader of the group : "I will not be leading a Training at this event. I will let everyone know when the next one is scheduled."

--- End quote ---

Yes, it was emailed to me and the planner.

I decided on a wait and see approach. The planner hasn't replied yet, and until she does, I'm not going to do anything with that. You've all made some great suggestions, though. I will use them. 

Thanks!

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: WhirlyBird on February 18, 2013, 03:49:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: AmethystAnne on February 17, 2013, 09:24:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: LizC on February 17, 2013, 03:17:23 AM ---Go for simple:

"I'm afraid there may have been some miscommunication. I will not be leading Training at this Event Session. Training will be held at Other Event in the fall. So glad we got this sorted before Event Session! Have a great day, etc."

It clarifies what you will be doing, doesn't apologize, justify, etc... just says what's happened, and gives the accurate facts.

--- End quote ---

OP, has the assumption been e-mailed? You could reply to the person who made the assumption and to the leader of the group : "I will not be leading a Training at this event. I will let everyone know when the next one is scheduled."

--- End quote ---

Yes, it was emailed to me and the planner.

I decided on a wait and see approach. The planner hasn't replied yet, and until she does, I'm not going to do anything with that. You've all made some great suggestions, though. I will use them. 

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

I wouldn't do a wait and see approach.  The planner could be doing the same thing. In his or her mind she could be thinking "Well, WhirlyBird hasn't replied back that she isn't doing the training so I guess she is planning on doing the training. I'll have to figure out a way to get it on the agenda.  Shoot, doesn't WhirlyBird know that if we'd wanted the training we would have asked? Why does that organization always just assume we want to do the training?"

artk2002:

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on February 18, 2013, 04:52:22 PM ---I wouldn't do a wait and see approach.  The planner could be doing the same thing. In his or her mind she could be thinking "Well, WhirlyBird hasn't replied back that she isn't doing the training so I guess she is planning on doing the training. I'll have to figure out a way to get it on the agenda.  Shoot, doesn't WhirlyBird know that if we'd wanted the training we would have asked? Why does that organization always just assume we want to do the training?"

--- End quote ---

I agree. Waiting will only make things worse. Get it cleared up ASAP. OP, if you think it's uncomfortable now saying "I haven't been asked and I'm not planning on doing any training this time around," it's only going to be harder and more uncomfortable the closer it gets to the deadline. Because you'll find yourself a week before the event with people saying "But we were counting on you! You didn't say 'no'. You've always done it. How could you leave us in the lurch like this?" (They may say that today, but the earlier this happens, the easier it is to say "sorry, not happening.")

Roe:
Agree. Don't rely on the wait and see approach.  In the end, you'll feel stuck and go along with what they want.

Also, it sounds as if they pulled this same thing last year?  Am I right to assume that? 

I'd send Liz's suggestion. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version