Author Topic: Volunteered by someone else to be there...  (Read 4044 times)

WhirlyBird

Volunteered by someone else to be there...
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:06:18 AM »
I'm so angry right now.

I'm hoping this is in the right place. I'll try and give all the relevant information, but I'm trying to keep this kind of anonymous too...

I volunteer for an organization, and the person holding each position changes on a regular basis. The position I hold requires me to train others in the area, and each person is required to go to one of these trainings every calendar year. It's up to the person doing this job to decide how often, when, and where to hold these trainings.

This organization has something like a sister organization, they come to our events, we go to theirs. Every year the sister organization has a big event, at which there has been a training the last several years.  I have not been asked to have a training at this year's event. I feel like I should be able to make a decision about that, not have it be assumed I will be showing up (which is what happened last year). There are good reasons to not hold a training at this event, and don't feel like I need to explain that to anyone. That time and space could be used much more effectively.

The problem I have is that the person who held this position before me has written an email to the planner of the event and myself, asking the assuming questions of when the training will be during the event. And he has been telling others in the organization that this training is in fact happening. 

As I said, I'm angry. I need some suggestions as to how I can (politely) tell this person to keep his nose out of others' business and to not volunteer me for things. I don't think what I have to say to him right now would be very nice.

LizC

Re: Volunteered by someone else to be there...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17:23 AM »
Go for simple:

"I'm afraid there may have been some miscommunication. I will not be leading Training at this Event Session. Training will be held at Other Event in the fall. So glad we got this sorted before Event Session! Have a great day, etc."

It clarifies what you will be doing, doesn't apologize, justify, etc... just says what's happened, and gives the accurate facts.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:30:38 AM »
Go for simple:

"I'm afraid there may have been some miscommunication. I will not be leading Training at this Event Session. Training will be held at Other Event in the fall. So glad we got this sorted before Event Session! Have a great day, etc."

It clarifies what you will be doing, doesn't apologize, justify, etc... just says what's happened, and gives the accurate facts.
this sounds good to me.

i don't know the other person and if there is some back story, but - while of course he should have verified before informing others that you would be holding a training session - it doesn't sound too out of the ordinary to assume that there would be a session, seeing as this has been done in the past.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 09:24:32 AM »
Go for simple:

OP, has the assumption been e-mailed? You could reply to the person who made the assumption and to the leader of the group : "I will not be leading a Training at this event. I will let everyone know when the next one is scheduled."

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »
I love LizC's suggestion!

BeagleMommy

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
OP, it sounds like this could be a roundabout way to get you to hold a training.  You know, one of those "well, everyone thinks it is happening so I guess it will have to happen" kind of things.

I would suggest sending an email stating "There seems to be a misunderstanding.  There will not be a training held at The Event.  Please send out another email letting those you've told know.  I will let everyone know when the next training will be held."

Don't apologize for anything.  It was not your mistake.

WhirlyBird

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
Go for simple:

OP, has the assumption been e-mailed? You could reply to the person who made the assumption and to the leader of the group : "I will not be leading a Training at this event. I will let everyone know when the next one is scheduled."

Yes, it was emailed to me and the planner.

I decided on a wait and see approach. The planner hasn't replied yet, and until she does, I'm not going to do anything with that. You've all made some great suggestions, though. I will use them. 

Thanks!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
Go for simple:

I decided on a wait and see approach. The planner hasn't replied yet, and until she does, I'm not going to do anything with that. You've all made some great suggestions, though. I will use them. 

Thanks!

I wouldn't do a wait and see approach.  The planner could be doing the same thing. In his or her mind she could be thinking "Well, WhirlyBird hasn't replied back that she isn't doing the training so I guess she is planning on doing the training. I'll have to figure out a way to get it on the agenda.  Shoot, doesn't WhirlyBird know that if we'd wanted the training we would have asked? Why does that organization always just assume we want to do the training?"

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »
I wouldn't do a wait and see approach.  The planner could be doing the same thing. In his or her mind she could be thinking "Well, WhirlyBird hasn't replied back that she isn't doing the training so I guess she is planning on doing the training. I'll have to figure out a way to get it on the agenda.  Shoot, doesn't WhirlyBird know that if we'd wanted the training we would have asked? Why does that organization always just assume we want to do the training?"

I agree. Waiting will only make things worse. Get it cleared up ASAP. OP, if you think it's uncomfortable now saying "I haven't been asked and I'm not planning on doing any training this time around," it's only going to be harder and more uncomfortable the closer it gets to the deadline. Because you'll find yourself a week before the event with people saying "But we were counting on you! You didn't say 'no'. You've always done it. How could you leave us in the lurch like this?" (They may say that today, but the earlier this happens, the easier it is to say "sorry, not happening.")
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »
Agree. Don't rely on the wait and see approach.  In the end, you'll feel stuck and go along with what they want.

Also, it sounds as if they pulled this same thing last year?  Am I right to assume that? 

I'd send Liz's suggestion. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 09:24:37 PM »
Ditto everyone else.  Do not wait.  Get it in writing right now so that "others" (whoever they may be) don't start making plans around your 'training session'. 

I love the words suggested by LizC.

Go for simple:

doodlemor

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 10:47:47 PM »
POD those who say to get this in writing now.  The longer you wait, the worse the fallout will be.

You stated......."The problem I have is that the person who held this position before me has written an email to the planner of the event and myself, asking the assuming questions of when the training will be during the event. And he has been telling others in the organization that this training is in fact happening." 

Would this person who previously held the job be eligible to do the training, and would he do a credible job?  If so, I'd be tempted to suggest that he hold the training session himself.

Minmom3

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:38 PM »
Go for simple:

Thanks!

This might be one of the few times when Reply All could be used handily and properly to tell them ALL that there is no training happening, and that you will tell them when one is planned, etc.  Gets that important message of "Oh, NO, there's not..." out there and said for all to see.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

oogyda

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 08:22:43 AM »
You've said it is up to the person holding your position to decide when and where the required training will be done.  Have you scheduled opportunities for the training and published that schedule?  Do members know that there will be other opportunities?  Are they as convenient? 

I realize you're upset at the *assumption* you'll be doing the training at sister org's event, and agree it's rude and presumptious.  However, precedence has been set, so the assumption has merit.  There may be several/many people who count on being able to obtain their training at this event, and you'll be letting them down. 

Edited to address explaining yourself even though you don't feel you should have to.  Honestly, that sounds petulant.  If you have good reasons, why not share them?  It may mean the difference between others thinking you're not living up to your comittment, and thinking your reasons make sense. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:50:05 AM by oogyda »
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 10:26:59 AM »
Go for simple:

Thanks!

I don't quite get why you're waiting.

The guy made a relatively simple mistake. Just correct him. Now, right away, before he confuses more people.

and also, waiting just means he can say (to himself or to others) that you're disorganized or disrespectful.

And I'm w/ oogyda--you have a big audience (two entire organizations). Be responsive and transparent to them.