General Etiquette > Life...in general

Social Q's -- When a friend signs up under your name to benefit you

<< < (2/4) > >>

Winterlight:
I think friend sounds really petty.

WillyNilly:
I don't know... yes its petty to ask for a cut of the benefit, but I think $500 is a low estimate on an anual gym membership (DH pays $750 a year, my stepmom pays $1k annually), so its a good deal for passively sitting around asking someone to just mention your name. Its not like LW did something, like talk up his gym, take the friend for a trial day, etc to earn to bonus. So what's the big deal handing the guy a twenty, or doing some nice small gesture for him (I wuld have countered the first "spilt it with me" with "how about I take you to lunch")?

I use a reservation service (opentable.com) and dine out with friends often. I have asked many times if I can make the reservations so I can get the points... and I make sure to use my gift certs from those points with the people I dine out with most.

Morticia:
So wrong and petty. I recently got an email from a friend forwarding something from a group buy site. I didn't want it, but I clicked on a link to see what else they had and found something I wanted very much. When I noticed she could get site credit for my purchase, I had her refer it to me.  My purchase was expensive, so it was a fair credit.  It is her credit, for her to buy stuff for her. 

wellisawstar:
I guess I just think that part of being a friend is doing nice things for each other. This nice thing didn't cost the friend a thing.

When we were about to make a registry at a certain store for our wedding, a friend whose wedding we had just attended asked if we could put her name in the referral section of our form. We did, and she got a gift certificate that helped her buy another item on her registry. I have never had any qualms about it -- she's my friend, and I want to help.

MariaE:

--- Quote from: wellisawstar on February 17, 2013, 03:04:28 PM ---I guess I just think that part of being a friend is doing nice things for each other. This nice thing didn't cost the friend a thing.

When we were about to make a registry at a certain store for our wedding, a friend whose wedding we had just attended asked if we could put her name in the referral section of our form. We did, and she got a gift certificate that helped her buy another item on her registry. I have never had any qualms about it -- she's my friend, and I want to help.

--- End quote ---

This is where I come down as well.

We have a rewards system at work where we get a nice reward if we refer somebody to come work for us and they stay for at least three months. I'd think a lot less of somebody who'd ask for a cut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version