Author Topic: Chicken Pot Pie - requested by Winterlight  (Read 1043 times)

POF

Chicken Pot Pie - requested by Winterlight
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:12:50 AM »
Chicken -

Once a month or so - I will take a roaster chicken, put it in my Dutch Oven and cook it till it falls apart. I pull the meat and package it in 2 1/2 cup portions in freezer bags. Great for tacos, soup, chicken salad etc.

I have also made this pot pie very successfully with a rotissiere chicken or leftover turkey or what have you :)

My apologies - but I am not a recipe cook - unless I am baking ... but I will try to post this.

Crust - I use the Pillsbury pie crust, I like its really easy to use and I am not a pastry person. Plus using this - lets me put chicken pie on the weeknight rotation.

Chicken - 2 1/2 cups - see above

Veggies - I use 2 large diced medium sized red potatoes. , 2 sliced up carrots ( real ones - not babys - if you use babys use about 8 ), 1/2 sweet onion diced, green peas - frozen - about 3/4 cup.  - You can vary up the veggies to suit yourself .... I sometimes use parsnips or sweet potatoes.  I like a bit of color and will occasionally use some diced red peppers.

Spices - salt and pepper to taste, poultry seasoning - about 1 1/2 tsp. 

Broth - I box of low salt chicken broth ( bonus points if you have  homemade , also if you have leftover homemade gravy - use that ! - you are basically making a gravy here )

Directions -

Melt 2 TBSP of butter and add in onions, potatoes and carrots and let cook - I like it if they get some brown on them .  if they stick add a bit of butter or oil.
Add 2 TBSP of flour , stir and cook for 2 minutes ( making a roux here )
Add the chicken broth a cup at a time - stirring thoroughly to incorporate, until you have a smooth gravy.  Add seasonings and about 1/2 cup of cream / half and half or while milk.  Add chicken, let simmer for 10 15 minutes.  it should be medium thick - too thin - let simmer some more ( or add a bit of flour ) too thick add a small bit of broth.

Lay the bottom crust in pie pan - I use a glass pyrex pan and never have it stick. if using metal - I would use some cooking spay or butter on bottom.

Add frozen peas to the filling, stir and ladle filling into crust. Leave a space at top - I usually have some filling left over and will use on toast or biscuits or noodles at a later time.

Put on top crust. Cut about 4 or 5 slits in top to let steam escape.  beat an egg with a bit of water and brus on top crust.

Bake at 425 for about 45 minutes.  Top will brown first - so cover with foil if getting too dark.  Done - when crust looks brown and filling is hot and bubbly.

Let sit for about 10 minutes before cutting.,

This is more a method than a recipe, I've made this with leftover pork and beef, I've made a vegetarion version with curry spiced gravy - kind of like a big samosa.

Hope you like it.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Chicken Pot Pie - requested by Winterlight
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »
Sounds delicious.

We make a much simpler version which is more like a casserole without a bottom crust.  For the top crust, we use fillo dough. 

POF

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
Sounds delicious.

We make a much simpler version which is more like a casserole without a bottom crust.  For the top crust, we use fillo dough.

I do that too! especially when I make a vegetarian .... speaking of phyllo - now I want Spanokopita .....

Mikayla

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:30:07 PM »
I guess this is a mini hijack, but if you ever crave spanikopita and don't have a lot of time, I make a quickie version with crescent rolls that is truly yummy.  This is very similar to how I do it:  http://www.attheredtable.com/2012/02/spanakopita-puffs-part-iv-of-how-to.html

My spices are slightly different and I add a little extra spinach and feta, because I eat these with a fork for dinner.  But the amounts as listed are fine for finger foods.

POF

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »
OHHHH sounds great - I might have to make this weekend....

Chip2

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 01:31:51 PM »
I put biscuit dough on top of my pot pies. Very easy to whip up a batch in about 5 minutes (or you could cheat and use canned biscuits). Frozen puff pastry dough or canned croissant dough works well too.

btperson

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:39:47 PM »
The scratch pot pie sounds delicious!    I will totally make that very soon!

If you want a QUICK recipe in a pinch, you can mix:
1 can peas and carrots, partly drained
1 can Chicken-a-la-King
1 can deboned chicken, drained (or leftover chicken pieces)
Pour onto the bottom crust in pie pan.
Place top pie crust, cook at about 325-375 degrees.
Just can't take as much "credit" for it as a really home-made one.   ;)