Author Topic: Proud of my kid's ettiquette!  (Read 2186 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Proud of my kid's ettiquette!
« on: February 18, 2013, 09:01:20 AM »
I know we often think those lessons are going over our kid's heads - but sometimes they pull something out that really impresses.

I taught DD a long time ago about having polite responses that are automatic to things we hear frequently - about how it's nice to have an automatic "doing great, how are you?" or a "I'm just looking, thank you anyway" for routine off the cuff interactions. As a kid, she had a hard time responding - she thought people really wanted to know the answer, not just hear a quick response, and going through coffee hour at church could TAKE an hour for her to answer all the little routine "how's it going" sort of inquiries.

We went to see her this weekend, one last time before she deploys, and took her to dinner in uniform. (Yes, VERY proud parents!). The waitress, when she brought the check, told us that she'd added a military discount, and looked DD in the eye and said "Thank you for your service". DD piped up with "Thank  you for your support!" with no hesitation. We asked her later if that was something they taught in basic, and she said no, she'd spent some time thinking about the right thing to say, because she knew that it would come up and she wasn't prepared the first time it happened and felt dumb.

She listened! LOL

Feel free to share your own proud parenting moments - etiquette seems to be the last thing they demonstrate!

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Re: Proud of my kid's ettiquette!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 09:54:53 AM »
It's always a proud moment to see your child grow up to display good manners!  :)

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »
Well done RebeccainGA.  Also thank your daughter from this Army vet. 

Someone from church once stopped me and me said that she wanted to comment on my sons.  Uh oh! Mom alert went off.  She shared that she was as a big box store and saw my DSs going to their car.  They stopped and gathered up the shopping carts that were randomly blocking in other cars.  They then got in their car and drove off. 

She was impressed that they did something nice that none of the drivers wouldn't see or know. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

gen xer

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:55:55 PM »

I'm a civilian working for the Canadian Forces and I love to see the military get the recognition they deserve :)  Nice too that your daughter has such a positive response to those who express their gratitude for their service - she sounds so thoughtful.

Arrynne

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:38:49 PM »
Your daughter rocks. 

BeagleMommy

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
Your daughter is classy!

My story:  DH, DS and I were in Florida on vacation.  DS was about 10.  We were standing at the baggage carosel waiting for our luggage.  Next to us was an elderly Japanese couple also waiting.  As their bags came down they were not able to grab them.  DS ran around following the belt and grabbed their bags and brought them back to where they were standing.  I was a proud Mama that day.

Paper Roses

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
We were on vacation in Hawaii with our two oldest, who were then 5 and 2 years old.  After a long day of driving around and sightseeing, we were in a pretty remote area, and the only restaurant we could find was kind of "upscale" - not a typical family place; not a place you'd bring young kids, but it was the ONLY place around that was open. 

We went in, and the hostess visibly made a disturbed face when she saw us with the kids, but sat us anyway.  Our daughter, the 2-year-old, was still young enough to sit in the high chair.  Our son, the 5-year-old, was well-behaved, but having spent so long sitting in the car, was a bit restless, so we let him get up from the table and go look at the beautiful indoor waterfall/fish pond display that they had.  (He was close enough that we could still see him, and he wasn't causing any trouble).  Suddenly, I saw him go running across the floor toward the hostess, saying "Excuse me!!  Excuse me!!" then he stopped and was talking to the hostess for a minute, then he came back to our table (This all happened within a matter of seconds - it's not like he was running around freely the entire time we were there).

Anyway, a waiter came up behind him, smiling from ear to ear, thanking him (and us) profusely.  It turned out that our son had seen this waiter drop some money out of his pocket as he was walking by, and he tried to catch him to give it back, but the waiter had gone into the restaurant's kitchen before he could, so he explained it to the hostess and gave her the money, which she then returned to the waiter.

I was so proud of him that night!  And of myself, for not telling the hostess to be a little less judgmental of families with children!
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »
After 4 years, my daughter now has restaurant manners. She can list them off for me. The last two times we out for dinner/breakdast with a large group of people she sat for over 2 hours in her chair. She tried everything that was put in front of her. She drew quietly or chatted very nicely people that asked her questions. She did not complain when food took a looong time to show up (though she asked me several times very quietly). It was great!

Now if only:
a) I wasn't about to have a second kid and
b) she would be half as good at home.

CakeEater

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 10:43:16 PM »
DD with autism mostly has please and thank you sorted out now. Other things not so much, but I'm always happy to hear those two used properly.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 11:21:15 PM »
Can a proud aunt/cousin speak up.
Loren, Brett and their cousins have wonderful museum manners.

• [size=78%]They look with their eyes not their hands.[/size]
  • [size=78%]They use inside voices[/size]
  • [size=78%]In hands on areas they read/ask how to use the equipment instead of running through spinning/knocking around every thing in sight.[/size]
  • [size=78%]They ask the docents age appropriate questions and thank them for their answers. (They still struggle with the difference between docents and guards and don't quite understand why guards don't answer questions - after all how do you steal a dinosaur?)[/size]

They also have wonderful zoo manners
  • [size=78%]They don't bang on the glass because they wouldn't want a big space monster banging on their bedroom window.[/size]
  • [size=78%]They know that sometimes the animals want to stay inside and that yelling at the zoo employees to make them come out is just wrong. [/size]
  • [size=78%]You only can pet the animals the docents have out for you to pet - and rex the elephant dog if he is there when they have their showers and the docent says it is ok. (Rex is different because he is in the display but comes up to the window for the kids to pet him)[/size]
  • [size=78%]Again know how to respectfully ask docents questions. [/size]

The kids are  4, 5, 7, 8, 9
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 04:58:15 PM »
Well, I don't have kids, but...

I love the kids who ask me if they can pet my dog. Good kids!

I love the kids at Mass who sit quietly, especially the littlest ones. Sweeties!

I love the little boy I met at a church function who knew and used Please, Thank You, and Excuse Me in the way you'd expect from a well-raised Royal child. I think he was about 6. What a gentleman!

I especially love my friend's son who has Asperger's, and whose manners are just as good as the rest of their kids. He works at it hard, and is doing wonderfully.

And you know who I really love? Their parents!
If you have an opinion about my life, raise your hand!
Now, put it over your mouth.