Author Topic: Update #20 Enough is enough, but how to say it?  (Read 4629 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Enough is enough, but how to say it?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »
Maybe stop using a positive.

Use a negative. It seems like that may be the only thing that gets through. When you reiterate when you ARE there, that doesn't tell him to stop.

Say, "No, I will not be here after hours. I'm sorry I can't help you. If you don't want to come in early (since I'm here before you), then you'll need to find someone else. Perhaps you can try a real-estate office or the Yellow Pages. Good luck."

And then never respond when he asks repeatedly.

Dorrie78

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
Maybe stop using a positive.

Use a negative. It seems like that may be the only thing that gets through. When you reiterate when you ARE there, that doesn't tell him to stop.

Say, "No, I will not be here after hours. I'm sorry I can't help you. If you don't want to come in early (since I'm here before you), then you'll need to find someone else. Perhaps you can try a real-estate office or the Yellow Pages. Good luck."

And then never respond when he asks repeatedly.
I agree with this - I guess I don't understand what exactly the problem is. OP - your workday ends at 4:30. Just leave at that time. You've told him that is when you leave. Why are you having any sort of a discussion with him about your hours? Tell him once that if he shows up after 4:30, you won't be there and then ignore any emails or calls after that ask you to stay later.

Only me

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2013, 12:37:24 PM »
Hi

I work retail and our posted  hrs are xx - yy, and people show up at 1 minute before yy and think they can start shopping and we'll just stay late, since we're there to serve them. Right? no, not right.

I would suggest you tell anyone, posted hours are xxx but somehow stress that your out of the offce at closing.

onlyme

lowspark

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
I am a notary.  I am the only one where I work.  The company paid for my renewal and new stamp a few years ago, and I notarize company documents whenever requested.

I will also notarize personal documents for employees when needed. But one employee is driving me crazy. His work hours and mine end at the same time.  He wants me to stay beyond my quitting time so he can get off work and then come to my office to notarize something (he works 2 blocks away). So far, we've only communicated in voice mails, but I have told him that my office hours are from 7:30-4:30, and if he wants me to do this, he needs to see me then.

I have tried the Toots Special, repeating in each message I leave him "my office hours are from 7:30-4:30" but it doesn't seem to sink in.

Suggestions?

Quit calling him back. You've already left him voice mails with the information he needs. He now either shows up during your office hours or he doesn't. Either way, it's not your problem. If he continues to leave you voice mails, just ignore them. Question has been asked and answered multiple times. End of story.

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »
Another thing - if he showed up in my office and stood in front of me at 4:25 with his papers, I'd tell him he would have to come back tomorrow or get notarized someplace else.  I used to hate those 4:55 calls/appearances because I need time to finish what I'm doing, clear my desk, lock and shut off whatever needs it, and leave.

Syfygeek

Re: Update! Enough is enough, but how to say it?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 04:11:08 PM »
UPDATE!

I received a phone call from him. He just wanted me to know that he and his wife went to the bank to have their docs notarized, so I didn't need to worry about staying late for him.

I evidently was being too nice if he thought that was a possibility.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Update #20 Enough is enough, but how to say it?
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »
"Nope, sorry, but if you get here by four I can take care of it."

Every time he asks, same tone of voice.
Words mean things.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 07:56:37 AM »
Another thing - if he showed up in my office and stood in front of me at 4:25 with his papers, I'd tell him he would have to come back tomorrow or get notarized someplace else.  I used to hate those 4:55 calls/appearances because I need time to finish what I'm doing, clear my desk, lock and shut off whatever needs it, and leave.

I get stuff like that all the time. I get here earlier than all of the other assistants, so I leave earlier, too. Which means people either forget I leave at 4:30 or they assume I'm OK with staying late to help them because the other assistants are here until 5:00 or 6:00. My voicemail even states my hours and I'll come in to work in the morning to find missed calls/voicemails from the same people at 4:45, 4:50, 5:00, and so on. I've worked here for nearly 3 years and people still can't seem to remember or care that once 4:30 hits, I'm on my way out the door.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Update! Enough is enough, but how to say it?
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 07:58:53 AM »
UPDATE!

I received a phone call from him. He just wanted me to know that he and his wife went to the bank to have their docs notarized, so I didn't need to worry about staying late for him.

I evidently was being too nice if he thought that was a possibility.

"No worries, I wasn't planning to."  ;D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 08:37:10 AM »
Hi

I work retail and our posted  hrs are xx - yy, and people show up at 1 minute before yy and think they can start shopping and we'll just stay late, since we're there to serve them. Right? no, not right.

I would suggest you tell anyone, posted hours are xxx but somehow stress that your out of the offce at closing.

onlyme
off topic
The retail issue is because of a norm change.  I do rember when retail establishments kept their doors unlocked till closing time and were welcome to stay until they finished their shopping. But I think once large stores with a massive labor force became more common it wasn't feasible to continue to do that.