General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Same issue treated differently

(1/7) > >>

ILoveMyCello:
Hi, I have a situation I wanted to run by you guys.

A few weeks ago, one of my coworkers was working on a pretty elaborate present for her boyfriend for Valentine's Day. It involved a lot of cutting, gluing, and markers, and took up a lot of space at her teller window. I didn't care that she was working on it because she is a hard worker and waits on customers the minute they come up. My supervisor didn't ask her to put it away and commented on how pretty it was.

The other day, I had my textbook open at my window. I was also in the drive thru. My supervisor flipped out, asked me to put it away, and accused me of not paying attention to customers. I work very hard, have a good scorecard, and just received an award for being the top teller in our district with referrals. I was pretty mad because she didn't say anything to my fellow coworker about her big project she had at her window when all I had was a textbook-but I took the high road and put it away. I'm wondering if I should do the same if the situation comes up again (I have the feeling it will) thanks

snugasabug:
That's really unfair.  It happens a lot in workplaces...those who generally stick by the book are often prosecuted for minor infractions, while others who always bend the rules are allowed to continue. Sorry this happened to you.

WillyNilly:
Is it possible someone else complained (either about your co-worker then, or you more recently) that required your manager to change the policy? Because quite honestly, I would absolutely complain about a bank teller having arts & crafts project out, it would strike me as unprofessional and distracting, and when it comes to banking and my money, that's not ok.

LazyDaisy:
It could be that your boss did have a word quietly with the other worker away from where you would overhear. That is actually how managers should handle reprimands. It could be that the worker asked privately for permission or other reasons that you may not be privy to. If you do want to pursue this, I would ask your boss to clarify the rules and gently bring up that you have seen other workers with non-work related tasks at their window and thought that it was OK to do. It could also just be unfair treatment and that's the way of things sometimes. My guess is that the manager figured co worker's Valentine's Day card was a one-off incident since it only comes once a year but studying from your textbook could be a continual distraction and your manager was heading that off before it became a habit.

Hillia:

--- Quote from: WillyNilly on February 18, 2013, 07:33:00 PM ---Is it possible someone else complained (either about your co-worker then, or you more recently) that required your manager to change the policy? Because quite honestly, I would absolutely complain about a bank teller having arts & crafts project out, it would strike me as unprofessional and distracting, and when it comes to banking and my money, that's not ok.

--- End quote ---

This.  When you're handling my  money, I expect your full attention, and I don't expect to have to work around your crafts project. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version