Author Topic: Things you wish you never saw . . . please see Post #46, pg. 4, before posting  (Read 7785 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
The Facebook photos.  Yep.  There's someone I'm considering defriending because of that.  What really made me consider the defriending was a photo of a newborn who was born with his heart on the outside of his body.  The caption said something about Facebook donating a dollar for every "Share" that was made, but I couldn't bring myself to share it.  I sort of resent things that say "Share this or blah-blah-blah" anyway, truth be known...

It's a scam anyway - nobody's donating anything for sharing a pic or liking a page, and pretty much all of those are simply exploiting the image of the poor unfortunate child without asking, telling, or even considering the actual child or their family. Everyone I see posting that on FB gets a reply with a link as to why it's a scam and "it can't hurt" is not a good reason for sharing them. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Ooooh. Photos of poor babies suffering from Harlequin Ichthyosis disease. Photos of adults look to be in just as much pain, but there's just something about how the disease affects a newborn...  :'(

To save you from the images that will appear on a Google search, it's (very basically) a rare skin disorder that causes a sufferer to produce as many skin cells overnight as normal people produce in 2 weeks. The skin grows in large, scaly patches that can break at the slightest movement, causing much pain and threat of infection. The skin around the eyes and mouth a particularly affected, giving babies with this disease a very strange appearance.

You can imagine the difficulty of dealing with it as an adult, but as a child or baby? So sad  :(

I saw some pictures too, once. Sometimes it's barely recognisable as a baby, and looks moe like something from a horror movie.

While I was reading Wonder, a very good book about a boy with facial/cranial deformities, I looked up the condition it said he had.  Some of those poor babies, I couldn't even quite tell what I was looking at. :'(

On the subject of harliquin babies, I just like to thank God that there are treatments for it now. When I first learned about it (in about third grade, I found it in a medical textbook) it was fatal. Now children with it can grow up and live somewhat normal lives with special lotions and creams. I saw a discovery special about a pair of little girls with it and they were talking about their lives and treatments (and, in the older girl's case, boys. Particularly a boy she liked at school who gave her a valentine and a rose. It was really sweet.)

Medical science is a beautiful thing.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Google image "werewolf on stairs". Somebody posted that image on their facebook page, and I hit it without warning. Had nightmares for a week.

That is awesome. One person's "wish I'd never seen it" is another person's treasure.  :D

As for horrid animal pictures on Facebook, I use the Hide feature ASAP when those turn up. So far no one I know has been a repeat offender in this area, but it is something I'd unfriend someone over. I did have to uncheck the Show in News Feed option for one page I'd liked, as all they ever post are depressing pictures of animals in shelters who need to be adopted. While this may increase their chances of adoption (I hope), it just makes me sad.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
On a lighter note, I have seen multiple fashion choices today that I wish I had not seen.

1. A woman with cherry red pants that have yellow and green plaid, a green shirt and a yellow jacket. It was like a crayon box exploded. (Gas station)
2. A woman in orange stretch pants, with brown boots and a red jacket. (grocery store)
3. A woman with an orange crop top, the bottom of which was tucked under her bra, extremely elaborate navel jewelry (5" chandelier), and a sheer black skirt that was mini length in the front and floor length in the back. (grocery store)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
American History X, the curb scene.  The movie itself was good but I could have gone a good while longer without having seen that scene. 

There was a time when I used to watch horror movies with a guy friend (dh is not a big one for horror movies with gore) and so I saw movies such as the Exorcist and Hostel, to name a few.  He brought "Saw" over but we didn't get through it cause he wasn't feeling well and had to leave.  I was not terribly heartbroken at not seeing it.  I admit, I was trying to not look like a wimp and like I could take some of those things but I couldn't. :P

Though Exorcist wasn't as bad as Hostel.  I actually like horror movies that aren't really all that gory and are really more psychological rather than having gratuitous gore.  Though I had a hard time falling asleep after "Exorcist." I have a tendency to get the feeling of levitation while going to sleep and usually it's downright cool.  It happened that night after seeing that movie and freaked me right out.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
I've added the faked breast rash photo to things I wish I never saw.  Even knowing it is faked, still freaked me out. 

AylaM

confession:

I've googled most of the stuff on this thread (excluding stuff I know is bordering on pron).  Loving this thread.  And hating it too.  Eeew.  But I keep looking.

Things that have made me cringe the most:
Saw movies.
Botfly images.

Miss Tickle

We have a saying for when this happens, "My eyes, my eyes!/Your eyes, your eyes!" One morning we knocked on my FIL's hotel room door and he answered in his birthday suit. We both said it to each other that time.

nuit93

confession:

I've googled most of the stuff on this thread (excluding stuff I know is bordering on pron).  Loving this thread.  And hating it too.  Eeew.  But I keep looking.

Things that have made me cringe the most:
Saw movies.
Botfly images.

I googled it too--you're not the only one!

crella

The Facebook photos.  Yep.  There's someone I'm considering defriending because of that.  What really made me consider the defriending was a photo of a newborn who was born with his heart on the outside of his body.  The caption said something about Facebook donating a dollar for every "Share" that was made, but I couldn't bring myself to share it.  I sort of resent things that say "Share this or blah-blah-blah" anyway, truth be known...

It's a scam anyway - nobody's donating anything for sharing a pic or liking a page, and pretty much all of those are simply exploiting the image of the poor unfortunate child without asking, telling, or even considering the actual child or their family. Everyone I see posting that on FB gets a reply with a link as to why it's a scam and "it can't hurt" is not a good reason for sharing them. :-)

Right. Here's a good article someone sent me about all those 'like this and....' pages:

http://daylandoes.com/facebook-like-scams/

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
Roadkill can really get to me, and the one I can't forget seeing was a well-known local fox.

I worked on a project for a group that handled crime and pathology. "Cadavers: Difficult Circumstances" was not a pleasant one... The one that stayed in mind was the one they dubbed tubgirl - nothing to do with the well-known one: the victim had died in her hot bath, and not been found for two weeks. The house was heated. It is the only time my brain has literally refused to register an image. I could see it, but my mind would not put it together.

whatsanenigma

Roadkill can really get to me, and the one I can't forget seeing was a well-known local fox.

Roadkill sometimes really gets to me too, and I always remind myself of what my mom used to say when my sister and I were little and all three of us were out in the car and we saw roadkill that upset all three of us.  It is a very comforting thought but I will white it out because it is also gross-but only gross because the situation that requires the comforting thoughts is already gross by the very nature of it.  So, highlight the next paragraph if you want to see what she said.

start: She would tell us that the worse the accident looked, actually, the better it was, because if there was enough force to scatter body parts and the corpse was really in bad shape, that means the animal died instantly, not knowing what hit it or being in any pain, as opposed to getting hit and having internal injuries but still being alive, and slipping off the highway into the woods or ditch, to die seemingly intact but after long and painful suffering.

I know that this is on one hand rather morbid, but on the other hand, roadkill does exist and there is nothing we can do about it, so whatever helps people like me and my sister and our mom move on from it, I think is a good thing.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
A few years ago we got a new CEO. He was a huge, huge jerk. He liked to put reminders on his Outlook calendar for things he needed to do during lunch/after work/etc. One day one of the other assistants let out this kind of strangled yelp and then told the rest of us to look at his calendar (the three of us could see his calendar appointments so that we could schedule things for him). On the calendar, it said "buy KY Yours and Mine at Rite-Aid"

Knowing that he was buying personal lubricant on his lunch break was a rather icky thought.

Also, I have seen both my MIL and FIL naked. Thankfully not together.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Let me just say that the worst dead on road incidents I have seen have been groups of animals hit. I will leave it at that.  :'(

During our crime scene class in forensic science, there were some pictures that were just awful. Worst for the tech and the class were these three: first, a woman killed her dog while committing suicide via carbon monoxide; second, an elderly man died in his home of natural causes and was not found for two months, he had become part of the sofa and they had great difficulty separating the two; third, an elderly lady died leaving her kitchen and was not found for three months, she had pets.
Moral of the last two stories, stay active and maintain re.lationships. You want someone to know you are missing.

PM me if you want more details.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
We were discussing dogs and cats as pets yesterday at lunch.  I was the only cat owner at the table; everyone else were dog people.  One of my coworkers said, 'If you die at home, your dog will guard your body.  Your cat will eat your face.'  I just shrugged and said, 'What do I care?  I'll be dead.'
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario