Author Topic: The Alternate Drop - aka Can I Demand the "Other" Meal?  (Read 18654 times)

Rohanna

Re: The Alternate Drop - aka Can I Demand the "Other" Meal?
« Reply #210 on: February 25, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »
I don't think I've ever had a quiche that however calorific or tasty would exactly qualify as "filling". Some certainly may exist, but if wasnt mentioned as anyjkng but ordinary mushroom quiche in the OP. I'd say that based on a standard plate of ribs and a standard or even large slice of quiche that they aren't particularly comparable. I like the stuff, but they are stereotypically "brunch/ladies"  food for a reason (note I said stereotypically). Pieces of mushroom the size and amount normally found in quiche are not the same as a large amount of grilled or fried portabello- so that's somewhat comparing apples and oranges.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Calistoga

« Reply #211 on: February 26, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
This just sounds like a really terrible idea to me. Why would you want to gamble on what kind of  food you'd get?

I don't think it was rude to ask for a trade unless you knew before hand that you were walking in to a situation where for 100 dollars, you might end up with an egg and mushroom pie.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #212 on: February 26, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »
I disagree.  Without having seen this meal, you have no idea of the size of the quiche or what sides it was served with.  While it is commonly a 'lighter meal' I actually don't think that such a blanket statement can be assumed.  Large portobello mushrooms can be very filling, expecially if it had starchy side vegies..

In my culinary experience, a quiche isn't going to be as filling as ribs. If it was large grilled or fried portobello mushrooms, I don't think there would have been such a fuss, even from a manly man's group expecting a manly man's meal. A quiche, especially a gourmet quiche, is not designed to be a heavy meal. No one praises a quiche for having a heavy crust or hearty fillings. It's simply not what it's designed to be - fairly light, nutritious, but with a luxurious edge in the flaky, buttery crust and delicate flavor. They could have given the men a quiche apiece, and even though they'd probably be ingesting more calories, most people can eat more quiche than ribs before they feel full. There's a reason they make mini-quiches for appetizers and not mini-racks of ribs.

Calistoga

« Reply #213 on: February 26, 2013, 04:34:20 PM »
There's a reason they make mini-quiches for appetizers and not mini-racks of ribs.

Although if you could figure out how to make a mini-rack of ribs, I'd be all for that.

I just have so many issues with the concept. One, you should only do this if both options are equal- in popularity, portion size, deliciousness...really, everything. Even then, you run the risk of people not wanting, or not being ABLE, to eat one of the choices.

If you're charging 100 dollars a plate, just go ahead and let your guests choose. This isn't a case of "be happy for the free food", it's "Here you go, egg and mushroom pie". For the price, everyone should be happy with the food.

Now. If you pay your 100 dollars and know full well you might end up with a mushroom pie, but you decide to show up anyway, take the pie like a manly man, or trade with a table mate.

katycoo

« Reply #214 on: February 26, 2013, 05:11:34 PM »
I disagree.  Without having seen this meal, you have no idea of the size of the quiche or what sides it was served with.  While it is commonly a 'lighter meal' I actually don't think that such a blanket statement can be assumed.  Large portobello mushrooms can be very filling, expecially if it had starchy side vegies..

In my culinary experience, a quiche isn't going to be as filling as ribs. If it was large grilled or fried portobello mushrooms, I don't think there would have been such a fuss, even from a manly man's group expecting a manly man's meal. A quiche, especially a gourmet quiche, is not designed to be a heavy meal. No one praises a quiche for having a heavy crust or hearty fillings. It's simply not what it's designed to be - fairly light, nutritious, but with a luxurious edge in the flaky, buttery crust and delicate flavor. They could have given the men a quiche apiece, and even though they'd probably be ingesting more calories, most people can eat more quiche than ribs before they feel full. There's a reason they make mini-quiches for appetizers and not mini-racks of ribs.

I agree that that is the norm.  I'm just saying that we're working on an assumption. The OP did not personally see the meal, and her Dad, who this story originates from, wasn't served one so he didn't eat it.  I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Also to that note, the other meals was described as a BBQ meat plate.  It was not specified to be ribs, and IME servings of ribs in Australia are SUBTANTIALLY smaller than those served in the USA.  Like, you might get 1 rack of 6 ribs.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #215 on: February 26, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »
I would be upset if i paid $100 for a meal and got a mushroom quiche because I don't know if I could choke down that much mushroom. I really don't like the taste of them. Seeing other people get yummy BBQ would make it that much worse. That said I believe the Aussies here who said it usually isn't that bad and is fine where this is practiced. I don't think it would work that well in the US though - I think our culture is too different in this matter.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #216 on: February 26, 2013, 07:12:25 PM »
Well, I think it could work well for things that a lot of people are expected to show up for, but that individualized invites aren't exactly sent out for. Conventions, class reunions, things like that. It does seem quite practical to have two meal choices, besides the second meal choice that concerned people with restricted diets call up and arrange for. Say chicken and seafood (some of the room doesn't like seafood? Okay, chicken!). It seems less of a sensible arrangement when it's something that people are obviously individually invited to, like a wedding, or if there's an obvious CRIVINS! between the dishes.

Rohanna

« Reply #217 on: February 26, 2013, 08:16:40 PM »
If I went to a wedding or event and the "alternate drop" was chicken with fettucini alfredo and beef with penne pomodoro it probably wouldn't bother me, as the dishes are "similar" enough that most people would be willing to trade around. My husband would trade and eat the fettuccini alfredo for me as I can't eat dairy- and if the pastas could well function as vegetarian options. Something wildly disparate would annoy me though.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

StarFaerie

« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2013, 12:17:15 AM »
There's a reason they make mini-quiches for appetizers and not mini-racks of ribs.

Although if you could figure out how to make a mini-rack of ribs, I'd be all for that.

Chicken ribs. They are so yummy and hold so much sauce.

Rohanna

« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2013, 12:44:53 AM »
Chicken ribs? I think that needs a split off thread :D

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #220 on: February 27, 2013, 10:56:27 AM »
Well, I think it could work well for things that a lot of people are expected to show up for, but that individualized invites aren't exactly sent out for. Conventions, class reunions, things like that. It does seem quite practical to have two meal choices, besides the second meal choice that concerned people with restricted diets call up and arrange for. Say chicken and seafood (some of the room doesn't like seafood? Okay, chicken!). It seems less of a sensible arrangement when it's something that people are obviously individually invited to, like a wedding, or if there's an obvious CRIVINS! between the dishes.

I would stay away from seafood. Lots of people are picky about what seafood they will eat and there are many allergies. I would also stay away from a meat and a vegetarian option - unless you know at least half of the group is a vegetarian. Most people who are not vegetarian will see that meat option as better - even if the vegetarian option is the more gourmet and expensive one. Beef and chicken seem safest to me.