Author Topic: When family gives you grief about "loyalty"...  (Read 2677 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
When family gives you grief about "loyalty"...
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:22:36 AM »
Given how much time we of eHell spend dealing with rude and entitled family members, I think it's only fitting that I share this article link.

Basically, it discusses famous misunderstood and misused proverbs, and the 3rd one debunked is "blood is thicker than water." Turns out it means almost the exact opposite of what most people think it means.:o ::) So we don't owe our family anything just because they are genetically related to us. We don't have to put up with their rudeness or tolerate their abuse for the sake of having chromosomes in common.

If a family member tries to make you feel guilty by using this phrase, just think of your real friends*, smile and say "You're absolutely right." >:D

*Who bond with you over the blood of living, which trumps the "water of the womb."
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: When family gives you grief about "loyalty"...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:02 AM »
I learned this in Sunday school back when I was a 12 or so

Being the smart aleck loudmouth/instigator Angelic child  >:D   that I was, when my own Aunt Bitterhag(thanks GreenEyedHawk!) trotted out this proverb to get her way that Xmas.  I took great pleasure in going to the bible and pointing out how she was "mistaken" in front of all of the family.  I'm pretty sure I was sent into another room with the "children" after that :D

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:17:40 AM »
Lmao at Aunt Bitterhag!

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 02:29:27 AM »
Really enjoyed that article, thanks for sharing!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 03:54:51 AM »
Wow, bold kid :) Your Aunt must've loved you.

I've never had the phrase pulled on me by any of my family members, but if it does...

What is great I was reading it earlier, my sissie came out with a shortwave radio, and asked me if I was reading the proverbs article! :P She beat me to Cracked for once... XD

Given, with some of my mum's moves, I might consider the water drying up...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:20:55 AM »
Unfortunately,  the link doesn't seem to be working. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:48:28 AM »
Wow, bold kid :) Your Aunt must've loved you.

I've never had the phrase pulled on me by any of my family members, but if it does...

What is great I was reading it earlier, my sissie came out with a shortwave radio, and asked me if I was reading the proverbs article! :P She beat me to Cracked for once... XD

Given, with some of my mum's moves, I might consider the water drying up...

I know now that what I did was really rude and probably ticked off a bunch of the older folks.  Hence the banishment into another room. 

Shalamar

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
This is off-topic, but I'm thrilled to see other Cracked fans here!  I adore that site, profanity and all.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 12:08:05 PM »
I also enjoyed the article and have now added Cracked to one of my favorites.

Blood may be thicker than water but here in West Texas oil is thicker than both and worth a lot more money.  Sorry, thinking about the fight we are having in our family over some mineral rights.

I have not spoken to my sister in several years, she is toxic.  That is not going to change.  I was recently asked if I was ever going to forgive my sister.  My reply, "don't know she has NEVER asked for forgiveness".  If she ever asked at least I would be able to consider it, right now - no.   

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:11 PM »
Since I learned the site is 'Cracked', the link worked. 

It's both entertaining and informative.  Thanks for tuning us in.  Cracked will now be on my list of daily checks. 

heartmug

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
I have not spoken to my sister in several years, she is toxic.  That is not going to change.  I was recently asked if I was ever going to forgive my sister.  My reply, "don't know she has NEVER asked for forgiveness".  If she ever asked at least I would be able to consider it, right now - no.

I have said that too!  About both my sister and MIL.  People will ask me the same thing and I will say that or "why would I give them something they never asked for?"
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:59:21 PM »
That's the thing about my folks. Not a word as far as asking for forgiveness. Not a one.  They've sent things, my mother even decided to remind me of her phone number, said they miss us, would like to hear from us again.

But not a word about being asked for forgiveness. I'm getting a "you're being silly and have gone on about this long enough, now call us." vibe.  I thought about it, figured maaaaybe just to see what might happen, if they would apologize in person, maybe time has made them realize they're not infallible. 

I asked for a sign recently to see if it would be worth it and got a fbook message from an aunt, my godmother, letting me know they've turned their nastiness to her. I gave her my # and told her she could contact me if she needed anything.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Redwing

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
This is off-topic, but I'm thrilled to see other Cracked fans here!  I adore that site, profanity and all.

Absolutely!  I particularly enjoy John Cheese's articles.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »

Same here! I have their app on my phone.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 05:46:45 PM »
I "charity" that article!

My MIL says "blood is thicker than water" with a sorrowful look in her eye & her nose pointed down with eyes glancing upward, kind of like Dowager Countess of Grantham but with zero class.

Ha ha! It means the opposite of what she thinks it does!