Author Topic: When terrible, abusive parents come crawling back, what do their grown children  (Read 3205 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!

onyonryngs

Absolutely nothing. 

MrTango

Coley

Absolutely nothing.

POD. And thanks to bopper for posting this article.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Absolutely.  And in reading it I found myself nodding when I read a bit about the children of abusive parents getting pressure to mend ties.

I have been hearing from people in her position for years, adult children weighing whether to reconnect with parents who nearly ruined their lives. Sometimes it’s a letter writer such as “Comfortably Numb” who has cut off contact with a parent but is now being pressured by family members, and even a spouse, to reconcile and forgive.

Yeah, I've gotten that. Not so much from my DH anymore but in the first year he seemed to think my mother would come around at least and I could have a relationship with her.  We got some news last week involving possibly the only other family member who sees them for who they really are that confirmed that they're no where near to some sort of miraculous change of personality.

I joke with DH that at least they haven't alienated my brother so they still have someone to look after in their old age.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

heartmug

Bed. Made.  Lie.  I agree with everyone else.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.