General Etiquette > Family and Children

Family Photo...Help!

<< < (18/18)

auntmeegs:

--- Quote from: Surianne on February 22, 2013, 12:35:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: TootsNYC on February 22, 2013, 11:20:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: Surianne on February 21, 2013, 09:43:14 PM ---
I think where we differ is that I've never understood why simply saying "I prefer not to" isn't acceptable when it comes to declining photographs in a way it is with other things (say, declining to participate in an activity, declining to eat an offered slice of cake, or declining to attend an event).  A simple "No, thanks" should be acceptable without making someone a special snowflake or selfish.

--- End quote ---

I think the lack of patience with it comes because a photograph isn't about you, and isn't really FOR you. Refusing to participate in a big family photograph is not the same as refusing to eat a slice of cake or refusing to attend an event (though that could be pretty close in terms of hurt feelings, etc., depending on the importance of the event).

A photograph is specifically a gift for the other people who might look at it.

And its impact on you can be pretty minimal. The sort of people who delight in mocking you on Facebook because of the not-attractive photographs are VERY few and far between.

So you stand there patiently, and you smile for the 2 seconds after the photographer says "smile!" and then you go away. You never have to look at the photograph itself. It doesn't *need* to really impact you.

And do you think you are the only one who doesn't like how they look in photos? No, you're just the only one who thinks that somehow you SHOULD look good in all photos, or that the world should be shaped in a way that YOUR concerns about photos should be catered to, even if the rest of us have gotten over the self-consciousness. And you come across excessively self-focused.

Honestly, the rest of us don't care that you look a little doofus-y. Your insistance on avoiding the photo just makes you seem more selfish; WE all look a little doofus-y, but we sit there and smile so that our family and friends can look at pictures later and love us from afar.

Do you like to see photographs of other people? If you have *ever* enjoyed looking at a pic of your cousins / your kid / your parents / your friends, then you need to do your part. Suck it up and smile, and then just neglect/refuse to look at the photograph afterward. Or, when you do look at it, look at the OTHER people in the picture.

I have a LOT more sympathy for people who say, "please don't take candids of me," and very little for people who won't stand in the group photo of the family for a couple of seconds.

Being rude about it is rude. Rude to the person who doesn't want to get their picture taken AND rude to the other people bcs the bully/sneak/whatever is making a fuss.

(as for digital photos--I'm personally not that worried about group family photos.)

--- End quote ---

That was incredibly insulting and mean, Toots, particularly the bolded.  Really not okay, at all.

--- End quote ---

What about it was insulting and mean? 

Surianne:
The section I bolded, auntmeegs:

--- Quote ---And do you think you are the only one who doesn't like how they look in photos? No, you're just the only one who thinks that somehow you SHOULD look good in all photos, or that the world should be shaped in a way that YOUR concerns about photos should be catered to, even if the rest of us have gotten over the self-consciousness. And you come across excessively self-focused.
--- End quote ---

Shouting, insults, and bizarre assumptions about what I think that were overly personalized (YOUR!!!) for reasons I can't fathom.  There was absolutely no reason Toots needed to go that far in making her point, whatever it is.

bansidhe:

--- Quote from: Twik on February 22, 2013, 12:27:53 PM ---What exactly is meant by "absolutely terrified"? If it means full-flown panic attack, that's a disability, but one that should be treated by therapy, particularly if it's something related to one's employment. If your boss wants you to speak in public as part of your job, you'd best learn how to do it, or find another job. Sometimes, we have to exceed our comfort zones.
--- End quote ---

Which is why my example specifically did not include a work scenario.

--- Quote from: Twik on February 22, 2013, 12:27:53 PM ---I don't think one can claim to be "absolutely terrified" that one will not look good in photos. If one is, it's something beyond the normal discomfort some people have regarding having their picture taken.
--- End quote ---

I've known quite a few people who go beyond the normal discomfort level where pictures are concerned. It's not the norm, obviously, but it's not uncommon either. In any case, it's not for other people to decide if and when someone should be pushed out of her comfort zone.

If someone at your (general "your") family reunion dinner is squicked out by the sight of mushrooms and has thus never tried them, would it be OK to pressure that person to try your special mushroom casserole? Nope. And no, I don't see any difference in importance between this scenario and a picture-taking scenario.

--- Quote from: Twik on February 22, 2013, 12:27:53 PM ---I agree that the lack of patience the OP has noted is that, to the person taking the photo, the intent is not to see someone looking better or worse than they normally do. It's to "freeze" a moment that they will want to return to in memory, and be able to keep some of the details that we lose as time passes. "There we all were. We were happy that day, weren't we? So nice to think back on it...."

Refusing to take part in that sort of photo is irritating to many, because it's refusing to let the moment be captured in full.
--- End quote ---

At the risk of sounding harsh, tough. It's not the responsibility of others to capture moments or make memories for anyone else. If it happens, fine. If it doesn't, well, that's life.

snowdragon:
Personally, I do not take pictures.   And I am willing to pay the price for it.  It's my face, my image in that photo and I get to control when it is taken.  You can call me all the names you like, but the fact that you need to resort to that or whining, bullying and sneaking tells me that the one who thinks it's all about them - is not the person opting out of pictures. Its the one who can't accept it.
  Why exactly does someone else get to make this determination for another person?    This type of crap is part of the reason why I do not do family parties anymore. I have not been to one in 30 years.  When people start forcing pictures --- they might want to consider what the end result will be, and if not seeing folks because of their "need" to dictate pictures is actually worth it.

Wordgeek:
This isn't even in the neighborhood of being a productive discussion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version