Author Topic: The "extra" swimsuit....  (Read 11721 times)

missknowledge

Re: The "extra" swimsuit....
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 05:45:10 PM »
If I were you, I'd start "forgetting" your extra suit.

This. 

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 06:03:19 PM »
Hmm. While I think she is incorrect, I do understand where she is coming from. It sounds like you're lending her the same suit every single time she takes the class. From her perspective, it's probably a case of "She's letting me use this swimsuit every time I want it, why doesn't she just give it to me?" or something like that. Because she sees that you have and use a different suit, and you always have this other suit available for her, she probably assumes that you don't need/use the spare.

I think your tactic of making plans that don't involve the class is the best way to go here.

The problem is, if I read the OP correctly, that the friend is in the habit of not bringing a swimsuit, and that things that go to friend's house disappear in a black hole.

So if the OP decided to let the friend take the suit home, it seems likely she'd never see it again.

General comment: OP, I'd start "forgetting" the spare suit. Maybe a bit of natural consequences would help your friend take responsibity for herself. Can you tell I've been through something similar?  :)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 06:18:09 PM »

Me too!

Lindee

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 06:25:51 PM »

Me too.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »
Even if the OP gives her the suit, I can see it taken home and never seen again.  And the friend still expecting the OP to give her yet another backup suit because she "forgot" again during the next class.  It sounds like she's using the OP for supplies so she doesn't have to buy her own or lug it around.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »
"Sorry, Friend, I don't have an extra suit right now.  I let a friend borrow it and she never gave it back, can you believe it?  We can go walk the track instead, if you don't have a suit."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »
"Sorry, Friend, I don't have an extra suit right now.  I let a friend borrow it and she never gave it back, can you believe it?  We You can go walk the track instead, if you don't have a suit."

;)  >:D

LazyDaisy

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
lol. That would convey both that she has to provide her own suit and also that the "extra" suit is not used by her exclusively (if she didn't already know). Might make her rethink wanting to use it altogether.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 07:19:50 PM »
lol. That would convey both that she has to provide her own suit and also that the "extra" suit is not used by her exclusively (if she didn't already know). Might make her rethink wanting to use it altogether.

Ewwww.  That's a good point.  Next time she calls you rude and demand that you give her the suit, say "That's not possible.  I keep it to loan out to anyone who forgot theirs.  It's been a lifesaver for quite a few people already.

eta: Of course, I'm a wimp and would just tell her I don't have an extra suit today.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 07:21:57 PM by rose red »

Carotte

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »
I vote for forget the suit next time.
At least around here there's always a vending machine inside the swimming pool selling suits, swim cap and even googles I think. They're really basic stuff but in a pinch I'm sure they're pretty usefull - if you have the same thing point it out to her, she might have forgotten her suit but hey, she can buy her own right now!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 08:24:01 PM »
A decent swimsuit is not cheap.  It isn't like borrowing a pair of gym shorts and not returning them. Even glomming onto something like that would be a bit much.

If the OP's friend doesn't bring her own work-out gear, she doesn't work out.  It's as simple as that.  She needs to be told firmly but politely that this is not going to continue. 

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
A decent swimsuit is not cheap.  It isn't like borrowing a pair of gym shorts and not returning them. Even glomming onto something like that would be a bit much.

If the OP's friend doesn't bring her own work-out gear, she doesn't work out.  It's as simple as that.  She needs to be told firmly but politely that this is not going to continue.

Exactly. I think the OP has been extremely generous in letting her friend continually borrow the swimsuit. I agree with the idea of "forgetting" to bring it, in future.

Craftymom

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »
I would not go with this friend to the Y anymore.
Also, absolutely NO extra ANYthing gets brought with you. You can tell friend that you don't want to be rude, so you have stopped loaning her things..

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »
I agree that you need to stop lending her the suit asap. If she forgets hers, oh, sorry, I guess you won't be able to do the class today. It's HER problem. Stop making it yours.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »
You made it clear you were lendin it to her. It is rude of her to keep insisting you let her have it. Due to that, I wouldn't let her borrow it at all anymore. She can buy her own.

Same here. I wouldn't feel inclined to lend her anything ever again.