News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 08:08:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pies and Fruit Desserts  (Read 7421 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Pies and Fruit Desserts
« on: December 06, 2006, 11:20:11 AM »
LEMON TART PIE
If you crave a very tart, lemony pie, this is the recipe to try! This is a simple pie to make and is elegant. It's good stuff!

5 whole eggs
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup sugar
1 prebaked sweet butter pie crust
5 lemons' juice and grated rind (I used dried lemon peel found in bakery section)

Whip together eggs and sugar using a whisk until well blended. Add lemon juice and grated rind. Stir in the melted butter while continuing to whisk. Pour into prebaked butter crust and bake for about 20 minutes in a 350 oven. Serve hot or cold.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 11:22:09 AM by Ehelldame »

kckgirl

Re: Pies and Fruit Desserts
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:08:10 PM »
Brandied Fruit (retreadbride)

To start your brandied fruit, put 3 cups sugar and 3 cups fruit into an apothecary jar or crock with a loose lid. Stir well. Keep lid on and put your jar near your stove. It should never get cold or be placed in a draft but remain at room temperature. Use only peaches (canned or fresh), pineapple and maraschino cherries in about equal amounts to fill your 3 cups. Put a piece of tape on the outside of your jar to mark your three-cup level.

Leave it near the stove. In about two weeks it will begin to bubble and ferment. Until that time, stir it every day with a wooden or plastic spoon (never use metal!).

You must never let the contents of this jar get below three cups or fermentation will stop. Every two weeks add one cup of sugar and one cup of canned or fresh fruit such as pineapple tidbits or small chunks cut in half, maraschino cherries cut in half or sliced peaches cut in half. You must not add fruit more often than two weeks but its okay to delay it a day or two without disastrous results. If you delay youll naturally have to change your calendar for later to keep your 2-week schedule covered. Suggest marking a calendar so you wont forget to add your fruit.

When you have six cups of fruit, divide it into two jars with three cups in each. Then add one cup of sugar and one cup of fruit to EACH. Recommend dividing it before adding the fruit and sugar.

Fruit is very good on ice cream or pound cake. It can also be used in fruitcake recipes. It makes a nice gift and people will always be interested when they see it in your kitchen because its so pretty. NEVER REFRIGERATE IT and NEVER place a tight lid on it. The fermentation can cause the jar to explode. The apothecary jars or loose crocks are perfect because the lids rise, allowing the pressure to release.

Dont forget to stir the fruit daily to help the sugar dissolve and NEVER use a metal spoon.
Maryland

retreadbride

Sweet Potato Pie
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 11:44:58 AM »
I use Mary McLeod Bethune's recipe, which we cooked in Homemaking in the seventh grade in honor of Black History Month. Mrs. Bethune made these pies and sold them to fund her school for girls, which is now part of Bethune-Cookman College.  It's luscious. Makes three pies, or two very thick pies.

9 md Sweet potatoes or yams; (about 4 pounds)
1 c (2 sticks) butter or margarine; softened
c Granulated sugar
c Firmly packed brown sugar
ts Salt
ts Nutmeg
3 Eggs; well-beaten
2 c Milk
1 tb Vanilla
3 Unbaked 9-inch single crusts

Boil sweet potatoes until tender. Peel and mash. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine butter, sugars, salt and nutmeg in large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until creamy. Beat in sweet potatoes until well mixed. Beat in eggs. Beat in milk and vanilla slowly. Spoon evenly into three unbaked pie shells, using about 4 cups filling per shell. Bake 50-60 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature before serving. Store in refrigerator. Makes 3 pies.

XRogue

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:19:50 PM »
Never Fail Pie Crust

4 cups all purpose flour
1 3/4 cups solid vegetable shortening
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 beaten egg
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 cup cold water

Directions
Mix dry ingredients in bowl and cut in shortening well. Mix in remaining ingredients until thoroughly moistened. Cut into four equal pieces. This will make 4 single or two double crusts. Follow cooking directions for the filling of your choice. To make a prebaked pie crust for a cream pie, cook in lightly sprayed pie pan on 400 degrees. Watch carefully as it tends to slide down sides when cooked empty like that. Roll out on flat, clean surface that has been dusted with flour to prepare crust for pan.

Chocolate Cream Pie

Chocolate Custard Pie

One 9 inch pie crust, baked.

4 separated eggs (save the whites in a mixing bowl to make meringue. Put yolks in a different bowl and beat them half to death with a fork)
3 cups milk
1 cup sugar
4 ounces chocolate, chopped up (I just use chocolate chips, it's faster)
2 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons each cornstarch and flour (yes, both. Better texture)

Mix milk, sugar, vanilla, chocolate, cornstarch and flour in heavy saucepan.Cook on medium high heat, stirring constantly with a wisk, till thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir 1 cup (or so, don't bother measuring, just pour some in) into the egg yolks. Put yolk/filling mixture back in the pan, return to heat, and cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Add margarine, stir around till it's melted, and put filling into pie crust.

To make meringue, beat egg whites with mixer until soft peaks form. S.L.O.W.L.Y. add 2/3 cup of granulated sugar. Put on top of pie filling, sealing the edges well first. Put in 350 degree oven and let it get a bit brown on top. (should be 10 minutes or less)

Refrigerate and eat cold.

Brentwood

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 05:36:39 PM »
CRANBERRY APPLE PIE

1-1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups fresh cranberries
1/4 cup maple syrup
5 apples, cored and sliced
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup dried bread crumbs

In a large saucepan, mix together sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and salt. Add cranberries and syrup. Mix together over high heat, stirring constantly. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir apples into simmering mixture and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until apples are tender. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts. Pour into 9-inch unbaked pie shell; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, 3/4 cup flour, brown sugar, and melted butter. Mix well and sprinkle over apple filling. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Brentwood

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
GLAZED APPLES

3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
dash salt
3 unpared tart apples, thinly sliced

Melt butter in a skillet. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add apples. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender and glazed. Makes 4 servings.

matf

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 08:45:12 PM »
A great family recipe (posted from memory):

Cranberry Apple Crisp

Filling:
4 cups fresh cranberries, washed
6 cups apples, peeled and chopped (granny smith are particularly good)
2 cups white sugar

Mix together and turn into a greased casserole dish.

Topping:
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter/margarine

Mix together by hand and crumble onto top of casserole.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Can also add cinnamon to filling and/or topping.

jais

• Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:50:10 PM »
My Grandma made 'rhubarb crunch'. It was very similar to apple crisp.  If anyone has a recipe, I'd love it.  I thought I had it, but my mother informs me it was lost in the fire.

officeworker

• just sitting in my cell - er, cubicle
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 02:33:34 PM »
This recipe couldn't be easier!  It will satisfy any sweet tooth. Don't think about the calories....

Pineapple bread pudding

1 can crushed pineapple w/juice
1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
5 slices of white bread, torn into small pieces

Cream butter and sugar.  Add 1 egg at a time.  Mix in pineapple, then bread.

Pour into baking pan.  Bake at 350 for one hour.

My notes:
A double batch will completely fill a 9x13 baking pan.  For a double batch, increase baking time to 1 1/2 hours.  Because it bubbles up a bit, you may want to use a drip pan underneath the baking pan. I used nonstick spray on the glass pan before pouring in the mixture. For leftovers, it's good cold, but 20 seconds in the microwave takes the chill off.

veraobsession

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 01:19:40 AM »
I would love a recipe for a lemon icebox if anyone has one.

I'll also add my own recipe.

Apple Dumplings
2 cans crescent rolls
3 or 4 apples
1 1/2 stick butter
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 can Mt. Dew (or Sundrop)

Preheat oven to 350.Grease 9x12 pan, peel apples, & slice into thin pieces. Wrap the apple slices in each crescent roll. Bring butter, sugar, & cinnamon to a boil. Pour boiling mix on top of the dumplings, then pour Mt. Dew on top of them. Bake for 30 min.

catsrme7

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 02:23:39 PM »
RHUBARB CRUMB

Crumb topping:
1 c. sifted flour    c. melted butter
c. oatmeal   1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. brown sugar

Press of crumbs in greased 9 layer pan.
Cover with 4 c. cut rhubarb.

In saucepan combine:
1 c. sugar   1 c. water
2 T. cornstarch   1 tsp. vanilla

Cook stirring until thick and clear.  Pour over rhubarb.
Top with remaining crumbs.
Bake in 350 oven for 1 hour.

LB

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »
No more replies to this topic please - editing in progress.