Author Topic: "20 Things That Ain't None of Your Business"  (Read 2691 times)

Coley

"20 Things That Ain't None of Your Business"
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:16:07 AM »
I saw this blog post yesterday that lists 20 issues that aren't anyone else's business. It seems to touch on quite a few of the issues that we see on eHell. #7 made me laugh out loud.

http://www.danoah.com/2013/02/20-things-that-aint-none-of-your-business.html

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: "20 Things That Ain't None of Your Business"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:30:08 AM »
#19 seemed especially true.  That was a good read :-)

MrTango

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »
That's a great list.  I just wish my friends would understand that their status on those topics is none of my business (and I'd really rather not hear about some things).

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 10:56:14 AM »
I love the "when it might be your business" sections. They are hilarious!
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

amylouky

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:45 AM »
Oh, I love Single Dad Laughing! Hadn't seen that list yet, but it is great. He just makes so much SENSE all the time.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:13:16 AM »
That is an excellent list.  It's funny and so true.  Thank you for sharing it with us. 

Dalek

• Am not amused!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:14:14 AM »
So true! Thanks for sharing.
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Coley

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:16:26 AM »
Oh, I love Single Dad Laughing! Hadn't seen that list yet, but it is great. He just makes so much SENSE all the time.

I love it, too! I'm neither single nor a dad, but I love his posts.  :)

snowdragon

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
I have issue with some of them.

It is certainly someone's business if someone makes a play for their wife/husband.  and parents don't parent in a vacuum: so if your parenting choice means your  (general you) kid is harming me, my family, my animals or my stuff... I get to say something. If your kids is preventing me from seeing/doing/enjoying stuff because "adults need to stand back and let kids do XYZ and you can't because you're too old" - sorry, I am saying something...ect.   But as long as your kid is being age appropriately reasonably behaved  - yup your choices should not be questioned.

Yup until you keep ponies in your house, I think the authorities might take issue with that.  ( Can they be potty trained??? Ewww.)

heartmug

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »
Good list.  I wish I could send it to certain relatives ("what is the monthly mortgage for your house?")
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

MrTango

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »

It is certainly someone's business if someone makes a play for their wife/husband.  and parents don't parent in a vacuum: so if your parenting choice means your  (general you) kid is harming me, my family, my animals or my stuff... I get to say something. If your kids is preventing me from seeing/doing/enjoying stuff because "adults need to stand back and let kids do XYZ and you can't because you're too old" - sorry, I am saying something...ect.   But as long as your kid is being age appropriately reasonably behaved  - yup your choices should not be questioned.

Yup until you keep ponies in your house, I think the authorities might take issue with that.  ( Can they be potty trained??? Ewww.)

I think the issue here is not the "parenting decision" but the fact that the child is harming you, your family, etc.

I think an exception to all 20 items on that list (i.e. when they become my business) is when the person's [insert topic here] affects me.

snowdragon

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 12:58:40 PM »

I think the issue here is not the "parenting decision" but the fact that the child is harming you, your family, etc.

I think an exception to all 20 items on that list (i.e. when they become my business) is when the person's [insert topic here] affects me.

But he's not willing to give that exception from what he says - it' just shut up about it, it's my decision.  There are several things in this list that I agree with but
the two I mentioned *really* bug me because it's slanted so much in the favor of the person making the choice.  Like the relationships ones - as I said do what you want, but if your choices interfere with other folks relationships, you don't get to say "It's not your business".  It seems to me that he wants a lot of latitude  in what he feels is no one else's business but does not acknowledge that sometimes it is other folks business.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 02:12:44 PM »

Is the bolded in response to a particular point out of the 20? I assume it's in response to one or more of these: 3 (crushes), 4 (sex lives), 18 (belief in marriage)? In any case, I did not understand the list as saying that your own spouses choices were none of your business; I think it refers to one's larger circle of family (i.e., other than spouses and dependent children), friends, and acquaintances. With that caveat, I think his rules still apply. If someone "makes a play" for your spouse and your spouse takes them up on it, then the fundamental problem is between you and your spouse, not between you and the other person. If your spouse turns them down but is being harassed, then the issue is harassment, not anyone's crushes/sex lives/belief in marriage. Otherwise, if your spouse invites your input in addressing the situation, then you've been invited to offer an opinion by one of the people directly involved (explicitly allowed for by the list). If your spouse prefers to handle it without your input and you don't think that's right, then that's a matter of internal relationship dynamics between you and your spouse, not between you and the other person. Also note that the list never suggests that you're obligated to hang out with anyone you find distasteful, just that you should stay out of their business. If someone propositions your spouse, you don't have to continue interacting with them. If your spouse wants to keep hanging out with them, then again you're back to internal relationship issues.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
I'd love to send this list to my aunt who swears that my crush on Adam Levine is the equivalent of cheating on my husband.

Unless I show up at Adam Levine's house with a suitcase full of lingerie, whipped cream and a crow bar it's unlikely that anything will result of my crush.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 04:41:38 PM »

But he's not willing to give that exception from what he says - it' just shut up about it, it's my decision.  There are several things in this list that I agree with but
the two I mentioned *really* bug me because it's slanted so much in the favor of the person making the choice.  Like the relationships ones - as I said do what you want, but if your choices interfere with other folks relationships, you don't get to say "It's not your business".  It seems to me that he wants a lot of latitude  in what he feels is no one else's business but does not acknowledge that sometimes it is other folks business.

It seemed obvious to me that "if it doesn't directly affect you" was an implied caveat throughout. He set it up in the introduction as "when it has nothing to do with you." This line seems to sum it up: "If itís not directly affecting you, your life, or your happiness, itís none of your business." If something is directly affecting you, it is your business.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver