Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

You're lovely and slim/you need to lose weight!

(1/7) > >>

Samgirl2:
Just had the following conversation with my mother over the phone after I emailed her some photos from a recent event I was at. 

*I'm not trying to lose weight, the only time I have ever dieted is last year for my sister's wedding because I knew I was being the maid of honour :-) but I do weigh myself once a week at the gym, so I tend to know what I weigh and can do something if it goes up or down. Basically I work out a bit more some weeks! My Mum has yoyo dieted for as long as I can remember

Mum: Those photos are great and you look lovely and slim
Me: Thanks
Mum: Have you lost weight recently?
Me: No
Mum: How much do you weigh?
Me: 155lbs (I'm 5ft 10, UK12/US8)
Mum: Oh, I weigh 143 lbs
Me: That's great, but you're 4 inches shorter than me. The last time I weighed that I was 18.  I have been my current weight, give or take a couple fo pounds, for 10 years.
Mum: Well, if I can do it you can. you need to get back down to that weight,
Me: Why? You just said I looked lovely and slim!
Mum: Because now I know I weigh less than you and you could do it if you tried. you're younger than me, you should weigh less.
Me: But you are much shorter than me! We shouldn't weigh the same, and I don't want to lose any weight thanks.
Mum: Well you should.
Me: *does quick calculation My BMI is 22, yours is 23 I think I'm fine.
Mum: But you must want to weigh less than me?!

Must I? Do I? Gah!  What bizarre logic and assumptions!

Judah:

--- Quote from: Samgirl2 on February 20, 2013, 12:30:39 PM ---Just had the following conversation with my mother over the phone after I emailed her some photos from a recent event I was at. 

*I'm not trying to lose weight, the only time I have ever dieted is last year for my sister's wedding because I knew I was being the maid of honour :-) but I do weigh myself once a week at the gym, so I tend to know what I weigh and can do something if it goes up or down. Basically I work out a bit more some weeks! My Mum has yoyo dieted for as long as I can remember

Mum: Those photos are great and you look lovely and slim
Me: Thanks
Mum: Have you lost weight recently?
Me: No
Mum: How much do you weigh?
Me: It doesn't matter, Mom. Bean dip.

--- End quote ---

Your conversation should have ended much sooner.  Don't let her take you there.

BeagleMommy:
I agree that you should have ended the topic sooner.  After you said you hadn't lost weight she asked what you weighed.  You could have said "I don't really pay attention to the numbers" or something similar.

Next time tell her "Less than an elephant but more than an ant".

DottyG:
Agreeing with the others.  You don't have to answer "How much do you weigh?" by anyone.  It's your business alone.  Bean dip that question.

Betelnut:
This should go in the "Brain hurt" thread!  When I weighed 155 at 5' 9 ", I could barely maintain my weight!  I was almost too thin for that height (and my appetite!) 

Your Mom is wrong!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version