Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

You're lovely and slim/you need to lose weight!

<< < (5/7) > >>

DottyG:

--- Quote ---I would consider switching doctors if mine ever stopped checking my weight.
--- End quote ---

And I have switched doctors when it's apparent that weight is the only thing they're looking at instead of why I'm there.  If it's done in a "this is just something we put in the records as a vital sign", it's one thing - and I don't mind that.  But there have been too many times when they've gotten so fixated on a weight that they can't focus on the issue I'm there for - even if weight has nothing to do with it.  And I've fired doctors for that.

Girly:

--- Quote from: DottyG on February 27, 2013, 06:26:19 PM ---
--- Quote ---I would consider switching doctors if mine ever stopped checking my weight.
--- End quote ---

And I have switched doctors when it's apparent that weight is the only thing they're looking at instead of why I'm there.  If it's done in a "this is just something we put in the records as a vital sign", it's one thing - and I don't mind that.  But there have been too many times when they've gotten so fixated on a weight that they can't focus on the issue I'm there for - even if weight has nothing to do with it.  And I've fired doctors for that.

--- End quote ---

I've had doctors mention to me that it would be in my best interest to lose weight, but never have any of them been fixated on it and ignored any of my other problems. Sorry you seem to have a row with crappy doctors!

My fertility doctor was the one that had suggested the most strongly that I try to lose weight, as in a lot of cases it makes 'things easier', but he never in any way made me feel ashamed.

I also had a doctor change my dosage of medications due to weight when I was sick, thought I can't for the life of me recall what that was.....

DottyG:

--- Quote ---Sorry you seem to have a row with crappy doctors!
--- End quote ---

Oh my goodness!  I have many a story I can tell about crappy doctors! :D  The one who misdiagnosed a condition such that I now have permanent scarring on my eye, the one who denied having my medical records but actually had them underneath his chair and was rolling across them, the one who was too embarrassed to talk about the urinary system and how kidney stones form (he was a urologist - surely he, of all people, can talk about the urinary system?!), etc.

I've lost a lot of the respect I once had for doctors!  I've witnessed too many bad ones.

Softly Spoken:
Just wanted to rant a little and since this thread is already started I will put it here:

Commenting on anyone's change in size is such a minefield, I really don't understand why people assume it can/should be considered appropriate or even a compliment. People can lose weight due to illness, or gain because they are on medication etc. etc.

Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so "failing" to lose weight when you exercise can just mean you are doing it right! ::)

I am fat and I really really hate that everyone assumes any exercise I do is so I can lose weight. I am not trying to lose weight. I am trying to up my stamina, strength and energy while lowering my depression. I'm never going to do anything just to try and make myself look how other people think I should. Stop assuming that I don't work out, that I can't, or that when I do it's because I'm on a diet/wedding/New Years resolution etc. >:(

/rant

JeseC:

--- Quote from: Softly Spoken on May 04, 2013, 12:45:14 PM ---Just wanted to rant a little and since this thread is already started I will put it here:

Commenting on anyone's change in size is such a minefield, I really don't understand why people assume it can/should be considered appropriate or even a compliment. People can lose weight due to illness, or gain because they are on medication etc. etc.

Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so "failing" to lose weight when you exercise can just mean you are doing it right! ::)

I am fat and I really really hate that everyone assumes any exercise I do is so I can lose weight. I am not trying to lose weight. I am trying to up my stamina, strength and energy while lowering my depression. I'm never going to do anything just to try and make myself look how other people think I should. Stop assuming that I don't work out, that I can't, or that when I do it's because I'm on a diet/wedding/New Years resolution etc. >:(

/rant

--- End quote ---

This goes for us skinny people as well sometimes!  I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons, and I enjoy walking/running because, well, it feels good.  But I HATE it when people look at those choices and either assume I'm doing it for my weight, or worse tell me "you're so skinny, you don't need to do that!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version