Author Topic: Is it still rude to wear black to a wedding?  (Read 4721 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Is it still rude to wear black to a wedding?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »
Silk is light, or try a pashmina. I found some online for $9.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2013, 01:14:23 PM »
I would never do it.  Miss Manners says No White, No Black and if you know the shade the bridesmaids are wearing, then you shouldn't wear that either.

The Miss Manner disapproves of the vast majority of wedding guests in NYC and LA.

CreteGirl

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2013, 04:05:57 PM »
In NYC its considered weird to wear anything but black to a wedding!  ;D
(ok not really, women do occasionally wear colors and they aren't seen as weird, but black is definitely the most popular dress color for formal events 'round here.)

Amen.  There is black and there is black.  The classic LBD with a bit of color in the jewelry or accessories is just fine in NYC.  It's seen as formal and a way of drawing attention to the bride. 

The problem of wearing black to a wedding is if you dress like a traditional Mediterranean widow. That would be seen as a sign that you did not approve of the marriage.

That is exactly what happened at my wedding.  A relative wore a black dress and a large black hat to my wedding.  She is someone who I believe did not approve of our marriage, and I felt it was rude.  Had she been someone who I knew wished us well, I would have felt differently.  Festive accessories should be worn with anything black to alleviate the appearance of mourning, is my opinion.